Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2008 7:43:05 PM EDT
Are frying pans dishwasher safe? If not, why? I thought I've heard that you can't for some reason. I would think that some soap and 200 degree water wouldn't hurt a piece of metal that is put on a open flame and heater to over 600 degrees. So, what's the story? Can I?

Kris
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:45:36 PM EDT
[#1]
If they're anodized aluminum and/or non-stick coated, hand wash them.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:46:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Cast iron should not be washed thoroughly and should never go in the dishwasher.  
They are seasoned and dishwashers can alter that affecting the taste and way food cooks.   Aluminum/teflon coated pans are good to go.

For Cast iron. wash with warm soapy water. dry and rub lightly with a paper towel that is slightly oily.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Why?

BTW, is your "account locked" sig line from the power washer thread?
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:56:01 PM EDT
[#4]
this is news to me
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:00:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

BTW, is your "account locked" sig line from the power washer thread?
I think the steam will, over time, start to separate the coating from the base metal. Also, the exterior finish will be bleached by the (relatively) harsh detergents in the dishwasher. My girlfriend and I have the exact same cookware. Mine have never been in the dishwasher, get used frequently and look brand-new. Hers get used much less frequently, have been through the dishwasher almost exclusively and look like 100 miles of bad road.

Yes to the power washer question.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:02:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Are frying pans dishwasher safe? If not, why? I thought I've heard that you can't for some reason. I would think that some soap and 200 degree water wouldn't hurt a piece of metal that is put on a open flame and heater to over 600 degrees. So, what's the story? Can I?

Kris
Hell yes. If I couldn't put frying pans in the diswasher, they wouldn't get washed. Rince them out when you're done with them, then put them in the washer. lower level. When the dishwasher is full, run it. I always use the Pots & pans cycle, and the High temp wash.

Men were not ment to wash dishes, women were. Why the hell do you think dishwashers were invented?

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:20:47 PM EDT
[#7]
If you don't like your pans and skillets then by all means...put them in the dishwasher.

My skillets get a good scrubbin' with a scotchbrite pad under hot water then back on the stove heat to get them up to temperature and a light rub with a paper towel soaked in a little veg oil.  I can't remember the last time anything stuck to them.

My stainless steel pans get hit with the sponge/scrubbie with soap.  For stubborn stuck on food I'll break out the steel wool.

My teflon coated pans get the sponge/scrubbie.  They are the shortest lived of my pans so I should help them last as long as possible.

I was taught that having the right tool for the job makes everything easier.  And I take care of my tools
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:38:10 PM EDT
[#8]

I am writing to say that I have been cooking exclusively with cast iron pans and grill for the past five years and could not be happier.

That is all.

-Z

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top