Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2008 12:26:31 PM EDT
I have a new Mustang.  Today I noticed a very small rust spot on one of the exhaust tips.  Looks like a rock dented it and nicked the finish, and something got in there and rusted a little.  It's not noticable so I'd like to avoid paying the dealer big bucks to fix it, and was wondering if this is something I could fix myself?  Is there a good rust remover out there and then a sealant I can DIY with?  Should I just give up and let the dealer fix it?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:29:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Depending on how bad the rust is, you might be able to get it off with some 000 steel wool. My detailer uses it to remove rust from chrome on motorcycles, it works.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#2]
If a rock nicked the finish, it was cheap to start with.

Don't take it to the dealer, they'll overcharge and put another cheap one on.
Either let it be or get a polished stainless steel tip to replace it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:39:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Just clean it up and apply clear nail polish to seal.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:41:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Aren't most systems stainless now days?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:42:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Rust in Texas???  

vmax84
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I remember the good old days when they came from the factory WITH rust.

Manly times, they were.  Then Toyotas and Datsuns arrived on our shores, and the rust bunnies went through a population explosion.

The wheel wells, the hoods, the edges of doors, oh MY.  Covered with lovely blooms of rusty red boils.  

I used to be happy when an exhaust system rotted "clean" off.  It made it simpler to JB Weld on a replacement.  My floor boards were made out of wood on several of my cars.

Lastly, I had a Honda civic from the mid-70s.  It was a decent enough car, but one time when it was raining I started to get water sprayed on me as I drove down the road.  The windows were closed but I felt a light mist spraying the back of my head.  A rot hole had opened in the rear fender and water was spinning off the rear tire.

Good times!

If you choose not to embrace your rust the the tip about polishing it out and putting a clear coat on is a good one.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If a rock nicked the finish, it was cheap to start with.

Don't take it to the dealer, they'll overcharge and put another cheap one on.
Either let it be or get a polished stainless steel tip to replace it.

Whatever it was gave a good dent to it, and scratched down to the metal at the center of it so I don't really blame Ford for that.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:24:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just clean it up and apply clear nail polish to seal.

yep.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top