BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/20/2008 12:57:10 AM EDT
I have always wanted one......
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:58:38 AM EDT
[#1]
My thoughts? Awesome. I want a reliable one, not some chinese surplus one for $2000 that will kill me. I wish someone would make plans or sell a kit for a serious use version, i'd build one.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:00:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My thoughts? Awesome. I want a reliable one, not some chinese surplus one for $2000 that will kill me. I wish someone would make plans or sell a kit for a serious use version, i'd build one.

+1

With them not being restricted under the NFA, I don't see why someone hasn't already seized the opportunity to make a couple bucks.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:05:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My thoughts? Awesome. I want a reliable one, not some chinese surplus one for $2000 that will kill me.

You don't have to pay $2000 for one that'll kill you

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1107178
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:09:18 AM EDT
[#4]
See, this is the problem. People have made do-it-yourself guides for PVC flamethrowers and super soaker flamethrowers, but nobody can make a guide for building one with some steel pipe and a welder that runs on diesel fuel? These things are legal for christ's sake!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:10:23 AM EDT
[#5]
When me and my friends were about 13, it took us about 30min to realize what you could do with a Super Soaker if you filled it with gas as opposed to water.

Though, the factory o-ring seal is weak, and gas would get by. We had to raid dads shop and find some replacements.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:13:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When me and my friends were about 13, it took us about 30min to realize what you could do with a Super Soaker if you filled it with gas as opposed to water.

Though, the factory o-ring seal is weak, and gas would get by. We had to raid dads shop and find some replacements.

Igniter used?

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:13:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
See, this is the problem. People have made do-it-yourself guides for PVC flamethrowers and super soaker flamethrowers, but nobody can make a guide for building one with some steel pipe and a welder that runs on diesel fuel? These things are legal for christ's sake!!

Legal?  Sure.

That doesn't mean its exactly safe.  But I'll watch from a distance with the camera.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:17:02 AM EDT
[#8]
looks like fun but I don't want to be a Darwin award candidate
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:22:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Maybe they didn't live long enough to write the how-to
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:24:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Who builds the military flamethrowers ??  Would it be possible to get one through the same company if there are no restrictions etc etc ??
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:25:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Who builds the military flamethrowers ??  Would it be possible to get one through the same company if there are no restrictions etc etc ??

I doubt the company that made the last ones has made any in many years.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:26:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Do you mean who built the military's flamethrowers.  We don't have them anymore, it would be cool to use but a bitch to hump.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:27:28 AM EDT
[#13]
I should build one since I have access to a virtually unlimited supply of pure ethanol
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:28:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't think the military uses them anymore.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:36:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Might be fun for burning brush in the backyard...

No way in hell I'd want to wear one to war...
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:37:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think the military uses them anymore.

Yep... Out of service....

There was a 4-pack incinedrary rocket system for a while, but in general there are better ways to do the same thing (thermobaric SMAW rounds, etc)...
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:41:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

There is a do-it-yourself guide I just cant remember the the link. The forum that has this info also sells machine guns and tanks. I just cant remember the name of the site.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:49:56 AM EDT
[#18]
put me down for 1 :)
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:56:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Igniter used?

Lit match taped on the end of the spout

All BS aside, we just held a Bic lighter up to the tip.

Im not saying it was smart, im just tellin you how it was that day.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:59:44 AM EDT
[#20]
On a somewhat related note,

Anyone  remember a really nerdy looking kid had some pretty good plans for a PVC one on the net?he couldnt have been more than 14 or so.
He did a write up on how to put it together. It was funny as hell IIRC.

Nevermind, here it is

Flamethower plans

Bwahahaha! I love this part!

"Like any red-blooded, masculine man of the male gender, I love PVC weaponry. You should too. If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will. Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine. For those of you who laugh in the face of hypersonic shards of plastic puncturing your spleen, here’s an intimate look at how I’ve kept myself busy for the past week: building a PVC flamethrower."
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:03:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Back when I was a smaller and less well ordered individual, I noticed that the old man had a two gallon sprayer in the shed.

Came with a nice steel 2 gallon tank with a shoulder harness, a length of armaflex hose and a 2 foot long brass lance… Hmmmm, looks a bit like that flamethrower in the John Wayne movie.

Filled with kerosene… not so impressive

Drilled out hole in nozzle, filled with kerosone and gasoline, pump right up to 100psi… w00t!
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:14:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

With them not being restricted under the NFA, I don't see why someone hasn't already seized the opportunity to make a couple bucks.

Lawyers
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:26:43 AM EDT
[#23]
What happens when you mix a bored geek, $100 worth of PVC from HomeDepot, and a can of denatured alcohol? A homemade flamethrower of course!

http://www.capsgetpeeled.com/blog/archives/2004_06.html

Now with m0ar YouTube:

Awesome Homemade Flamethrower

flamethrowers

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:11:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
On a somewhat related note,

Anyone  remember a really nerdy looking kid had some pretty good plans for a PVC one on the net?he couldnt have been more than 14 or so.
He did a write up on how to put it together. It was funny as hell IIRC.

Nevermind, here it is

Flamethower plans

Bwahahaha! I love this part!

"Like any red-blooded, masculine man of the male gender, I love PVC weaponry. You should too. If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will. Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine. For those of you who laugh in the face of hypersonic shards of plastic puncturing your spleen, here’s an intimate look at how I’ve kept myself busy for the past week: building a PVC flamethrower."

