Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2008 3:16:33 PM EDT
I have been searching around, and cant find any info.  My possible contract extension depends on where we are supposed to deploy, I will not extend if we are not going to the Persian Gulf, It may be time for me to bring up the Commandant's "Every Marine to the Fight" thing.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:27:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Because, of course, the only place where you can make a difference in in CENTCOM.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Deployment locations are considered OPSEC and are not disclosed.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If you know anybody who serves on that ship, ask his wife.
Somehow the wives club knew everything before we did.  The letters that took 2 weeks to get to us were more up to date than what we knew.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:41:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Because, of course, the only place where you can make a difference in in CENTCOM.

Well, I joined to go to combat, and have gotten screwed around with enough in my 3+ years so far, I have gone on a west pac deployment, and it was fun, but not what I wanted to do.  I never would have thought it would have been so hard to go to war while in the USMC.  According to a recent Commandant's message, less than 66,000 have not been over, and many fellow Marines liken the ones who have not been over to deserters and draft dodgers.  I have volunteered 4 times so far, and each time something has fallen through.  BS in my opinion.  

/rant
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I joined to go to combat, and have gotten screwed around with enough in my 3+ years so far, I have gone on a west pac deployment, and it was fun, but not what I wanted to do.  I never would have thought it would have been so hard to go to war while in the USMC.  According to a recent Commandant's message, less than 66,000 have not been over, and many fellow Marines liken the ones who have not been over to deserters and draft dodgers.  I have volunteered 4 times so far, and each time something has fallen through.  BS in my opinion.  

/rant

Shrug,  I was in the Navy for 6 years, watching my brother (Army) and cousin (Marine) go to the sandbox 4-5 times.   Volunteered three times to go IA to the sandbox and my chain of command deemed me an "operational necessity" so I couldn't go.   It bugged the shit out of me, and even though I'm out now, it still does, but at some point I realized that you can only fight the war Uncle Sam puts in front of you.

I can see not wanting to feel like you're shirking and making someone else carry your load, but if you keep volunteering and getting bounced, then it's not your fault.   By what I've read, you don't seem like some of the dirtbags I knew when I in; people who'd get pregnant to avoid deployments, do their best to pick orders to ships that would just be returning from a deployment or ones still in drydock awaiting commissioning just so they could avoid going anywhere...   those types are the retards your retards should be hating, not the guys who want to go but somehow always manage to get bounced.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Go to your unit S-3 (Operatioins Section) and ask them.

Or,

Go to the ship's website.

Get a point of contact phone number.

Call the point of contact and get their .mil email.

Send them an email from your .mil address asking them.

Chances are they're going to the Persian Gulf/Arabian Sea area.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:01:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Except to the foreign countries where the ship will pull into port.

The Department of State has to do a request months in advance to those countries.

And the ship has to contract with companies in those ports for trash, water, fuel, food, liberty buses, tours, mail delivery, etc., etc. in advance.

Most of the foreign countries know where our ships are going to port before the crew does.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:10:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I was told by our S-1 that it is more than likely going to be a Med cruise, with a very slim chance of heading down to the Gulf.  I dont want to base my decision on a slim chance.  All of our Ops S-3 guys are on the boat for CQs right now, we just have a training guy sticking behind for now.  I have sent an E-mail to our G-2 chief asking if he knew, but he is kind of a flighty individual, so we will see
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:15:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted: According to a recent Commandant's message, less than 66,000 have not been over, and many fellow Marines liken the ones who have not been over to deserters and draft dodgers.  I have volunteered 4 times so far, and each time something has fallen through.  BS in my opinion.  

/rant

Well, if he's pointing out that only 66,000 have gone, you could always email the Commandant.

(do not email the Commandant)

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

/rant

I envy you. I would sell my soul twice to be fit enough to be a Marine. I Cant believe they wont let you fight!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:21:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

/rant

I envy you. I would sell my soul twice to be fit enough to be a Marine. I Cant believe they wont let you fight!

It is what it is, lately I have had a bad taste in my mouth from it, but wouldnt trade my experiences for anything

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:34:17 PM EDT
[#12]
The Truman just got back in may or something like that. Why are you fishing like this???

ETA-"IYAOYAS".... Now i get it..../
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top