Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2008 9:23:45 AM EDT
link

HOT TOPICS
FOX News Election Coverage
Celebrity Gossip
FOX Movietone News
SECTION MAP

SEE MORE - Bird Flu - Cancer - Heart Disease - Diabetes - Neurology - Mental Health - Nutrition - Pregnancy - Sexual Health - Longevity - Things You Should Know
Send news tip to FOXNews.com

SUBMIT   FOXNEWS.COM HOME > HEALTH

It's Not a Tumor - Doctors Find Worm In Woman's Brain Instead
Thursday, November 20, 2008

E-Mail Print Share:

MyFoxPhoenix.com

Doctors discover worm in woman's brain instead of the tumor they thought they were removing.
Doctors in Arizona thought a Phoenix-area woman had a possible brain tumor, but it turned out there was something else penetrating her brain – a worm.

Rosemary Alvarez started experiencing numbness in her arm and blurred vision. She went to the emergency room twice and had a cat scan, but everything came up clear, MyFOXPhoenix.com reported.

Click here for a video.

It wasn’t until doctors took a closer look at an MRI that they discovered something very disturbing.

“Once we saw the MRI we realized this is something not good,” neurosurgeon, Dr. Peter Nakaji told the news station. “It's something down in her brain stem which is as deep in the brain as you can be.”

Alvarez was wheeled into surgery where Nakaji and his colleagues were expecting to remove a tumor, but they uncovered a worm instead.

On a video of the surgery, Nakaji can be heard chuckling after he made the discovery.

“I'm sure this is a very strange response for the people in the operating room,” he told MyFOXPhoenix.com. “But because I was so pleased to know that it wasn't going to be something terrible.”

Although doctors don’t know exactly where Alvarez contracted the worm – they said it could come from eating undercooked pork or it can be spread by people who don’t wash their hands after using the bathroom, according to the report.

“It only takes one person who is spreading it constantly to get a lot of people exposed and some of those people are going to go on to develop this problem,” Nakaji said.

Alvarez said she hopes people learn this lesson from her story.

“Wash your hands, wash your hands.”

Click here to read more and see the video of the surgery from my MyFOXPhoenix.com.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:27:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Yikes.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:30:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Although doctors don’t know exactly where Alvarez contracted the worm –

[/quote]

Ten bucks says Mexico.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:35:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Ding Ding Ding we have a winner
Quoted:
Quoted:

[/quote]

Ten bucks says Mexico.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:47:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I just used hand sanitizer.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:54:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Wasn't there a Star Trek episode about this?  

-K
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:57:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[/quote]

Ten bucks says Mexico.

My thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:58:23 AM EDT
[#7]

“I'm sure this is a very strange response for the people in the operating room,” he told MyFOXPhoenix.com. “But because I was so pleased to know that it wasn't going to be something terrible.”

Not a brain surgeon, but I would consider a parasitic worm nibbling on my brainstem to probably fall under the "inconvenient" category.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:11:30 AM EDT
[#8]
There was a House MD episode about this same exact thing...

Lady ate poorly cooked pork, got a tape worm. Tape worm larva passed through the stomach lining into the blood stream and managed to travel to her brain before finally getting stuck to something and started growing. The worm really didn't fuck her up that bad. It was when it started dying that it was causing the brain to swell and doing some very bad stuff to her–– similar to that article.

TV show–– i know ya, but it seems it has some credibility in this case.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:19:19 AM EDT
[#9]
My wife has worked in ophthalmology for close to fifteen years and saw this for the first time not too long ago....

Loa Loa Worm in the eye. Guy was back from a trip to Africa and started having itchy eyes that wouldn't go away. He said he started to feel it moving and then he could actually see it at the surface. Pretty rare here in the states and totally bizarre to see in person.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:22:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm never going outside the country.

Every other country seems to give you AIDS, the shits, or parasitic worms in your fucking brain.

God bless America.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:34:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Ohhhhh, for Fuck's Sake!!!

WTF? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have the fucking heebie jeebies now. Fuck. I'm going to grill everything i cook to charcoal for the next week.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:46:23 AM EDT
[#12]
This is one of those parasites that control your brain.

Zombies are coming!!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:00:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My wife has worked in ophthalmology for close to fifteen years and saw this for the first time not too long ago....

http://www.stanford.edu/group/parasites/ParaSites2006/Loiasis/Images/loa_loa_eye.gif

Loa Loa Worm in the eye. Guy was back from a trip to Africa and started having itchy eyes that wouldn't go away. He said he started to feel it moving and then he could actually see it at the surface. Pretty rare here in the states and totally bizarre to see in person.

I have read about that but never seen a picture of it.

Thankfully there is a drug to treat filariasis diseases, but I don't remember the name of it.

I am going to hazard a guess you didn't get that picture off of a travel brochure...
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:16:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Fuck that noise.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:31:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Remember this the next time you step up to your local illegal alien burrito stand and order the carnitas.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:35:45 AM EDT
[#16]
If they are talking about pork, I would guess trichinosis worm.
Trichinosis
I thought that was mainly in the muscle and for the most part gone from the US.
But as others have said, a trip to Mexico and be the gift that just keeps on giving and giving.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:41:54 AM EDT
[#17]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top