Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/20/2008 10:43:34 AM EDT
Since the economy has started to take a shit I have noticed quite a decrease in illegals in our area. I guess the little cockroaches ran for safer haven.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:45:08 AM EDT
[#1]
There was a house in our neighborhood that was home to several Hispanic families.  Most of them seem to have moved away.  Either that, or they're keeping a lower profile.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:47:03 AM EDT
[#2]
We've got just as many as ever and I think the numbers are actually growing.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:49:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
We've got just as many as ever and I think the numbers are actually growing.  

So that's where they are all going.  You can keep them.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:56:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Like RATS from a sinking ship!!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:56:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes.  Thanks to HB1804

SUMMATION OF OKLAHOMA'S HB 1804 LAW

HB1804, the Citizens and Taxpayers Protection Act, dealing with clamping down on illegal immigration was signed into law by Governor Henry on May 8th.

This legislation is a product of several years' consultation with state legislators from both parties. It is an important step for the IRLI strategy on incremental state-by-state reform. IRLI provides technical assistance to legislators based on successful measures from other jurisdictions.

HB 1804 is tough on employers violating the law and prevents illegal aliens from obtaining drivers license and benefits, while still protecting the privileges and immunities of U.S. citizens and respecting constitutional rights for all persons. HB 1804 includes a mix of criminal, fiscal and anti-fraud provisions that collectively restrict the ability of illegal aliens to unlawfully work and reside within the state.

The Statement of Legislative Intent (Section 2) declares the states compelling interest in immigration law compliance, finding that illegal immigration causes economic hardship and lawless and has been improperly encouraged by public agencies within the state.

Section 3 replicates the federal provision that makes it a felony punishable by imprisonment for not less than 1 year or a fine of $1000.00, for any person to transport, harbor, or shelter an alien in reckless disregard for their illegal immigration status. State and local prosecutors now have the tools to stop illegal aliens from "residing" in Oklahoma, or traveling instate in search of unlawful employment.

Section 4 restricts issuance of most official identification documents to U.S. citizens, legal permanent resident aliens or holders of valid unexpired visas. Illegal aliens cannot operate in-state if they lack official documentation. Use of foreign consular cards issued to illegal aliens has been prohibited.

Section 5 requires police to verify the immigration status of persons who have been arrested and detained at a local jail for felony crimes, and report all illegal aliens to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

Section 7 requires all public employers to use the Basic Pilot electronic work authorization verification program. State and local public contractors are prohibited from commencing work on a taxpayer-funded contract before they register with the Basic Pilot Program.

Section 8 requires every public agency to verify the lawful presence of aliens aged 14 years or older who applies for state or local public benefits, using the online SAVE system, as authorized by the 1996 Welfare Reform Act. Standard federal exceptions for emergency health care treatment or other public health services apply. This measure builds on similar provisions developed by IRLI that have been successfully adopted by Virginia, Colorado, and Georgia.

Section 9 provides that employers shall withhold state income tax for independent contractors who failed to provide a Social Security number. Reduces the incentive to hire illegal aliens as cheap day laborers and "contractors," and helps safeguard workers compensation and other labor law protections against abuse.

Section 10 directs the Oklahoma Attorney General to negotiate a "287(g)" cooperative agreement between the State of Oklahoma and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to increase state and local police joint enforcement of federal immigration law with DHS. 287(g) agreements help insure that illegal aliens discovered by Oklahoma police officers are quickly and safely transferred into federal custody. Helps fight "catch and release" abuses that allow criminal aliens back into the neighborhoods where they were arrested.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:10:22 AM EDT
[#6]
No decline.  But they do seem to be driving better cars.  I guess welfare fraud is profitable.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:12:35 AM EDT
[#7]
In my neck of the woods they're keeping a lower profile.

they know the public sentiment and realize they're one misstep from being shipped back to Texas Mexico.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Since the economy has started to take a shit I have noticed quite a decrease in illegals in our area. I guess the little cockroaches ran for safer haven.

