Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2008 1:58:39 PM EDT
Will this finally force the Brits against their government? Is there anything left to do overthere except drink?

Story Here

LONDON (AP) - Britain is considering a ban on "happy hour" discounts at bars and restaurants to curb drinking, a spokesman said Saturday, as health advocates warned that a rise in liver-related deaths among young people may signal a future epidemic.

Health officials will decide on whether to ban the happy hours - designated times for discount drinks - once an independent policy review is published in coming weeks, a health department spokesman said on customary condition of anonymity.

The proposal was one of several aimed at stemming a trend in binge drinking in recent years, particularly among teenagers and young adults. The government also plans to spend 10 million pounds ($15 million) on a new public awareness campaign, and wants to improve enforcement of laws against underage drinking.

A health advocacy group said some of those young people were now showing signs of liver-related damage usually seen in older people.

Given that it can take 15 to 20 years for liver disease to develop, the British Liver Trust warned that the figures suggested the problem would only get worse.

"We're seeing a steep increase of deaths in people in their 20s and 30s," Trust spokeswoman Imogen Shillito said. "This indicates a big problem for many years to come."

National statistics show a steady rise in the number of alcohol-related deaths that typically fell heavy drinkers in their 40s and 50s who have abused alcohol for decades. From 1991 to 2006, the number of such deaths more than doubled to 8,758.

Alcohol-related deaths among people aged 25 to 29 were 40 percent higher in 2006 than the year before, Shillito said, citing national statistics.

Shillito said low prices for alcohol had helped encourage drinking among British youths, noting "they can buy alcohol with their pocket money."

The government plans to base its new alcohol policies, including possible new programs to help people reduce consumption, on the upcoming review by the School of Health and Related Research at the University of Sheffield.

Officials say the report should clarify whether retail practices lead to excessive drinking. They are considering a ban on a number of practices, including drinking games and speed-drinking events popular at some British pubs.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 1:59:49 PM EDT
[#1]
repost.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 2:01:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Wait, I never though this free medical care would mean they could control my intake.  Blimey.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 2:12:02 PM EDT
[#3]
If it were Ireland there would be blood in the streets.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 2:17:50 PM EDT
[#4]
So it's not the taking guns or free speech but  beer that will get our butter tooffed friends to go Guy Fawkes

Wow
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 2:22:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Isn't this like shutting the barn door after the horse is already out?
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 2:25:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Kansas already has this law on the books

No "Happy Hours" where drinks are discounted for a certain period of time.
A bar can have drink specials but they must go all day, not just from say 5-7.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 2:28:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm am just not surprised by anything that goes on over there now. Hell, I wouldn't even bat an eye if tomorrow they taxed air
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 2:29:13 PM EDT
[#8]
They should try to force Ireland to adopt this position.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 2:30:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Soooo glad my ancestors left that God Foresaken Big Brother Government.

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 2:31:51 PM EDT
[#10]
happy hours rule
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I know a very conservative Englishman, and even he has mentioned in the past how problematic the alcohol situation is over there.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 2:35:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yes, we are light years better here.

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 2:39:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Do people really drink because of Happy Hour?

Or do they drink because they're raging alcoholics?
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 2:44:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Its coming here, with a quickness.

All hail the ONE!
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#15]
UK outdoes The Onion again.....
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 2:50:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Thats why I left the damn country!  Stupid crap all the time!
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 2:51:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Because the Nanny State knows better...

Christ...

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 2:52:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm not even remotely surprised by any stupidity that comes out of the UK anymore.  I lost all respect for that country a long time ago.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 2:57:00 PM EDT
[#19]
My mom's British, a war bride of WWII era.

My dad was over there in the army.

My uncle was in the RAF.

It pisses me off to see what the left has done to that country...they got good reason to be drunk all the time.

Russia has the same problem.  

When you remove liberty and hope, what the hell do you expect of people?
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 3:03:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I was born there. Mom was teaching there, I spent the first 17 years getting the shit kicked out of me because my Mom was from US. Lived a total of 24 years there, they are dogs because they let themselves be treated like dogs.  The older generation was great, but they lock themselves in their homes to avoid the thugs.  In a recent survey 40% of adults said they thought kids nowadays were just vermin!  That tells you alot.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 3:05:27 PM EDT
[#21]
They should just tax them more.  What are they going to do when they say enough is enough? Nothing.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Wasn't happy hour originally intended to reduce traffic?
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 3:12:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wasn't happy hour originally intended to reduce traffic?

The road to Hell, er, nevermind.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top