Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2001 11:43:09 PM EDT
Here's the scoop:

I have an evaluation copy of a solid modeling program... It does everything the store-bought program will do, except it will only work for thirty (30) days. Thirty days has unfortunately come and gone, and in my current (unemployed) situation, I am unable to shell out the bucks for the real deal.

I uninstalled the program, except I had a message that some elements were not able to be deleted. Specifically, what looks to be the files that only allow it to be installed once. I could not find a path to delete them by way of a folder, etc.

Is there a way around this? Some way to trick my computer or the program into never knowing this happened? Something like deleting a cookie or whatever?

Any help or input is truly appreciated. More info (as much as I can provide, anyway) is available if necessary.

Thanks all,
havoc
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 12:13:52 AM EDT
[#1]
try looking in these places:

[url]http://www.bibabutze.de/linkz.html[/url]
[url]http://www.joni.easynet.co.uk/cendex.html[/url]
[url]http://www.cracks.am/main.html[/url]

good luck!
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 12:30:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm assuming you're using windows.

Basically there's a program called regedit.  It's a register editor.  Programs use the register to store information.  What the program probably did was store some information in the registry about when the software was installed, etc.  So when you try to install it again it sees you already registered it 31 days ago or so.

What I would do theoretically is use the find feature to find words associated with the progam.  If the program was called whizbang, maybe i'd search for that word.

Have fun.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 12:44:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 1:21:41 AM EDT
[#4]
You can always try setting your computer clock back twenty days or so. Could work.

More drastic, just install windows from scratch. Then install the program again.
You will of course lose all of your installed programs and data files if you don't back them up

Link Posted: 12/18/2001 1:28:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Too late now since you've already uninstalled, but a lot of the time, programs that work for "only 30 days" will run just fine if you set your computer's clock back.

My computer frequently thinks that it's still May of 1999.

You might also be able to reinstall it if you erase your harddrive, reinstall Windows (I assume) and any other software you want, and then reinstall the package.  Or just buy a new drive (pick up a small one, used) and run this program from it -- use your existing drive as a secondary, so you can save your files on it, and reformat-and-reinstall on that little drive whenever you need to.

These tricks won't work with the more modern programs that require activation over the 'net (by talking to their home site to make sure this sort of crap doesn't happen).  For modern stuff, your only hope is a hacker board, and you're probably as likely to see your machine zombified as to get a working program.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 1:46:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Can/would you post the Program name and EXACT version number if possible??

(IE: Bob's solid modeling program, Version 4.3)

That would help a LOT with trying to find a hack for it!
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 2:00:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 2:10:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Can/would you post the Program name and EXACT version number if possible??

(IE: Bob's solid modeling program, Version 4.3)

That would help a LOT with trying to find a hack for it!
View Quote

Autodesk Inventor 4.0, and I'm running Windows 98.

I have an authorization code, request code, etc, but until I can completely wipe the old / embedded / whatever program files out, it will not let me use them after I try to re-install.

BigBear: Point taken.

Neutrino: My apologies.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 2:43:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 8:15:36 AM EDT
[#10]
If you are using Windows you can try the following.
(1.) Uninstall the program
(2.) click on the Start Button and go to "Run" and type in regedit (This will open up your registry).
(3.) click on the folder: "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" and navigate to the folder that says "Software".
Then look for the folder created by the installed program (Example: usually if the company's name of the application was called "Foobar" then the folder will also be called "Foobar").

Delete this Folder.

(4.) Next go to the Folder labeled: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", Navigate to the folder called "Software" and repeat the same procedure as described in step (3.)

(5.) Close the Registry, and in the start menu go to Find. And type in the name of the software application that you've uninstalled. Delete all folders and files related to it.

(6.) You are now ready to re-install the Application.

Other Tricks:

Another Trick is to reset your Calender back by 30 days.

If you've downloaded the software a lot of times the Authorization Code is only good for 30 days and you will need to get a new Authorization Code from the site that you've downloaded the software from.

Link Posted: 12/18/2001 8:49:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Since Big_Bear found a crack for version 5.0, you would probably do yourself a favor by downloading the trial 5.0 version from Autodesk's site. Once you apply the crack, the proggy should be fully functional.

You could always post a request in alt.binaries.warez or a related newsgroup for a full install copy. Someone might post it up there for you. Of course you would need NewsBinPro or something similar to pull the UUEncoded messages off your ISPs NNTP server.

Of course this would be illegal and I have no real knowledge or experience with pirating activities.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:31:56 AM EDT
[#12]
No flame, but why do y'all think it's OK to steal software?

'Cause that's what you're doing. [rolleyes]

Oh! Everyone does it so it must be OK, right?
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:44:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top