Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2008 7:39:55 PM EDT
I did a side job over the weekend, and went to finish up today.  Basic strip old linoleum and lay tile in a bathroom.  I laid the tile on Sunday afternoon, grouted it Monday afternoon.  The homeowner was going to paint tuesday and install the base board.  Then I was coming back today to put the toilet back down.  I got over there about 4pm.  He was just starting to nail the base on behind the toilet.  He's driving in a nail, turns to me and says "Hm.  This one seems like its bouncing back everytime I hit it." I start to tell him to hold off a second when he gives it another good whack.  All of a sudden...  WATER!!  He looks like WTF?  I run outside and shut the main off.  Cut out some drywall, and WTF?  Who does this?

The plumber ripped part of the sill plate in half and ran the water supply line to the toilet along the foundation.  WTF?  Why the fuck would you do that, you stupid lazy fuck?  The studs were full size, since the copper was only 1/2".  They just floated over the ripped out portion of sill plate.  Sure hope that's not a retaining wall...

Here's my MS paint representation.  Didn't have my camera with me..  

Side view.  The black parts are the studs/sill plate, blue is the water line, gray is the foundation.

Top view.  

So, instead of 10 minutes setting a toilet, I spent 4 hours mopping up water, rerouting the line through the studs (properly, with shields, sweating copper, and patching in new drywall.  Now I gotta go back tomorrow and texture it.  Homeowner will paint, then I still have to go back and put the toilet in.

WTF?  How did that pass final inspection??????

rr

ETA:  When I say "ripped" about the sill plate, I don't mean with a saw.  I mean ripped out.  Like someone took a chisel and pounded it through the plate till they could break off enough to fit the pipe.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:42:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I did a side job over the weekend, and went to finish up today.  Basic strip old linoleum and lay tile in a bathroom.  I laid the tile on Sunday afternoon, grouted it Monday afternoon.  The homeowner was going to paint tuesday and install the base board.  Then I was coming back today to put the toilet back down.  I got over there about 4pm.  He was just starting to nail the base on behind the toilet.  He's driving in a nail, turns to me and says "Hm.  This one seems like its bouncing back everytime I hit it." I start to tell him to hold off a second when he gives it another good whack.  All of a sudden...  WATER!!  He looks like WTF?  I run outside and shut the main off.  Cut out some drywall, and WTF?  Who does this?

The plumber ripped part of the sill plate in half and ran the water supply line to the toilet along the foundation.  WTF?  Why the fuck would you do that, you stupid lazy fuck?  The studs were full size, since the copper was only 1/2".  They just floated over the ripped out portion of sill plate.  Sure hope that's not a retaining wall...

Here's my MS paint representation.  Didn't have my camera with me..  

Side view.  The black parts are the studs/sill plate, blue is the water line, gray is the foundation.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/webphotoalbum/side.jpg

Top view.  

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/webphotoalbum/top.jpg

So, instead of 10 minutes setting a toilet, I spent 4 hours mopping up water, rerouting the line through the studs (properly, with shields, sweating copper, and patching in new drywall.  Now I gotta go back tomorrow and texture it.  Homeowner will paint, then I still have to go back and put the toilet in.

WTF?  How did that pass final inspection??????

rr

"look for the union label..."
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Hope it was T&M

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Dude.  This is Arizona.

10-1 odds the plumber not only wasn't union, but wasn't even an American Citizen.

rr
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:57:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude.  This is Arizona.

10-1 odds the plumber not only wasn't union, but wasn't even an American Citizen.

rr

Ahh, Mexican plumbing.....

In most Mexican bathrooms, there is a trash can and a sign that says, "Please do not throw papers into the toilet. Toilet paper clogs up Mexican plumbing....
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:28:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude.  This is Arizona.

rr

Something about cheap labor being false economy.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:35:03 PM EDT
[#7]
You've got mad skills with MSPaint.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top