Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2008 10:46:17 AM EDT
I'm watching episodes of Newsradio on Hulu and every time I see something with Phil Hartman in it, I get pissed off all over again about how some druggie whore took him away from us and robbed the world of his talent.

Anyway, I still view him as one of the greatest comedic actors ever.  Unfortunately, I'm torn about what I would consider his best work.  For that, we go to the polls.

_MaH
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:49:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Lionel Hutz and Troy McClure, FTW!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:51:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm watching episodes of Newsradio on Hulu and every time I see something with Phil Hartman in it, I get pissed off all over again about how some druggie whore took him away from us and robbed the world of his talent.

Anyway, I still view him as one of the greatest comedic actors ever.  Unfortunately, I'm torn about what I would consider his best work.  For that, we go to the polls.

_MaH

I feel the exact way, man.

I grew up watching him as the anal retentive carpenter/chef, as well as other amazing characters on SNL.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#3]
SNL, but he was hilarious in the various voice roles too.

His Donahue impression really cracked me up.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:52:43 AM EDT
[#4]
writing PeeWees big adventure.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:53:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Rocket Fuel ........ DAMN!

He cracked me up on that show.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#6]
As Frank Sinatra in the "We Are the World" SNL sketch.

Nice hair baldy!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:54:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I liked him in everything he was in, but Newsradio was my favorite. Liked the episode where he was trying to quit smoking and was on that dufus Andy Dick's butt.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:55:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:57:36 AM EDT
[#10]
loved watching him as Bill Clinton and Ed McMahon.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:59:10 AM EDT
[#11]
My favorite episode was when the sandwich vending machine is taken out of the office and Bill mysteriously starts to age.

A close second is the cane episode.  "One for the Hamptons. This one displeases me. This one I keep for myself."

Or the rap music episode.
Or the mens room renovation.

His passing truly saddend me. There is never going to be another quite like him.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:59:31 AM EDT
[#12]
"Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You may remeber me from such educational films as 'Blood on the Sidewalk' or 'Why Johnny just Drools'."

I also liked the episode of 'News Radio', where he was trying to quit smoking by using the 'patch'. And he was wlking around acting strange, until someone asked him how many patches he'd used, and he said "All of them".

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
"Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You may remeber me from such educational films as 'Blood on the Sidewalk' or 'Why Johnny just Drools'."

"Or, "Locker Room Towel Fight:  The Blinding of Jimmy Turner"

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:00:58 AM EDT
[#14]
His voice owns in the simpsons.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:02:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My favorite episode was when the sandwich vending machine is taken out of the office and Bill mysteriously starts to age.

A close second is the cane episode.  "One for the Hamptons. This one displeases me. This one I keep for myself."

Or the rap music episode.
Or the mens room renovation.

His passing truly saddend me. There is never going to be another quite like him.

Forgot about those!

"The real deal with Bill McNeil". Ya gotta love it!

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:03:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Famous people die every year, but Phil is the one that if I think about too much I get pissed off.

Andy Dick is lucky he only got a beatdown from Jon Lovitz.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:04:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The camera pans from a recent accident scene to Troy McClure.

Troy: (downcast) "What a terrible waste."  (perks up) "Hi!  I'm Troy McClure.  You might remember me from such driver's ed films as "Alice's Adventures through the Windshield Glass" and "The Decapitation of Larry Leadfoot."  For the next sixty minutes, we'll be seeing actual film of car crash victims."

The footage is shown.  Everyone in the audience seems horrified (one guy almost loses his lunch) except Homer.

Troy: "Here's an appealing fellow –– in fact, they're a-peeling him off the sidewalk."

Homer: (Chuckles) "It's funny 'cause I don't know him."

_MaH
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:05:26 AM EDT
[#18]
The bread good fire bad thing on SNL.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The bread good fire bad thing on SNL.

There was one skit like that where, god I forget what it was, but he almost breaks character because he's losing control of containing his laughter, and manages to barely get out "Fire... BAAAAD!" with a slight laugh at the end.

That whole "Fire... BAAAAAD!" thing never really got old

_MaH
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:16:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:17:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

_MaH

+1

i voted snl because that's where he really showed his range (imo), but his other work was wonderful as well.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:20:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Hi, I'm Troy McClure!  You might remember me from such films as Glady, The Groovy Mule and The President's Neck is Missing!"

"Don't you worry, Mr. Simpson!  I watched Matlock in a bar last night.  The sound wasn't on, but I think I got the gist of it."
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:26:57 AM EDT
[#23]
News Radio was an AMAZING series.

