Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2008 1:34:46 PM EDT
There is a bar in Michigan called Alberts on the ally, it is a pretty nice bar. I have been there a few times in the past, recently they decided to try something new. They want to scan your ID into there database and then TAKE your picture to store with the info. I said thanks but no thanks, I will never be going to that bar again and hopefully none of my friends will either. The bouncer even tried to hassle me when I said wtf do you think you are doing give me my ID back so I cant get out of your fucked up bar.  

Why in the fuck would they need that much info? Do they honestly expect me to believe they do not sell that info to a 3rd party? Please tell me my tinfoil is not to tight here and I'm not overreacting.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:35:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Alot of bars/pool halls swip ID's, but a pic?!?!?!  Hell no
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:37:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I knew something was up when they asked this old guy for his ID. Then I looked ahead and saw what they were up to. No way, I left.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:54:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Fuck that.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:09:45 PM EDT
[#4]
wtf? thats crazy!
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:25:16 PM EDT
[#5]
We have more bars then gas stations in this town and I have never heard of such a thing.

Driver's licenses in MI don't have a name encoded in the swipe bar so I wonder what the purpose is.  Checking for fakes?  The picture part is a little more troubling than a swipe machine.

I think I would have to pass as well.

Joe
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Lots of bars are doing this, in an attempt to weed out fake IDs. Some states are using holograms and other means of creating hard-to-fake IDs.

Bars are a waste of money anyway, and that keeps me from going there in the first place, but I won't even hand my ID over if I see readers or non-security cameras.

I don't have a cell phone or an RFID equipped passport, so yeah, call me a tinfoiler if you want.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 3:15:07 PM EDT
[#7]
You're not paranoid at all, I would have flipped the fuck out if the bouncer hassled me when I tried to get my i.d. back and leave.  
It's a free market (for now...) forget that place and drink somewhere they don't do it, hopefully they will go under.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 3:18:41 PM EDT
[#8]
yeah cause the effing regulators go around with kids and good fake IDs and fine the shit out of bar owners and the staff. SO some company says hmmmm we can protect you from that with out stupid assed device.

I keep telling folks fuck worrying about gov't spying on you it will be private sector that screws you in the end.

Here in Silicon Valley in a new industry, I meet with vendors all the time that have all sorts of crazy shit. Stuff that records you, tells us is it you or not, stuff about your computer when you log in etc.

We tell 99% no thanks and get your crazy asses out of here.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 3:20:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Fuck that.

indeed [flight attendant] buh bye now! [/flight attendant]
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 3:38:02 PM EDT
[#10]
there's a bar we go to after work a lot and a few of my coworkers are friends with the owner
they were playing with the swipe machine once but I can't remember what all it could pull off the bar code on a NY license
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 3:59:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Bars/clubs are starting to do this to weed out fake ID's. The reason they want your picture is if you are 86'd they can red flag your ID and share info with other establishments.

I.E, Reds Bar kicks you out and calls/transmits Black Bar with the info that Joe Shmoe was *86'd for severe intoxication and or fighting. Be aware.

A lot of bars in Europe are using this system. There was a huge article in a trade magazine a few months ago.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#12]
So, if your drivers license spent a couple of minutes on the deGausing  machine it wouldn't hurt to let them swipe it.  I'm just saying.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top