Poor design - no spark arrestor, check valves, and PVC - uh, I'll pass.

You can make a metal one for probably $300 tops.  I would, but I'm too lazy and have no place to use it.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:46:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Back when I was a smaller and less well ordered individual, I noticed that the old man had a two gallon sprayer in the shed.

Came with a nice steel 2 gallon tank with a shoulder harness, a length of armaflex hose and a 2 foot long brass lance… Hmmmm, looks a bit like that flamethrower in the John Wayne movie.

Drilled out hole in nozzle, filled with kerosone and gasoline, pump right up to 100psi… w00t!

When i was a kid my dad had a pressurized kerosene brush burner.  Once it got hot it sounded like a jet engine and had a blue flame shooting out a foot or two.  But before it got hot you could open up the valve and shoot a really impressive jet spray of fire out about 40 or more feet.

It was fun.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:58:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Not as handy in the car as a pistol but they are fun looking I see them every year at the creek for rent.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:12:53 AM EDT
[#27]
They're fun to use on Call of Duty.  Also fun to snipe the Germans wearing them and blowing them and their buddies up
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:23:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My thoughts? Awesome. I want a reliable one, not some chinese surplus one for $2000 that will kill me.

You don't have to pay $2000 for one that'll kill you

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1107178

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:25:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Dont forget the part about you pop takin a siwtch to you for trashing his sprayer nozzle.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:26:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Thought is?

Or does the thought have ownership of something?

I think you mean "thoughts".

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:30:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Any WW2 originals around to be had?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:33:22 AM EDT
[#32]
buy one here:

flame thrower

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:33:24 AM EDT
[#33]
I just told my wife - I said that we wouldn't have to shovel snow in the driveway anymore.  she said to go for it...
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:34:35 AM EDT
[#34]
annnhhh.....what the hell, put me down for 2
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:54:38 AM EDT
[#35]
The state of California restricts them.  But I don't know of any other state that does.

I know this because I listed a big lot of Vietnam-era flamethrower components (including
a dead mint, never-been-used wand assembly) for a friend on ebay, and ebay cancelled
the auction and refunded the fees as flamethrowers aren't allowed in CA.  

We made the sale anyway.  Thanks, ebay!  You saved us a lot on the fees!

CJ
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:00:15 AM EDT
[#36]

Ideal crowd control weapon  

Semper Fi
Ed
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:10:33 AM EDT
[#37]
I tried to buld one but my welding skills weren`t up to the challenge
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:10:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:14:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Group buy.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:25:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:12:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:18:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Igniter used?

Lit match taped on the end of the spout

All BS aside, we just held a Bic lighter up to the tip.

Im not saying it was smart, im just tellin you how it was that day.

The truly ingenous Super-Soaker Flamethrower Maker takes a shoe-string, 100mph tape, and an 'Aim-N-Flame', and improvises an automatic ignitor...
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:20:09 AM EDT
[#43]
This seems to be quite the hot topic today.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:26:15 AM EDT
[#44]
This looks WAY COOLER, but this will get you a trip to club fed.
This guy does not live in the USA
how to make the ammo
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#45]
sounds like a great way to earn yourself a darwin award.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:58:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Flamethrower V RC airplane at night.

Launching it was scary because I was the one doing it, and the gent with the flamethrower immediately tried to kill the plane. He did not kill the plane before he ran out of fuel..We even tried to make it easier by coating the plane with fuel..
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:02:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Might be fun for burning brush in the backyard...

No way in hell I'd want to wear one to war...

You speak for yourself.
If we are ever invaded by the monsters from "Pitch Black", you'll change your tune.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#48]
So the consensus seems to be that owning a flame thrower is legal.  Is it legal to make napalm to use in said flame thrower?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:07:59 AM EDT
[#49]

My question is, where does the bayonet go?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#50]
As far as practical use goes, flamethrowers are a mixed blessing.

Pros:

While getting shot is an abstract fear for most people (they know they don't want it to happen, but they've never BEEN shot), being set on fire is a MAJOR fear that 99.9% of people have. Huge psychological impact in combat.

You can cook infantry alive AND douse vehicles in burning napalm. Molotov cocktails don't deliver enough payload to affect most modern tanks, but hit a tank in the right spot with an extended burst from a flamethrower and you just choked the engine and blinded the crew. And if you can get a burst INSIDE the vehicle, even with a fire supression system it's going to be hard to put out, you're going to severely injure at least some of the crew, and you may cook off some ammo inside.

Kiss that fucking bunker goodbye. If they don't burn, they suffocate.

You can arc the flame to go over obstacles or into foxholes/trenches that line-of-sight weapons can't hit.

Cons:

Heavy as shit to carry around. Then again, our troops carry 70 pounds or more of equipment, and if you're dragging a flamethrower around then you're not toting a rifle and ammo at least.

You can't carry much fuel.

Limited range and utterly useless against aircraft.

EVERYBODY on the battlefield will know you've got a flamethrower, especially at night. This could be good or bad, depending on how they react to it.

While flamethrowers don't explode when shot like in the movies, because of that aforementioned fear of burning alive and flamethrowers being really obvious targets, whoever's carrying that thing is a bullet magnet. If the enemy doesn't flee or surrender out of fear of being burned alive, EVERYBODY is going to be gunning for your ass so you can't come after them with that thing.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top