User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/21/2008 6:55:13 AM EDT
"Now that's fucking interesting man!"

Obama Advisers To Public: Temper Expectations
Reporting
Mike Flannery
CHICAGO (CBS) ― President-elect Barack Obama and his inner circle fear that some voters expect him to turn around the economy, wind down the war in Iraq and, perhaps, cure cancer –– all by the Fourth of July. Yes we can?

They know they must manage and lower those expectations, CBS 2 Political Editor Mike Flannery reports.

A top economic advisor to Obama had a glum warning for the rest of us Thursday morning: Neither the job market nor the stock market will be turning around any time soon.

"This might be a long haul," said Robert Reich, who was President Bill Clinton's secretary of labor. "2009 is going to be a very hard year. Some economists say we won't be out of this for two years, others are saying it may be three, or four, maybe five years." Yes we can?

Now on Obama's transition team, Reich worries about what happens after the new president is sworn in Jan. 20.

"We all have to be very careful about the expectations that we are putting on this man, our president-elect," Reich said. "If we all assume it's going to be the first 100 days, we're going to be disappointed." Yes we can?

The man who was Obama's chief campaign strategist is moving to lower expectations, too.

"We are inheriting an array problems unlike any president has faced, maybe since Franklin Roosevelt in 1932," David Axelrod said. "It's not going to be easy, not going to be quick." Yes we can?

Rick Jasculca worked for President Jimmy Carter, President Clinton and Sen. Hillary Clinton. He said Obama will need every bit of his skill as a communicator.

"If people see you reaching across the aisle and they see you making progress –– going forward rather than going backward –– I think people will give  you the benefit of the doubt," Jasculca said.

Added Axelrod: "One of his great strengths is he is never too high, he's never too low –– he's very focused."

That's why some called  him "No-Drama Obama." That has changed a bit, since the president-elect and his Chicago-based team of political operatives have begun to bring on board veteran Washington politicos.

Now there are stories quoting unnamed sources who claim, for example, that Obama's team is frustrated with Hillary Clinton's delay in taking the job of secretary of state. They're not happy with those stories.

"This is a great example of when there's a vacuum, the vacuum gets filled with a lot of speculation and hyperbole," Axelrod said. "No one is frustrated. No one is anguished. She's obviously a talented public servant and someone who'd enhance any team."

Transition aides said late Thursday that Obama plans to nominate Clinton for secretary of state formally after Thanksgiving.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:57:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I thought he was called no-drama Obama because he always voted "present".  You can't have anyone mad at you if you don't vote for or against anything.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:02:27 AM EDT
[#2]
He always was an empty vessel for everyone to pour their hope into.

Liberal whites got to pour their guilt into Obama's platitudes for hope, and downtrodden poor folks of any race got to pour their desire for Robin Hood "equality" in as well.

This is why Obama's overly simple message of hope and change went over so well. Notice that he didn't tell people exactly how he was going to accomplish such things.

I've said it here before, but they might as well have been saying Obama would bring balance to the Force...

Edit: he also got to play the "Not Bush" card heavily too... The liberals and MSM did a great job of dragging Bush's name through the outhouse basement for 6 years prior to the election...
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:03:23 AM EDT
[#3]
but,,,

sunshine and lollipops are going to fall out of his ass at the inagural..HE PROMISED.

sumbich...HE PROMISED[>:/]
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:04:28 AM EDT
[#4]
But Obama will fix everything!
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:06:10 AM EDT
[#5]
He's gonna pay my mortgage and fill up my gas tank.

- CD

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:11:19 AM EDT
[#6]
He can try to lower expectations all he wants.

The mouthbreathers expect miracles (and mortagage payments and full gas tanks) and when they don't get them they will turn on him as fast as they turned on Bush.

He will be an "Uncle Tom" by the end of 4 years.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:16:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Obama will make the rain come.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:19:45 AM EDT
[#8]
People were so dazzled and tingly legged that they failed to hear 1/2 of what he was saying. He said "I BELIEVE that everyone should be entitled to affordable health care" and what they heard was "Obamas going to pay for free insurance!"
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:21:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I thought he promised change?

So far he's been appointing clinton appointees (and clinton herself apparantly)

how is this change?
We already did 8 years of Clinton

And then his leadership on the autobailout
hmmmm
"present"

I'm losing faith already.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:23:53 AM EDT
[#10]
He's going to fail miserably. The people who voted for him expecting "change" will not be happy with the changes they see.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:31:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The mouthbreathers expect miracles (and mortagage payments and full gas tanks) and when they don't get them they will turn on him as fast as they turned on Bush.

Nope - he gets to point to the past and say "It's taken this long to undo what Bush has done..." and he'll get another 4 years to try.

I can almost guarantee it. Unless Obama screws up something HUGE, he'll get a second term. Don't believe me? Despite being completely inept and criminally incompetent, both Detroit's mayor and (in particular) Michigan's governor got elected to second terms by pointing to the past and saying they were still correcting the screwups from the previous administration.

