Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2008 7:05:10 PM EDT
So it's getting cold down here in South GA. It's been in the low 30's for the last two night and we've had the heat running. I've noticed that after my heating system turns off I hear a ticking in the return vent. The vent is basically a box and the heating system sits on top of it in the garage. The vent is in the corner of where the foyer hallway meets the living room.   Anyway, why is it doing this? It is just because the coils are cooling off since the system has shut off?  It's my first house and to be honest, a lot of this stuff is new to me.

Oh, yes, 32 degrees F is cold to me. I don't care how cold it gets up there.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, as a northern boy yes I do consider that cold!  I never knew it got that cold in Georgia.  It's 33 right now here in northern Ohio.

The sound is probably normal, but if it is an older system you might want to have it evaluated by an HVAC man.

If he tells you it needs major repairs, get at least one other opinion before committing to anything expensive.  See if the BBB has any info on any company you call out.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#2]
It is just cooling down..   Mine does it too (gas/hot air).   Electric baseboard does it alot too..     Has to do with metal expanding and contracting during extreme temperaturs changes.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#3]
What would be considered old for a heating unit. I think it's a heat pump/electric heat. Yeah, that kinda goes hand in hand.  House is 6-7 yrs old. No logging of work or maintenance on Heat/AC/or water softner.

Oh yeah, I'm from VA originally and it gets a tad chilly there from time to time. I thought it was gonna be a cake walk down here for winter. Ha, I was wrong. Then again, it was like 80 last week. Go figure
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#4]
More than 20 years is starting to get old for a furnace.

6 or 7 years old?

Should be GTG for another 10 or 15 years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top