Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2008 2:33:54 PM EDT
So a few threads had me thinking.  A lot of people postulate "they're coming for our guns".  Of that, I don't dissagree.

However, there was some language in the decision that was to the effect that the 2A "only protected" arms in common military use.  Hence they said that Miller's "sawed off shotgun" was not in common military use.

So even though I don't doubt they will make laws and create bans I think that a prior Miller decision along with Heller would help to defeat any bans specially aimed at "assault rifles"

Hopefully if there is another ban NRA will "have the balls" to challange it all the way up to SCOTUS.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:36:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Heller   is the ONLY thing that is protecting our 2nd Amendment right at this time.

After that, it's "you-know-what" time.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:37:27 PM EDT
[#2]
1- it was 1939.

2- Miller did not say that a 'sawed off shotgun' was not in common military use.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:38:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So a few threads had me thinking.  A lot of people postulate "they're coming for our guns".  Of that, I don't dissagree.

However, there was some language in the decision that was to the effect that the 2A "only protected" arms in common military use.  Hence they said that Miller's "sawed off shotgun" was not in common military use.

So even though I don't doubt they will make laws and create bans I think that a prior Miller decision along with Heller would help to defeat any bans specially aimed at "assault rifles"

Hopefully if there is another ban NRA will "have the balls" to challange it all the way up to SCOTUS.

Heller diverges from Miller, in protecting other arms in common usage, not just weapons suitable for militia duty. But Miller and other older rulings indicate that military type weapons are protected.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:39:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Miller never answered...so the thieves in black robes stole a little piece of liberty.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:39:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Heller   is the ONLY thing that is protecting our 2nd Amendment right at this time.

After that, it's "you-know-what" time.

Miller implied an individual right. But of course, the left doesn't care about implications, only an outright "no" causes them pause.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top