Hell they arent stupid.At least they have somewhere to go.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Nope, there's still plenty of illegals doing the lawn work here on post. (not joking.  They knock over my daughter's toys in the backyard all the time w/ leaf blowers etc, and when my wife goes to bitch them out they can't even get a single word of english out)

Seriously... ON POST!
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:03:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Not even a little bit.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:07:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Still plenty of mesicans in AZ . However , does anyone remember what has historically happened to illegals during severe economic downturns here in the US ? Here's a hint , it ain't pretty cause as scapegoats go, they are #1 . Day're taking our yobs !!! ( all of a sudden they're doing jobs Americans will KILL for !!
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:23:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Others have noticed too.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27827387/
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#13]
dont see anything employer sanctions pretty fucks an employer who hires an illegal and gets caught, they are fucked royally when they get fined and audits/searches are conducted.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:23:57 PM EDT
[#14]
decline?
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:29:16 PM EDT
[#15]
they don't do so well in the cold weather
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:36:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Just as many here.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:37:36 PM EDT
[#17]
No, no I haven't....
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:39:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Seem to notice there are more around here.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:40:05 PM EDT
[#19]
In HOUSTON?  Are you kidding?
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:40:40 PM EDT
[#20]
A lot of our CA foreclosures are due to them buying up houses with several families living there, then taking all the equity out when the prices went up, then bailing on the house and moving back to MX with all the cash.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:42:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Most mohados are day workers for cash employed by wheato's with plenty of dinero.

Now that things are uh, tight, most wets are having a hard time getting a job.

Plus, like already said, it is WINTER.

One more thing, Wets are the construction gangs for housing, you know what that market is like.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:42:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Before i opened this thread, I knew you were not in Texas.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I have noticed fewer of them standing in the line at the Post office sending money and packages to Mexico......things are much faster at the PO now that the clerks don't have to try and communicate with those that cant speak ENGLISH.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:57:27 PM EDT
[#24]
The economy is down.  The jobs they held, roofers, framers, concrete, brick layers, and on and on, are on hold right now. No jobs, no money, home sweet home.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:58:14 PM EDT
[#25]
All the houses they were renting are vacant, yards over grown, and air conditioners gutted.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:03:08 PM EDT
[#26]
A lot fewer here. When the home building went south - so did they. My best friend builds houses and the guy he had who ran the crews told him they were leaving by the bus loads. That was back before summer. Then when the schools opened this fall they had to lay off teachers because there were not nearly as many students as they had planned for.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#27]
They still seem to fill pickup trucks heading to work somewhere while I drive on I-75.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:15:58 PM EDT
[#28]
More are showing up as we are not suffering like most of the country. We will get ours also, we just run a little behind most of the country.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:20:16 PM EDT
[#29]
They are still here
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:22:37 PM EDT
[#30]
In AZ.

We had our yearly neighborhood garage sale, normally 5 to 1 spanish speaking customers.

This year it was only 2 to 1. I guess sheriff Joe scared a few away.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:26:56 PM EDT
[#31]
I have noticed that they aren't quite as .... blatant about their status now.  Lat summer, you'd walk in a fast food place or past a roofing job, and the spanish language was loud, spanish on the radio, all you could make out was 'blahblahblahGringoblahblahblah'.  Now, they seem to be a bit more careful about showing that they're 'not from around here'.  

But, just as many, if not more.  I'm still pissed off that the campaign complete neglected to bring up the topic.  I think they're quietly awaiting their Amnesty from Uncle O....
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:28:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm in Tejas, you must be kidding!
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:28:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The economy is down.  The jobs they held, roofers, framers, concrete, brick layers, and on and on, are on hold right now. No jobs, no money, home sweet home.

I thought they wanted to be Americans.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:45:09 PM EDT
[#34]
The invaders aren't going anywhere. As soon as they get citizenship, they'll be able to pig out at the all you can eat big government buffet.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:46:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Unfortunately, no.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:54:03 PM EDT
[#36]
No. But Pilgrim's Pride is virtually bankrupt and Tyson's is on the ropes here. If those close it's, "Don't let the puerta hit you on the way out."

