Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2008 5:14:27 AM EDT
I have the fun of cooking for 30+_ people this year, What is your favorite roasted turkey recipe?
Please either provide detailed info or a link.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:15:14 AM EDT
[#1]
deep fry that bitch

you will never go back to roasted
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:32:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Woman, is that turkey started yet?!?!
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:32:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
deep fry that bitch

QFT
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:50:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
deep fry that bitch

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:52:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:54:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:57:32 AM EDT
[#7]
BRINE YOUR TURKEY !

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe/index.html

This is the best damn turkey in the world (other then fried)
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:03:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
BRINE YOUR TURKEY !

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe/index.html

This is the best damn turkey in the world (other then fried)

+1 on the brine and the butter under the skin. What I like to do is mix herbs and spices into the butter then roll it up in a tube shape with saran wrap. Stick it in the freezer for an hour or so then slice it like cookie dough into round discs/cylinders. Stick those under the turkey and its much easier. Also put the stuffing in a pan and fill the cavity of the bird up with veggies and aromatics. Apples work too. I hate soggy stuffing! Cover with foil until the last hour or so to let it brown up. This year I am going to smoke mine for 2 hours then bake until done. :-) Can't wait!
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:15:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you do roast it, Add copius amounts of butter, in little chunks, under the skin.  Try to get a little sea salt/pepper under skin too.

Then rub outside of entire bird with softened butter and hit it with garlic salt and pepper.

+ shove an onion and an orange up its ass and keep basting that bird.

and frying is way the hell over rated. Its just convenient, thats all. I have fried more turkeys than I can remember and I find a good oven roasted is better.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:02:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Walk past the turkeys, buy a brisket, ham and/or ducks to roast.

This country would be happier if the fucking pilgrims would have had the good sense to cook a brisket for Thanksgiving.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:27:23 AM EDT
[#11]
+2 on the brine.  I did it last year for the first time and I will always do it this way.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:29:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Try ARFCOM's favorite Chef! Chef Morris

Somewhere in his 35 pages is everything you need to know about foods and cooking Chef's Index

Here's what he says on page 32 of that thread:
thought I might get some Turkey Info and recipes for Thanksgiving posted for the next few days...read em, use em or laugh at em,, your call
CHEF

The National Turkey Federation recommends that stuffing be prepared and stuffed into the turkey immediately before it's placed in the oven for cooking. When making stuffing ahead of time, wet and dry ingredients should be refrigerated separately and combined right before stuffing the turkey. Turkeys should be stuffed loosely, with about 3/4 cup of stuffing per pound of turkey.

Use these two simple steps for determining when a stuffed roasted turkey is done cooking and safe to eat:

Insert a meat thermometer into the deepest portion of the thigh, not touching bone, and allow it to come to temperature for an accurate reading. Cook the turkey until the temperature when measured in the thigh reaches 180 degrees F. (When cooking a stuffed turkey breast, the temperature measured in the breast should be 170 degrees F.)
Move the thermometer to the center of the stuffing. Once the stuffing has reached 160 to 165 degrees F, the turkey should be removed from the oven and allowed to "rest" for 20 minutes. This makes carving easier and allows stuffing temperature to continue to rise to at least 165 degrees F.
If the turkey comes with a pop-up timer, a meat thermometer should still be used to check the temperature in the stuffing.

By following these two steps, you and your family can continue the tradition of preparing a delicious stuffed turkey without sacrificing quality or safety.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top