I know, everyone's going to say "...But MY state is smarter than that..." to which I will morosely reply "we got Obama, didn't we?"
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:34:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Change and Hope with the Clinton admin
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:35:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Pretty sure that was Adam "Pacman" Jones...

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:36:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

- CD

Hell ya.  I just opted out of the company health plan because his is going to be totally free.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:38:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

He will be an "Uncle Tom" by the end of 4 years months.

"I want my money NOW!!!!"

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:40:04 AM EDT
[#16]

obamy promised to pay my gastank and fill up my mortgage !!!  help a homie out !!!
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:41:06 AM EDT
[#17]
That's why some called him "No-Drama Obama."

Yea, that Nuremberg-esque Democratic Party speech with the Roman Temple theme in the gigantic outdoor stadium was the absolute definition of low key.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:42:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think you'll hear the term "oreo" used by those whose mortgage is unpaid and gas tank is still empty.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:43:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope - he gets to point to the past and say "It's taken this long to undo what Bush has done..." and he'll get another 4 years to try.

I can almost guarantee it. Unless Obama screws up something HUGE, he'll get a second term. Don't believe me? Despite being completely inept and criminally incompetent, both Detroit's mayor and (in particular) Michigan's governor got elected to second terms by pointing to the past and saying they were still correcting the screwups from the previous administration.

I know, everyone's going to say "...But MY state is smarter than that..." to which I will morosely reply "we got Obama, didn't we?"

The United States is not Detroit or DC.

The Kenyan won because we had a R in the WH for 8 years and a worsening economy.  Nothing more.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:45:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
He's going to fail miserably. The people who voted for him expecting "change" will not be happy with the changes they see.

The people that voted for him are to stupid to realize that he didn't do shit but talk out of his ass.
In 2 years they will think everything is better, even while they are standing in a soup line.
I guess if the soup is warm that will be a pluse for Obammy

FUCK OBAMA
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:52:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The United States is not Detroit or DC.

The Kenyan won because we had a R in the WH for 8 years and a worsening economy.  Nothing more.

I agree. If more people are unemployed, in foreclosure and had their cars repossessed 4 years from now then Obama is going to be heading home to Chitown.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:55:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Okay all you Hope & Change believers, under the bus, NOW!

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:01:20 AM EDT
[#23]
On a side note : I'm fucking tired of people saying WE need to stand behind obama and help him NOW that he's PROTUS elect . FUCK HIM !!!!!

That's like saying " well you need to make the payments and keep insurance policy effective for the guy that stole you car since he owns it now " and oh yea the car needs new tires and an oil change so he'll be sending you the bill .  

obama could not even get hired in his own administration !! What a hypocrytical fucktard !

Fuck him I will resist any effort to help this dipshit succeed . He will be the greatest loser in the history of the world with my upmost individual effort.

Help this Lying , cheating , disrespectful , little asshole ?  ARE YOU FUCKING NUTS ?
obama = FAIL

He got elected and I'm supposed to forget about this assholes past views , associations , and lack of experience ?   FUCK THAT !!!!

I AM AN AMERICAN AND I CHOOSE TO FIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:04:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Wait a minute; you mean everyone isn't getting 72 virgins?   WTF!  
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:13:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Obama Advisers To Public: Temper Expectations
"This might be a long haul," said Robert Reich, who was President Bill Clinton's secretary of labor. "2009 is going to be a very hard year. Some economists say we won't be out of this for two years, others are saying it may be three, or four, maybe five years."

Did he get Granholm's speech writer to do his too?  Thats a similar line to what she gave Michigan a few years back.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:14:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Don't piss on me and tell me it's raining!  
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:16:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Yes of course. I know the kool-aid drinking Dems are in for the biggest LET DOWN in US politics. People look at the Clinton years, and for some stupid reason, believe that a Democratic as President means good economic times are guaranteed. I guess they forget about how shitty the economic times were under Carter. lol. 4 years from now, things WILL be worse, not better, and the Republicans will have ALOT of ammunition to use against this guy.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:17:26 AM EDT
[#28]
That mother fucker had better return us to prosperity and peace by Jan 31st.

YES WE CAN!!!

The Audacity of HOPE!!!

A CHANGE is in the air!!!

Get ready people. Our country will come down with a serious case of buyer's remorse next year.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:24:14 AM EDT
[#29]
HOPElessness and maybe a bit of spare CHANGE...............nothing more.

RG
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:30:19 AM EDT
[#30]
My expectations of him could not be lower.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:33:52 AM EDT
[#31]
I've been saying for a while that all of these "new" voters who never saw a reason to vote before (African Americans and students) are going to be ripshit when they find out that Obama is the same-old, same-old.

I hope that their spirits are crushed to the point where they don't vote again.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:35:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Who did the dems elect? Clinton or Obama?  Man this guy is freaked out.  the realization of getting the keys in January is starting to hit.  He has no personal ideas on how to fix shit.  He is depending on Clinton Associates to figure this shit out!

