Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2008 3:36:45 PM EDT
I have never had an aftermarket trigger.  

What has been your experience with groups right before and after the swap?

What are some benefits/cons to a 2stage trigger?
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:39:23 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not going to be a huge difference, IMO.  Basically it gives you better control over the rifle.  With a lighter, crisper trigger, you're less likely to move the rifle when pulling it.  It's not necessarily an accuracy enhancement as much as an aid in consistency.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:42:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Easier to fire off bursts.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:42:25 PM EDT
[#3]
i noticed a measurable difference.

Not a fan of the 2stage, but they're certainly preferable over the stock trigger for shooting groups.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:50:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Not a fan of the 2stage, but they're certainly preferable over the stock trigger for shooting groups.

It can definitely help.  If you have a really long, heavy trigger it's hard to pull it and keep your sights aligned and on target.  It's definitely easier with a good 2 stage.  But I just don't think it's in the same category as free floating a barrel or other accuracy enhancements.  It's not as easy to say you'll get 1/2 MOA better accuracy IMO.  But it would definitely be interesting to do a "before" and "after" comparison with the same rifle, ammo, etc.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I know what the concepts are.  I just want to see if anybody has any real results.

I have done "do it yourself" trigger jobs on a lot of my guns.  They 'seem' to help, but I'd like to do one of the aftermarket triggers if they are that much better.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:11:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Stock Bushmaster to a RRA two-stage.
Groups cut in half.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:16:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It can definitely help.  If you have a really long, heavy trigger it's hard to pull it and keep your sights aligned and on target.  It's definitely easier with a good 2 stage.  But I just don't think it's in the same category as free floating a barrel or other accuracy enhancements.  It's not as easy to say you'll get 1/2 MOA better accuracy IMO.  But it would definitely be interesting to do a "before" and "after" comparison with the same rifle, ammo, etc.

I say that if you are using a stock trigger ...you will play hell getting sub moa groups..

I don't know anyone who keeps a stock trigger in a "GO TO" rifle...Even my plinkers have match triggers..

I think that the match trigger is a must have when it comes to accuracy...that goes for any accurate firearm..
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:18:57 PM EDT
[#8]
This was shot with a 24" RRA SS upper using an LMT 2-stage trigger (4.5 lbs, I think) and using 50 grain VMax Black Hills Blue Box. (100 yards, 34 degrees, 0 wind, and I was getting darn cold by the end of the 2nd mag I shot yesterday)

The round of Wolf way off to the side was shot using the same POA as the other shots around the center cross.  The two groups of Black Hills, the one 3-shot group to the upper left and the other 4-shot group around the center cross are pretty tight.  The 3-shot grouping of the 55 grain Remington PSP ammo is a little more scattered than the Black Hills ammo.  Hence the difference between premium ammo and typical off-the-shelf throw-bullets-at-deer ammo.

The grid are 1" squares.

Close-up:

There's no way I can shoot that good of a group with a stock single-stage trigger.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's not going to be a huge difference, IMO.  Basically it gives you better control over the rifle.  With a lighter, crisper trigger, you're less likely to move the rifle when pulling it. It's not necessarily an accuracy enhancement as much as an aid in consistency.

This.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:19:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now this is only anecdotal evidence and I/we didn't measure, but I dropped a RRA 2stage into a buddy's Bushmaster.

It's literally been years since I did this for him, but it is easy to say that his groups shrank by half.

Standard A2 upper shooting Remington UMC (or Wolf/Barnaul...he only shoots cheap shit).  I'd say his groups were approaching 5-6" at 100yds pre 2 stage.  We went back to the range to make sure everything went bang and he proceeded to shoot some decent 2.5-3" groups.  I can't tell you how many rounds he shot, but it was probably close to half a box.

It won't replace practice, but it certainly helped him.  Like you said, I don't think a match trigger would shrink an accomplished shooter's groups in half.  

I've never measured or thought to measure a non-FF vs. a FF barrel.  That would be an interesting "study".  I'd imagine its benefits depend on whether the shooter is slung up or not/ using a bipod.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:20:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Stock Bushmaster to a RRA two-stage.
Groups cut in half.

Hah, that's what i just posted above...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top