The Rocket Fuel malt liquor episode is one of my favorite sitcom episodes EVER

"Kuzizza y'all!"
edit: enjoy a few minutes of it
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:27:15 AM EDT
[#24]
On SNL when he played Frank and Eddie Murphy played Stevie Wonder, both at a piano in a studio....

Frank sings:
"You are black and I am white,
You are blind as a bat, and I have sight..."
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:28:38 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm just an unfrozen caveman lawyer.  Your world frightens and confuses me!    Sometimes when I fly to Europe on the Concorde, I wonder, am I inside some sort of giant bird? Am I gonna be digested? I don't know, because I'm a caveman, and that's the way I think! When I'm courtside at a Knicks game, I wonder if the ball is some sort of food they're fighting over. When I see my image on the security camera at the country club, I wonder, are they stealing my soul? I get so upset, I hop out of my Range Rover, and run across the fairway to to the clubhouse, where I get Carlos to make me one of those martinis he's so famous for, to soothe my primitive caveman brain. But whatever world you're from, I do know one thing - in the 20 years from March 22nd, 1972, when he first ordered that extra nicotine be put into his product, until February 25th, 1992, when he issued an inter-office memorandum stopping the addition of that nicotine, my client was legally insane. And, for that reason, I ask that you fine him.. not guilty. Thank you.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:28:58 AM EDT
[#26]
He was awesome.  I love me some Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:31:46 AM EDT
[#27]
What a loss.  Seems we lose the brightest ones before we're ready.

John Candy
John Belushi
Chris Farley

This list goes on....
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:32:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm just an unfrozen caveman lawyer.  Your world frightens and confuses me!    Sometimes when I fly to Europe on the Concorde, I wonder, am I inside some sort of giant bird? Am I gonna be digested? I don't know, because I'm a caveman, and that's the way I think! When I'm courtside at a Knicks game, I wonder if the ball is some sort of food they're fighting over. When I see my image on the security camera at the country club, I wonder, are they stealing my soul? I get so upset, I hop out of my Range Rover, and run across the fairway to to the clubhouse, where I get Carlos to make me one of those martinis he's so famous for, to soothe my primitive caveman brain. But whatever world you're from, I do know one thing - in the 20 years from March 22nd, 1972, when he first ordered that extra nicotine be put into his product, until February 25th, 1992, when he issued an inter-office memorandum stopping the addition of that nicotine, my client was legally insane. And, for that reason, I ask that you fine him.. not guilty. Thank you.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/22/Unfrozen_Caveman_Lawyer.jpg

I just had a vision of him representing the plaintiff in a defamation of character lawsuit against GEICO

_MaH
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Hi. I'm Troy McClure. You may remember from such threads as 'Goose in the Drawer' and 'AR Down the Driveway'.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:39:27 AM EDT
[#30]
SNL kicked major ass with him on board.

News Radio was good stuff, too.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/22/Unfrozen_Caveman_Lawyer.jpg

I just had a vision of him representing the plaintiff in a defamation of character lawsuit against GEICO

_MaH

Actually, Phil Hartman was the inspiration for the GEICO caveman commercials.  

"A series of GEICO commercials featuring an offended caveman with perfectly normal intelligence but primitive looks, which eventually spawned its own television program, echoed Hartman's character. "

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#34]
His Sinatra would have made ol Blue Eyes crack up.  Or have a hit put out.  Either way, it was funny as hell.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:45:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Bill McNeil on News Radio. He joked that he based that character on himself but without any ethics or character.

Yeah I think the cane episode is my favorite.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
On SNL when he played Frank and Eddie Murphy played Stevie Wonder, both at a piano in a studio....

Frank sings:
"You are black and I am white,
You are blind as a bat, and I have sight..."

....you are my Amigo....Negro......

Are you sure that wasn't Joe Piscapo as Frank?

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:59:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Been doing the same thing. Love that Hulu has the episodes. Phil Hartman was hilarious.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:02:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Newsradio was awesome!

Don't forget Jimmy James and Matthew, too!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:05:37 PM EDT
[#40]
This McRibb Sandwich? INTERCEPTED BY WARLOARDS!!!
Johnson, there's gonna be a lota things we DONT TELL MRS. CLINTON
Race ya to the Pizza hut!

Phil Hartman is truly missed.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:06:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:48:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Captain Karl on Pee Wee's Playhouse
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:53:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:55:18 PM EDT
[#44]
The Sinatra Group.
His finest turn as "Old Blue Eyes".
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#45]

I saw that the night it originally aired. Look at all the giants of comedy in that skit.

Back when SNL was worth a sh**.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:05:30 PM EDT
[#46]

Phil also did commercial art when he was starting out.

One of his album covers...

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:09:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Dana Carvey as President Clinton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epdVBtXMbHg&feature=related

Wow. Just plain wow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top