FUCK OBAMA!
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:36:22 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Yes of course. I know the kool-aid drinking Dems are in for the biggest LET DOWN in US politics. People look at the Clinton years, and for some stupid reason, believe that a Democratic as President means good economic times are guaranteed. I guess they forget about how shitty the economic times were under Carter. lol. 4 years from now, things WILL be worse, not better, and the Republicans will have ALOT of ammunition to use against this guy.
But the loons are riding high right now, I had one try to tell me "Obama will be a great president, look how he has already lowered the gas prices for us."

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:39:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Fuck yeah. Only have to make 2 more payments and it's smooth sailing from then on!

Quoted:

- CD

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:40:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Without trust, there can be no betrayal.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:44:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Lower expectations...BUT...BUT...He's THE MESSIAH! How could we expect anything less from THE MESSIAH??
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:51:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Well I for one, can catagorically state that my expectations of the chosen one can never get lower than what they are.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:05:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Anybody notice he's been layin low? I'll bet he's hidin in a bathroom sucking his thumb crying.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:30:57 PM EDT
[#40]
I want it all fixed and I want it fixed right fucking now.

He promised the world big change and a cure for all our ills.

The media supported him, cried at his speeches, named him "the one" and told us all he would make everything good again.

They told us it would be Camelot.

I WANT IT ALL FIXED RIGHT FUCKING NOW!!!

If he doesn't then he is a liar, a nazi, a thief and a thug, a retard, a moron, a warmonger, in bed with big business, a terrorist, etc...everything they called GW and more.

FIX IT OBAMA!

You wanted the job and now you've fucking got it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:34:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Anybody notice he's been layin low? I'll bet he's hidin in a bathroom sucking his thumb crying.

I hope he stays in the bathroom for the next 4 years

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:35:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I thought he promised change?

So far he's been appointing clinton appointees (and clinton herself apparantly)

how is this change?
We already did 8 years of Clinton

And then his leadership on the autobailout
hmmmm
"present"

I'm losing faith already.

A friend and I were talking about that the other day.  Boy, some change, if you consider going back to 8 years ago "change".

Plus, this right here sounds like they are already making excuses for what is going to be a massive failure and be able to blame it on Bush.  They are also already saying that he must be re-elected in 2012:

"This might be a long haul," said Robert Reich, who was President Bill Clinton's secretary of labor. "2009 is going to be a very hard year. Some economists say we won't be out of this for two years, others are saying it may be three, or four, maybe five years."

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

How could the mouthbreathers have turned on Bush?  They never voted for him.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:39:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The people that voted for him are to stupid to realize that he didn't do shit but talk out of his ass.
In 2 years they will think everything is better, even while they are standing in a soup line.
I guess if the soup is warm that will be a pluse for Obammy

FUCK OBAMA

I have been saying that within a year, a lot of those people are going to be asking themselves what the hell they were thinking.  Well, they didn't think and I am beginning to believe it won't take a year for them to question their own vote.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:44:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
On a side note : I'm fucking tired of people saying WE need to stand behind obama and help him NOW that he's PROTUS elect . FUCK HIM !!!!!

That's like saying " well you need to make the payments and keep insurance policy effective for the guy that stole you car since he owns it now " and oh yea the car needs new tires and an oil change so he'll be sending you the bill .  

obama could not even get hired in his own administration !! What a hypocrytical fucktard !

Fuck him I will resist any effort to help this dipshit succeed . He will be the greatest loser in the history of the world with my upmost individual effort.

Help this Lying , cheating , disrespectful , little asshole ?  ARE YOU FUCKING NUTS ?
obama = FAIL

He got elected and I'm supposed to forget about this assholes past views , associations , and lack of experience ?   FUCK THAT !!!!

I AM AN AMERICAN AND I CHOOSE TO FIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Come on tell us how you really feel.  

This morning on the Good Morning America or the Today Show, Mario Cuomo told us how Bo is a modern Lincoln.  

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:44:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
On a side note : I'm fucking tired of people saying WE need to stand behind obama and help him NOW that he's PROTUS elect .

Hmm, why didn't they have that attitude when it wasn't their guy in the White House.

Typical.  They scream about tolerance and say conservatives/moderates aren't tolerant when in reality it is they who are the most intolerant of differing views.

They scream about partisan politics while it is they who put party above everything else.

Fucking lying hypocrites.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:49:11 PM EDT
[#47]
An so "Yes we can!" becomes "Not until my second term".  Even the Democrats are going to be able to figure this one out.

Steve
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:50:58 PM EDT
[#48]
I hope they all begin to feel as stupid as they really are.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 10:08:15 PM EDT
[#49]
I doubt it is possible to get my expectation lowered.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 10:09:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How could the mouthbreathers have turned on Bush?  They never voted for him.

His approval rating was 80% in 03.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top