Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2008 8:55:58 AM EDT
There are a handful of states that only allow standard capacity mags if they are "pre-ban" and I imagine people in those states must be scrambling to find more sources of these older mags, no?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:57:11 AM EDT
[#1]
There is a thread in EE.  I sold all my pre-bans last year to NYers at a 1:1 ratio for new USGI mags.  Help a brother or sister out!!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:59:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:01:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Question: I have older USGIs that have no date stamped on them. Clearly they are quite old, some with a fair amount of use on them.

Do older USGIs with no stamped date qualify as "pre-ban" or do these states require the dates stamped on the bodies?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:03:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:07:44 AM EDT
[#5]
The long and the short of it is I had a bunch of "pre-bans" stacked away in a closet that I had forgotten about. Many are NIW, some are used. Some have dates stamped on them, some do not. Considering CT has no restrictions on mags, I was curious about the legality of older mags in "ban" states with no stamped date on them.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:21:00 AM EDT
[#6]
That reminds me, I have some "pre-ban" mags just sitting in the closet which I do need to sell to ban-states for the benefit of new shooters.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:28:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:29:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
i traded about 30 last year 1:1 for new mags. some old and worn, some almost new. they were damn happy to get them.

It's the mag body that is the key here, right? They can swap out the followers and springs and refinish the body and "voila!" brand new, legal mag.

Correct?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:35:24 AM EDT
[#9]
intereted Party here in mass
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:35:34 AM EDT
[#10]
My NY friends and family have plenty of prebans that I sent to them. I generally sell/give mine to them,with the understanding that I can buy some of them back if I'm ever forced to return to the state.
Folks who are buying now are probably going to have a bit harder of a time unless they know about arfcom.
They'd probably better hope that NY Dems don't find out that out of state prebans are flowing into the state,as that likely wasn't their intention. They'll view that as a loophole in the current ban.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:40:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
i traded about 30 last year 1:1 for new mags. some old and worn, some almost new. they were damn happy to get them.

It's the mag body that is the key here, right? They can swap out the followers and springs and refinish the body and "voila!" brand new, legal mag.

Correct?

The more I think about it, I'd be into that. Sell my pre-ban (no date) mags to a fellow Patriot living in an occupied State for the price of what it would cost me to replace it with a new one for me.

Of course, since I am not making a dime on the deal (although I do end up with newer mags) I would be chagrin to discover that I "sold" somebody a mag as a courtesy for $10 that they then resold to another desparate Patriot for $20

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:44:47 AM EDT
[#12]
i bought a bunch from someone here on the EE for 5 bucks each last year. Anyone have anymore good deals so i can load my mags?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:05:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Mass General Law:

Chapter 140: Section 121. Firearms sales; definitions; antique firearms; application of law; exceptions

“Large capacity feeding device”, (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term “large capacity feeding device” shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition.

Taken from here: Massachusetts Gun Laws
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:14:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:28:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd be willing to help out my neighbors to the north. I've got 20 or so pre-ban 30rd. GI mags in various states of wear, from near-new, to beat, but functional.
I have one, dated('92), in wrap.

I'd like to get enough to replace them with post bans. That way everyone's happy.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:34:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I have some "pre-ban" mags from my time behind enemy lines (NY) I'd be willing to exchange for the price of new mag.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:38:17 AM EDT
[#17]
All the new CProducts mags I have don't have a date on the mag body so I don't think anyone could tell if they were pre/post ban.  I'm just saying...
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:44:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:45:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Question: I have older USGIs that have no date stamped on them. Clearly they are quite old, some with a fair amount of use on them.

Do older USGIs with no stamped date qualify as "pre-ban" or do these states require the dates stamped on the bodies?

You sure you didnt just thrown them down the driveway or over your house?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:12:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct?

Correct.

Seems like producing a sanitized mag body out of sheet aluminum, especially for a 20, wouldn't be all that difficult...
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:15:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:26:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

There are a number of illegal activities that aren't very difficult.  

I meant more from a technical standpoint, given the MacGuyver style threads about manufacturing lower receivers from just about anything but Velveeta, and the legendary thread about DIY bullets out of lead rod with a jacket made out of .22 brass annealed in a toaster oven.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:31:09 AM EDT
[#23]

You sure you didnt just thrown them down the driveway or over your house?

He tried, but they got stuck!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:33:08 AM EDT
[#24]
There is some moderate demand....

