Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2008 11:14:02 AM EDT
Look at that spike!  Someone knows something!

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 11:17:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Wachoo mean?
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 11:18:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Link to real time stats?
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Wachoo mean?
As soon as Hillary Clinton was confirmed as SoS, the market went up 200

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 11:19:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Savy shoppers raiding the bargain-bin.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 11:20:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm thinking about buying some Citi if it gets low enough... $3 or so.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 11:21:38 AM EDT
[#6]
CNN has it as:

Wall Street rallies on reports that Obama will tap NY Fed President Timothy Geithner as Treasury Secretary.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:09:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Ding! Ding! Ding!

The winner is Geither!

Pigman extraordinaire!

Obama knows how to pick 'em!

Wall Street cheers!

How you losers doing on main street?

Ready to revolt yet?

I'll check in again in a year and see how your doing. LOL!
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:14:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ding! Ding! Ding!

The winner is Geither!

Pigman extraordinaire!

Wall Street cheers!

Ready to revolt yet?

Yeah , because the market hasn't rallied every friday for the last few weeks just to plumet by double that every monday or tuesday right ?

Had to fix that for ya.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:16:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey Gonzo -

I think it's more day traders that are creating the huge dips and surges.  The volatility index has been at record levels for a while now; I think that there are traders who are buying at what they want to believe is the bottom (causing rallies) and selling the rallies hard (creating the huge drops we've seen).  It's been very cyclical.  Before it happened I told a buddy this morning there'd be a good rally today (over 250 pts.), just based on what I've seen cycling lately.

I could very well be wrong, but it looks like this might have been the case for a couple of weeks now.  Once the big funds sell off before the end of the year (I think they've been waiting for a good rally as well so they're not selling at the bottom) I think we'll get a little better idea of where the bottom's gonna shake out to.  After Christmas sales data is in (it's of course going to be bad) there'll be another good drop and we'll get an even better idea.

I'm JUST learning about this finance stuff, so if I'm way off base please point me in the right direction!  
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:29:43 PM EDT
[#10]
1) Short covering right before weekend where Citi may go into the shitter...who's to say we don't end up with a Bear Sterns type of Monday rally?

2) "Bargain hunting" as mentioned above

3) Op-ex

4)  Geithner is Obama's man.  Mo money mo money mo money for our friends the pig men.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Look at that spike!  Someone knows something!

No PPT tinfoil....

They're just happy that Obama put a Federal Reserve man in charge as SecTreas, instead of one of his kooky liberal academic buddies...
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:35:50 PM EDT
[#12]
OK I'm gonna throw my clueless noob theories to the wind.

There'll be about a 300 point drop in the Dow at the end of trading Monday, maybe more.  If I'm right, maybe I'm in the wrong career field!  
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:37:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ding! Ding! Ding!

The winner is Geither!

Pigman extraordinaire!

Wall Street cheers!

Ready to revolt yet?

You don't get it. The people here are more concerned about this country than who is living in The White House.

Let there be no doubt, we will be a weaker country come Jan 20.

I pray for this country and its leader regardless of party, that's why you will never understand what it's like to be a patriot.

Now troll back to DU where you will be appreciated.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:39:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ding! Ding! Ding!

The winner is Geither!

Pigman extraordinaire!

Wall Street cheers!

Ready to revolt yet?

Wow, for a second there I thought you were "Dloken".
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:44:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
CNN has it as:

Wall Street rallies on reports that Obama will tap NY Fed President Timothy Geithner as Treasury Secretary.

Obama reports he will tap NY fed President Timothy Geithner as treasury secretary, just about the time the weekly friday rally is to begin.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:00:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hey Gonzo -

I think it's more day traders that are creating the huge dips and surges.  The volatility index has been at record levels for a while now; I think that there are traders who are buying at what they want to believe is the bottom (causing rallies) and selling the rallies hard (creating the huge drops we've seen).  It's been very cyclical.  Before it happened I told a buddy this morning there'd be a good rally today (over 250 pts.), just based on what I've seen cycling lately.

I could very well be wrong, but it looks like this might have been the case for a couple of weeks now.  Once the big funds sell off before the end of the year (I think they've been waiting for a good rally as well so they're not selling at the bottom) I think we'll get a little better idea of where the bottom's gonna shake out to.  After Christmas sales data is in (it's of course going to be bad) there'll be another good drop and we'll get an even better idea.

I'm JUST learning about this finance stuff, so if I'm way off base please point me in the right direction!  

Honestly, the absolute BEST way to learn shit, is to figure it out enough to the point where you think you have an answer. Post your answer and see how many people shoot it down, and then see if you can rebuff it.

If things make perfect sense to you, even though the "schooled people" say it's absolutely wrong, you were probably correct.

School is not for learning, it's for indoctrination.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:09:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey Gonzo -

Honestly, the absolute BEST way to learn shit, is to figure it out enough to the point where you think you have an answer. Post your answer and see how many people shoot it down, and then see if you can rebuff it.

If things make perfect sense to you, even though the "schooled people" say it's absolutely wrong, you were probably correct.

School is not for learning, it's for indoctrination.

Well, that's what I'm doing here.

All I've learned so far regarding finance has come from some of the gurus here, researching what they've said anyway, CNBC and teh internetz.  I *DO* have a little bit of a background in real estate (sysadmin for a title company) so I understand how a bunch of the sub-prime mess occurred.  I have no formal schooling at all in finance other than a few assorted business classes.

Other than that I pretty much just pull down my pants and slide on the ice when it comes to economics!  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top