Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2008 6:13:02 PM EDT
Just had to educate my friend on this important distinction.

Security contractors have loyalty to their side, while mercenaries are only loyal to the highest bidder.

Blackwater isn't going to start working for the taliban if they suddenly come up with a huge amount of money.

Mercenaries would.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:15:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Security contractors have loyalty to their side, while mercenaries are only loyal to the highest bidder.

Blackwater isn't going to start working for the taliban if they suddenly come up with a huge amount of money.

Mercenaries would.

I've known some men who without doubt fit the job description of, and who would call themselves, mercenaries, and they still pick and choose who they would work for, regardless of the pay.  Even mercenaries have their individual codes of ethics.

-Ben
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:16:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Mercenaries would.

No... That's not the difference....

Mercenaries are active combatants - soldiers for hire...

Blackwater = Super-duper, elite special-forces Mall Ninjas....

Think Wackenhut/Securitas with automatic weapons & decent combat training....

Mercenaries can participate in offensive combat operations....

Security Contractors can only protect their contracted principals.....

(Kind of like how the mall ninja can't go chase down drug dealers & do traffic stops.... But private police (sworn LEOs working on contract) can)
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Mercs = offensive

Contractors= deffensive
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Aw

Gee

Not

This

Shit

Again

6 to one, Half-dozen to another
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top