Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2008 12:48:01 PM EDT
My NY Pre-Ban AR is complete! (minus a back-ordered Magpul MAID grip)

I'm sure the Fudd's at the shooting range will be giving me the evil eye...

Parts
- 14.5" Gov Profile 1x9 Chrome-Lined Barrel w/ permanently attached YHM Phantom 5C2 Comp/Flash Suppressor
- Pre-Ban PWA Lower
- Flat Top Upper
- PRI Low Profile Stainless Steel Gas Block
- YHM Rifle-Length Light Weight FF Quad Rail w/ Forearm End Cap
- YHM Front & Rear Flip Down Sights
- Magpul CTR Collapsible Stock
- Magpul XTM Rail Panels (a bunch)
- Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard
- TangoDown Battlegrip Vertical Grip
- Thermold Pre-Ban 30rd Mags
- TacStar T6 flashlight w/ Vltor mount
- ATN Ultra Sight Red Dot
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice...  I'm working on one very similar to it right now.  Just waiting on a few parts to finish her up.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 12:51:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll be bringing mine up soon.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 12:52:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I can dig it. It's a shame you had to pay more than you'd otherwise have to, but the important thing is you're doing your best to give the finger to people who insist you shouldn't own that.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 12:53:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Hell Yeah!  You need some preban mags to go with it?  

I love sending them
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 12:54:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Incidentally, with a slight modification to the magazine release and a 10rd mag, that's legal in California too.

They've got some crafty motherfuckers out there.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 12:57:13 PM EDT
[#6]

NY PRE BAN
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#7]

My NY Preban Bushmaster Modular Carbine.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 1:30:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh my! That looks dangerous.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 1:32:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice! Where's the sling mount?[>:/]
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 1:43:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I love sending them

Yeah, how does that work?  We send them our preban mags and in exchange they send you what $20 to cover a new PMAG?

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 1:54:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love sending them

Yeah, how does that work?  We send them our preban mags and in exchange they send you what $20 to cover a new PMAG?

I think I'll pass on that offer. I got about 30 mags thanks to some great guys on here that traded/sold them for regular going rate of about $10.00 a mag.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 2:28:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Incidentally, with a slight modification to the magazine release and a 10rd mag, that's legal in California too.

Well, Almost.  That specific lower he used is listed, so swap it out with a off-list lower with the BB and 10-round mag and he'd be good to go.

As for being crafty, definitely.  Hell, we've started building legal AOWs and SBSs as well.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 2:31:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Do you have to carry a whole bunch of documentation when you go to the range?
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 2:35:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Are'nt machine guns illegal?
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 2:44:13 PM EDT
[#16]
No bayonet lug?
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 2:47:14 PM EDT
[#17]
does it have the shoulder thing that goes up?
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yup
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 2:49:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't worry about ALL the Fudds....

Here's the 6.8SPC carbine I built this summer for NY deer hunting (on a pre-ban Colt lower)  (added a Magpul MIAD grip and nicer LaRue scope mount later)

I only wish I hadn't tried to bring it across Lake George by canoe.  

Good shooting,
desmobob
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 2:53:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
the important thing is you're doing your best to give the finger to people who insist you shouldn't own that.

We're good at that up here I've learned a lot during my short stint in NY and one of the tings that I learned is that here are a lot of very pro-gun people here who fight very hard for their rights. I'll never look at people who live in ban states (and put up with this crap) the same way again.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:03:56 PM EDT
[#21]
That,my friend,is a nice rifle! I hope you didn't get hit too hard for the lower.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:11:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Not to rain on your parade-

I don't know of a single prosecution for a violation

An "assault weapon" means (a) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following characteristics: (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; (iii) a bayonet mount; (iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; (v) a grenade launcher; or (b) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following characteristics: (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; (iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; (iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine; or (c) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following characteristics: (i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip; (ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer; (iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned; (iv) a manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; (v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic rifle, shotgun or firearm; or (d) any of the weapons, or functioning frames or receivers of such weapons, or copies or duplicates of such weapons, in any caliber, known as (i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (All Models); (ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil; (iii) Beretta Ar70 (Sc-70); (iv) Colt Ar-15;(v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC; (vi) SWD M 10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12; (vii) Steyr Aug; (viii) Intratec TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and (ix) Revolving Cylinder Shotguns, such as (or Similar to) the Streetsweeper and Striker 12; (e) provided, however, that such term does not include: (i) any rifle, shotgun or pistol that (a) is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever or slide-action; (b) has been rendered permanently inoperable; or (c) is an antique firearm as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(16); (ii) a semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than five rounds of ammunition; (iii) a semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than five rounds of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine; (iv) a rifle, shotgun or pistol, or a replica or a duplicate thereof, specified in appendix A to section 922 of 18 U.S.C. as such weapon was manufactured on October 1, 1993. The mere fact that a weapon is not listed in appendix A shall not be construed to mean that such weapon is an assault weapon; or (v) a semiautomatic rifle, a semiautomatic shotgun or a semiautomatic pistol or any of the weapons defined in paragraph (d) of this subdivision lawfully possessed prior to September 14, 1994.

I'd bring my fixed stock to the range. No bayonet lug is good

ETA I missed the Pre-Ban lower
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:17:12 PM EDT
[#23]
your missing the pre-ban lowers part. they're grandfathered.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:17:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Not to rain on your parade-

I don't know of a single prosecution for a violation

An "assault weapon" means (a) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following characteristics: (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; (iii) a bayonet mount; (iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; (v) a grenade launcher; or (b) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following characteristics: (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; (iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; (iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine; or (c) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following characteristics: (i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip; (ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer; (iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned; (iv) a manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; (v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic rifle, shotgun or firearm; or (d) any of the weapons, or functioning frames or receivers of such weapons, or copies or duplicates of such weapons, in any caliber, known as (i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (All Models); (ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil; (iii) Beretta Ar70 (Sc-70); (iv) Colt Ar-15;(v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC; (vi) SWD M 10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12; (vii) Steyr Aug; (viii) Intratec TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and (ix) Revolving Cylinder Shotguns, such as (or Similar to) the Streetsweeper and Striker 12; (e) provided, however, that such term does not include: (i) any rifle, shotgun or pistol that (a) is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever or slide-action; (b) has been rendered permanently inoperable; or (c) is an antique firearm as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(16); (ii) a semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than five rounds of ammunition; (iii) a semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than five rounds of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine; (iv) a rifle, shotgun or pistol, or a replica or a duplicate thereof, specified in appendix A to section 922 of 18 U.S.C. as such weapon was manufactured on October 1, 1993. The mere fact that a weapon is not listed in appendix A shall not be construed to mean that such weapon is an assault weapon; or (v) a semiautomatic rifle, a semiautomatic shotgun or a semiautomatic pistol or any of the weapons defined in paragraph (d) of this subdivision lawfully possessed prior to September 14, 1994.

I'd bring my fixed stock to the range. No bayonet lug is good

ETA I missed the Pre-Ban lower

Pre ban.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top