Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2001 5:39:35 AM EDT
That'll make you waste a good pair of underwear.

[url]http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20011218/ts/afghan_firing.html[/url]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 5:42:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 5:46:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Why is it so unbelieveable? If you were a military pilot in Afghanistan flying recon and suddenly see a bunch of flashes comming from the desert floor, it would never enter your mind that those flashes were possibly aimed at you?
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 5:58:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:08:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The article said the air craft were "transport aircraft", C130s, on a "reconnaisance mission".  No mention of the term RC130, which would most likely be the real term.  For the C130s to be [i]taking off[/i] and see muzzle flashes, Muslims with guns would have to be quite close to the departure end of the runway.  What would warrant substantial attention from the nice US Marines in the area.  No mention of that was made in the article.
And what kind of reconnaissance aircraft gets surprised in this manner?
Perhaps I am being silly and ignorant, but there certainly are questions.
View Quote

Yeah, I noticed the reconnaisance/C130 thing too. I just figured that the media screws up so much shit already that they probably didn't know what they were talking about and screwed up part of the story.

Or maybe they were just out there searching (reconning) for a place to drop a few daisy cutters they didn't have room to store back at the base? [;D]

Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:14:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:27:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And you know what's more?  I [i]think[/i] the Marine version of the C130 is the MC130.  The M is the letter designation for Special, or Special Mission.
Of course, I can't find my Military Aircraft Specbook, so I can't verify that right now.
View Quote

Yeah, but if even you aren't sure then there is no way the media will know what they are talking about. You and I both know they never research their stories anymore and report anything that comes out of [b]anybodies[/b] mouth.

That's the main reason I take everything reported on the news with a grain of salt. I know that something in every story is going to be wrong. You know, all of those "semi-automatic, bolt action assault rifles" and stuff like that.

Todays media is geared to report semi-factual stories to uneducated masses who in turn believe every word that is uttered.

It's too early in the morning for me to get started on this.....[%|]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 3:41:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:10:24 AM EDT
[#8]
MC130's are delivery vehicles for "Daisy Cutters" among other things.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top