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:54:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Yes, but then again, there is no peaches or grapes growing now.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Gone here! NW Florida.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#39]
started here end of 06... gettn better by the day.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:04:06 PM EDT
[#40]
construction industry, especially residential has dried up, most of them went home to old Mexico.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:06:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Yes.  Even the McDonalds (front counter and kitchen) are now populated again with college kids and moms working while the kids are at school.  That was really noticeable.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:22:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yes.  Thanks to HB1804

SUMMATION OF OKLAHOMA'S HB 1804 LAW

HB1804, the Citizens and Taxpayers Protection Act, dealing with clamping down on illegal immigration was signed into law by Governor Henry on May 8th.

This legislation is a product of several years' consultation with state legislators from both parties. It is an important step for the IRLI strategy on incremental state-by-state reform. IRLI provides technical assistance to legislators based on successful measures from other jurisdictions.

HB 1804 is tough on employers violating the law and prevents illegal aliens from obtaining drivers license and benefits, while still protecting the privileges and immunities of U.S. citizens and respecting constitutional rights for all persons. HB 1804 includes a mix of criminal, fiscal and anti-fraud provisions that collectively restrict the ability of illegal aliens to unlawfully work and reside within the state.

The Statement of Legislative Intent (Section 2) declares the states compelling interest in immigration law compliance, finding that illegal immigration causes economic hardship and lawless and has been improperly encouraged by public agencies within the state.

Section 3 replicates the federal provision that makes it a felony punishable by imprisonment for not less than 1 year or a fine of $1000.00, for any person to transport, harbor, or shelter an alien in reckless disregard for their illegal immigration status. State and local prosecutors now have the tools to stop illegal aliens from "residing" in Oklahoma, or traveling instate in search of unlawful employment.

Section 4 restricts issuance of most official identification documents to U.S. citizens, legal permanent resident aliens or holders of valid unexpired visas. Illegal aliens cannot operate in-state if they lack official documentation. Use of foreign consular cards issued to illegal aliens has been prohibited.

Section 5 requires police to verify the immigration status of persons who have been arrested and detained at a local jail for felony crimes, and report all illegal aliens to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

Section 7 requires all public employers to use the Basic Pilot electronic work authorization verification program. State and local public contractors are prohibited from commencing work on a taxpayer-funded contract before they register with the Basic Pilot Program.

Section 8 requires every public agency to verify the lawful presence of aliens aged 14 years or older who applies for state or local public benefits, using the online SAVE system, as authorized by the 1996 Welfare Reform Act. Standard federal exceptions for emergency health care treatment or other public health services apply. This measure builds on similar provisions developed by IRLI that have been successfully adopted by Virginia, Colorado, and Georgia.

Section 9 provides that employers shall withhold state income tax for independent contractors who failed to provide a Social Security number. Reduces the incentive to hire illegal aliens as cheap day laborers and "contractors," and helps safeguard workers compensation and other labor law protections against abuse.

Section 10 directs the Oklahoma Attorney General to negotiate a "287(g)" cooperative agreement between the State of Oklahoma and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to increase state and local police joint enforcement of federal immigration law with DHS. 287(g) agreements help insure that illegal aliens discovered by Oklahoma police officers are quickly and safely transferred into federal custody. Helps fight "catch and release" abuses that allow criminal aliens back into the neighborhoods where they were arrested.

AMEN.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:33:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Hispanic guy at work said they were headed south of the boarder, that you knew the economy was bad when illegals were jumping the boarder the other direction.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:35:46 PM EDT
[#44]
uuuuuum yeah......no.......
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:37:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Gone here! NW Florida.

Yep.

Local Sheriff did a county wide sweep.

All gone.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#46]
No.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:40:42 PM EDT
[#47]
ICE hit the factory my buddy works at this week. Took 4 guys into custody.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:42:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Seems to be a lot of ICE holds in our local papers arrest log lately
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:43:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Hispanic guy at work said they were headed south of the boarder, that you knew the economy was bad when illegals were jumping the boarder the other direction.

Been a 5-6 years since I been to a border crossing but I remember that there is no hindrance to getting back into Mexico. Hence no need to do the "wetback" thing going back to Mexico.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:44:52 PM EDT
[#50]
The only reason my family noticed a small bit of decline is because we moved from two different towns over the years that had PLENTY of illegals.

Having said that though...there are still illegals where we live, they just aren't as numerous.  It feels like night and day from where we used to live down in the South-West!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top