Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2008 1:52:11 PM EDT
I've always said 'Global Warming' is a load of bollox…

The world has never seen such freezing heat
By Christopher Booker
Last Updated: 12:01am GMT 16/11/2008

Have your say      Read comments

A surreal scientific blunder last week raised a huge question mark about the temperature records that underpin the worldwide alarm over global warming. On Monday, Nasa's Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS), which is run by Al Gore's chief scientific ally, Dr James Hansen, and is one of four bodies responsible for monitoring global temperatures, announced that last month was the hottest October on record.

A sudden cold snap brought snow to London in October

This was startling. Across the world there were reports of unseasonal snow and plummeting temperatures last month, from the American Great Plains to China, and from the Alps to New Zealand. China's official news agency reported that Tibet had suffered its "worst snowstorm ever". In the US, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration registered 63 local snowfall records and 115 lowest-ever temperatures for the month, and ranked it as only the 70th-warmest October in 114 years.

So what explained the anomaly? GISS's computerised temperature maps seemed to show readings across a large part of Russia had been up to 10 degrees higher than normal. But when expert readers of the two leading warming-sceptic blogs, Watts Up With That and Climate Audit, began detailed analysis of the GISS data they made an astonishing discovery. The reason for the freak figures was that scores of temperature records from Russia and elsewhere were not based on October readings at all. Figures from the previous month had simply been carried over and repeated two months running.

EU facing revolt over climate change target enforcement
EU plans new energy deals
Himalayan glaciers 'could disappear completely by 2035'

The error was so glaring that when it was reported on the two blogs - run by the US meteorologist Anthony Watts and Steve McIntyre, the Canadian computer analyst who won fame for his expert debunking of the notorious "hockey stick" graph - GISS began hastily revising its figures. This only made the confusion worse because, to compensate for the lowered temperatures in Russia, GISS claimed to have discovered a new "hotspot" in the Arctic - in a month when satellite images were showing Arctic sea-ice recovering so fast from its summer melt that three weeks ago it was 30 per cent more extensive than at the same time last year.

A GISS spokesman lamely explained that the reason for the error in the Russian figures was that they were obtained from another body, and that GISS did not have resources to exercise proper quality control over the data it was supplied with. This is an astonishing admission: the figures published by Dr Hansen's institute are not only one of the four data sets that the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) relies on to promote its case for global warming, but they are the most widely quoted, since they consistently show higher temperatures than the others.

If there is one scientist more responsible than any other for the alarm over global warming it is Dr Hansen, who set the whole scare in train back in 1988 with his testimony to a US Senate committee chaired by Al Gore. Again and again, Dr Hansen has been to the fore in making extreme claims over the dangers of climate change. (He was recently in the news here for supporting the Greenpeace activists acquitted of criminally damaging a coal-fired power station in Kent, on the grounds that the harm done to the planet by a new power station would far outweigh any damage they had done themselves.)

Yet last week's latest episode is far from the first time Dr Hansen's methodology has been called in question. In 2007 he was forced by Mr Watts and Mr McIntyre to revise his published figures for US surface temperatures, to show that the hottest decade of the 20th century was not the 1990s, as he had claimed, but the 1930s.

Another of his close allies is Dr Rajendra Pachauri, chairman of the IPCC, who recently startled a university audience in Australia by claiming that global temperatures have recently been rising "very much faster" than ever, in front of a graph showing them rising sharply in the past decade. In fact, as many of his audience were aware, they have not been rising in recent years and since 2007 have dropped.

Dr Pachauri, a former railway engineer with no qualifications in climate science, may believe what Dr Hansen tells him. But whether, on the basis of such evidence, it is wise for the world's governments to embark on some of the most costly economic measures ever proposed, to remedy a problem which may actually not exist, is a question which should give us all pause for thought.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2008/11/16/do1610.xml

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:58:45 PM EDT
[#1]
The concept of human caused global warming is the biggest moneymaking scam ever perpetuated.

We are actually going onto another ice age cycle according to some leading scientists.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The concept of human caused global warming is the biggest moneymaking scam ever perpetuated.

We are actually going onto another ice age cycle according to some leading scientists.

I tend to believe that.

Climate change is going to happen eventually.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Put away your rain coat and umbrellas. Time for some snow tires, heavy coats, boots, watch cap, and gloves.

Still warm and sunny here.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:09:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The Federal Reserve would beg to differ
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:10:00 PM EDT
[#5]
How in the fuck is that odd? Seventy out of one hundred forteen? Idiots.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:12:37 PM EDT
[#6]
unusually hot= global warming!
unusually cold= global warming!
unusually normal= global warming!

Oh Al Gore....you asshole.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:14:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I love that picture of him shitting the turd out his piehole.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:22:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The BANKS want to engage in Carbon-Trading.  That should tell you ALL you need to know.
Making money off something that cost ZERO to produce (carbon-credits) and legislate and enforce the trading of it.  Pure fucking profits and easy money.

