Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2008 5:55:15 PM EDT
The wife and I voluntarily got rid of TV (all hookups but not the box) about 2 years ago. It wasn't so financial but an experiment on how life would be without. (However, I calculate I probably have saved $1500 over the past 24 months on the digital service I once had - that's an AR with optics, bitch.)

I only receive CSPAN, sortof, by antenna. I do watch South Park on Southparkstudios.com.

I'm on a business trip this week and have a tube on at the moment. First time in a very long time.

I'm damn glad I stop spending money on this "service". It's all crap.

Dancing with the Stars? A cartoon segment that plays as a reality tv show? House?

Get rid of this shit. You get over the noise real fast. Just sharing the introspect after all this time.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:00:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Give up the comp and internet to see how life is without.

You'll find yourself enjoying the outdoors much more.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Give up the comp and internet to see how life is without.

You'll find yourself enjoying the outdoors much more.

Yeah, I've noticed that the one consequence of getting rid of TV is extra time online. I'm hoping that with an eventual first home purchase that I'll have other tasks to keep me busy.

Soon I'll be cursing the lack of free, lazy time.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:06:36 PM EDT
[#3]
hate to say it but i need my espn.

i've been waking up to sportscenter since i was 12.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:07:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a hard time sitting down and watching ANYTHING after spending a few months overseas with no TV.

Then I began spending "quality time" with the wife watching "her" shows.

Then we got TIVO.

Now I have NO free time whatsoever.....
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:10:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I understand where you're coming from but....

I cannot live without my High Def, Digital Master Sound and Blu Ray movies.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:10:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey don't bag on House he is a bad ass M.D.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:12:48 PM EDT
[#7]
The wife and I got rid of the cable 2 mos ago. Can't say that I miss it all that much. We kept cable service for the internet so the box still brings in our local channels and DSC.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Who's this Keith Olbermann guy? He seems like a nice fellow.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The wife and I voluntarily got rid of TV (all hookups but not the box) about 2 years ago. It wasn't so financial but an experiment on how life would be without. (However, I calculate I probably have saved $1500 over the past 24 months on the digital service I once had - that's an AR with optics, bitch.)

I only receive CSPAN, sortof, by antenna. I do watch South Park on Southparkstudios.com.

I'm on a business trip this week and have a tube on at the moment. First time in a very long time.

I'm damn glad I stop spending money on this "service". It's all crap.

Dancing with the Stars? A cartoon segment that plays as a reality tv show? House?

Get rid of this shit. You get over the noise real fast. Just sharing the introspect after all this time.

My TV's have been dark for several years now - turn em on only when something important is happening, and that is much rarer than most think. In the past three months have had one (of several) TV's on a total of twice.

It really is all crap, and only when you step away from it for awhile do you realize just how idiotic TV is. I had a doc appt today, and in the waiting room they had HGTV blasting. Complete crap. Home re-do with people who don't know how to use power tools. All laughing. "Look at how inept we are" as the HGTV 'expert' grabs the Sawzall. Who watches this shit?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#10]
One benefit is that I did finally get to see Courtney Friel on Fox News. Damn. Just damn.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Television is for illiterates.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Back in '05, I had my cable turned off.

About 5 months into it, I had some medical problems that kept me stuck at home for 2 months...so I had it turned back on.

I am seriously considering having it turned off again. The $55.00 a month could be used elsewhere.

ETA, the funny thing is, I really don't watch anything...just "Breaking Bad" (which can be watched on the AMC website) and "Survivorman" (he's quitting, judging from the title of another thread here)
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:59:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I canceled my Dish Network service in September and I am honestly not missing it.  I have netflix so I can watch movies and still have internet service (obviously).  I have also gotten more reloading done too!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:14:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been without cable/satellite since December 2001.  Nothing until a year or so ago when I dug out an old set of "rabbit ears".  Since then we get ABC and PBS, and sometimes NBC if the weather is just right.  There is very little of it I miss.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:25:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Had cable from 1987 to 1989. No TV from 1990 to 1995.  1995 to present rabbit ears.  Damn Susie Gara (sp) is hot!  (PBS Nightly Businness Report)
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:30:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Do not watch it.It is just liberal agenda being flushed into your head.If I had to watch Memphis news I think my head would explode.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:38:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I haven't had cable and haven't really watched TV since I bought my house a little over a year ago...

I can honestly say I don't miss it...
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:07:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hey don't bag on House he is a bad ass M.D.

He'll spend the first 50 minutes killin' ya, then right at the end, BOOM!  He'll save ya.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top