Banks & Carbon Trading
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tend to believe that.

neither i nor the glaciers an hour away from me agree with you.

not saying i buy 100% into al gore's schtick, but it's been a lot warmer, year round, over the past 10-15 years than when i was a kid.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#10]
When it is demonstrated that human activity has a minimal effect on Earth's climate, does Algore have to give his Nobel prize and money back? Will all the sheep that paid into "carbon credits" be reimbursed?

Never!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:26:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yep.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:26:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tend to believe that.

I just meant there will be variations in the climate and these people are wrong so many times but when they manage to guess correctly they are quick to proclaim victory and use that to justify their cause. When really their predictions are correct due to mistakes in info (as here) or just dumb luck.

Even a blind pig finds an acorn once in awhile
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:27:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:31:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I just meant there will be variations in the climate and these people are wrong so many times but when they manage to guess correctly they are quick to proclaim victory and use that to justify their cause. When really their predictions are correct due to mistakes in info (as here) or just dumb luck.

Even a blind pig finds an acorn once in awhile

ah gotcha.  well i can certainly agree with that.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:31:50 PM EDT
[#15]
That's a great article. I posted the link in a couple of threads, but didn't start my own thread, because I figured it would be a dupe, but I guess not! So, thanks for posting it.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:33:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Keep in mind, they did say that, starting a year or two ago, we would be entering a decade-long "cooling".

I tend to believe in global-warming as a trend, whether it's man-made or not.

However, as another poster pointed out, we're supposed to be entering an Ice-Age shortly, so whatever staves that off for as long as possible is fine by me..

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:37:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:37:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Pirates

All the recent Pirate activity has effectively started a cooling trend.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I said that as soon as Al Gore started this BS. This guy can’t get anything right! If he was betting on a one horse race that the horse would win I’d bet every dime that the horse would break a leg and not finish the race. You look up stupid and there is Al “I invented the Internet” Gore.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:54:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I sincerely believe that the Papacy was/is greater. Even if you don't adjust for inflation.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#21]
This is an all too familiar story to those who have seen science and scientists in action close up!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:03:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sincerely believe that the Papacy was/ religion is greater. Even if you don't adjust for inflation.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This is an all too familiar story to those who have seen science and scientists in action close up!

As opposed to what?  What is the alternative to "science and scientists"?  Unsupported anecdotal evidence or ancient mythology?

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:12:13 PM EDT
[#24]
The Earth is cyclic, with regards to climate, ect....  

But, at the same time we would have to be idiots to think that we aren't affecting the environment and our health with pollution.  That said, the goal is to reduce polution without crippling our industries and economy.  Industries should not be making millions then leaving a mess that taxpayers have to pay to clean up at a later date.  The problem is finding the balance.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:13:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As opposed to what?  What is the alternative to "science and scientists"?  Unsupported anecdotal evidence or ancient mythology?

Yep, the Earth is flat, gravity doesn't exist, ect.... ha, ha.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:13:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Just wait till Obbiama pushes a new "climate contol" tax or some bogus enviromenta
"saving" crap.

I see something like coming.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:21:51 PM EDT
[#27]
I can only say it was HOT in Texas growing up, and it is still HOT.  To be honest, this was a mild year, so was last (year before that was very hot).  Average is about 2 weeks above 100.  Can't say I recall many +100 days in the last 2 years, but did have about 3 weeks over 100, with one +110 3 summers ago).  

Last year Austin was shut down for 3 days for ice - that is probably close to a record - but I do remember it snowing twice when I was in grade school, and one good freeze for a couple days as well (below freezing for 3 days ).
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:23:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The Earth is cyclic, with regards to climate, ect....  

But, at the same time we would have to be idiots to think that we aren't affecting the environment and our health with pollution.  That said, the goal is to reduce polution without crippling our industries and economy.  Industries should not be making millions then leaving a mess that taxpayers have to pay to clean up at a later date.  The problem is finding the balance.

+1

Unfortunately the environazis don't use logic.  Wait until the government controls how High or Low you can set your thermostat.   Maybe they will have pre-ban thermostats.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:35:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

not saying i buy 100% into al gore's schtick, but it's been a lot warmer, year round, over the past 10-15 years than when i was a kid.  

Ugh
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:36:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Still a little snow on thr ground here from Monday's "global warming" squall.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:37:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Check the NOAA site.... the october temperature record is STILL a Headline
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#32]
search  the little ice age
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:45:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ugh

Yeah its just as bad as the "zomg its snowing, the globe is not warming" posts.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:07:08 PM EDT
[#34]
but,,

but,,but but..

WTF is it going to take for those in the seats of Power that can do something about this line of BS to realize they were duped by bad science and a huge blow hard named
AL GORE?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:31:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:37:03 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Pirates

All the recent Pirate activity has effectively started a cooling trend.

Absolutely. See the 2005 data for hard scientific proof

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top