I've lived in NY for years.  Immediately after the expiration of the federal AWB, I traded for large numbers of pre-ban stuff.  Gimme your decent preban stuff, and I'll buy you new no-ban stuff.  Worked well.  I also bought quantities of new, in wrap preban mags for $11-13 each.

There is some demand.  No.  we aren't stupid enough to pay $25 each for used preban mags AR mags.  Personally, I'll drop up top $15-16 a piece for decent prebans.  If the prices are higher than that, the seller can keep it.  

There is a premium for preban.  Its not large.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:53:58 AM EDT
[#25]
I think I've got a better handle on the situation (legalities and demand) now. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:56:15 AM EDT
[#26]
I haven't seen a huge spike in demand in MA and the demand is probably similar to what it is in NY seeing they both have state AWB bans. The dated ones might be more sought after.

I just sold a bunch of mags to a MA fellow for the cost of new ones and he took the dated ones over the non-dated.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:00:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I posted some pre-ban 30rd USGI mags for sale on the EE last year for $11.00 or $12.00 shipped for ban state guys in order to clean out the closet or pick up some new mags after selling off a number of ARs.  

Most of them ended up going to guys from Texas etc. who wanted to cherry pick certain manufacturers mags. I wasn't making much as I included no-tilt replacement followers extra for every mag I sold.

I'd sell some more off if everyone wasn't out of P-Mags, though I picked up some before everyone sold out.  The 20rd aluminum mags I have I hold onto.

Depending how many you have, you can probably sell them but I put in my add that they were sold in lots of 10 to save on flat rate box shipping from USPS.  Otherwise, you get the guys who want only 1 or 2 mags and that is a waste of time.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:09:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I know I was.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:11:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Eh, I'm in NY and I've bought some preban Thermold 30rd mags in the EE for $13 each amd preban USGI 30rd mags for $12 each... any more than that and if they're not NIW I'd pass, you can find decent deals on the EE... hell, I saw good quality pre-ban mags at a Gun show for $15 / each.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:13:05 PM EDT
[#30]
I have "plenty" of preban mags as well.  I still buy more when I see them at a reasonable price (both 20 and 30 rounders, as long as the 20's have the alloy follower).

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:22:49 PM EDT
[#31]
I traded some NIW and like new postban 30's  1 for 1 for prebans last year, thanks to the thread in the  EE.      I still have some I'd like to exchange, but eveyone now is only looking for Pmags, and doesn't want any aluminium USGIs anymore.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:40:32 PM EDT
[#32]
I found some, 5 or 6, NIW Okays the other day and was thinking I could help a brother or sister out also.
I thought I had more than that but I can't find them!
I also have several Orlites that are pre-enjoyed that I could part with if someone needed them.

I was thinking of traded them for some C-Products Black Teflon, Orange follower and Tactipul if anyone is interested?

I tried to swap my pre-ban Beta C after the ban ended and had people calling me a gouger because I wasn't willing to pay shipping both ways.

I see them selling now for $300.00 or so and up and I just wasn't willing to lose $200.00 or more on the deal.

I swapped some Mini mags once with a fellow ARFCOMMER from NY for a couple hats for my kids and they still wear them.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#33]
There must be some kind of demand.  I recently sold off a bunch to help the NY'ers, and I sold out extremely quickly. If I would have had another 50 mags, I could have sold them too.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:11:25 PM EDT
[#34]
(stares outside window at landscape of New York, thinking "Ah, fuck you")

BTW, we'll be well adjusted for the upcoming ban. Start drinking now, it helps.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:00:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Well if any of you guys have some pre bans you want to sell I am interested if the price is fair, and no I am not going to sell them for profit. I just sold an ar-15 of mine to a friend and he is looking for some mags. I am also  a member of www.northeastshooters.com and thier are fellow members there looking for mags.

thanks
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:03:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Mass General Law:

Chapter 140: Section 121. Firearms sales; definitions; antique firearms; application of law; exceptions

“Large capacity feeding device”, (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term “large capacity feeding device” shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition.

Those 3 words in red make my fucking head hurt.

(former Masshole here)
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Well if any of you guys have some pre bans you want to sell I am interested if the price is fair, and no I am not going to sell them for profit. I just sold an ar-15 of mine to a friend and he is looking for some mags. I am also  a member of www.northeastshooters.com and thier are fellow members there looking for mags.

Your IM box is full.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:12:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Mass General Law:

This does not count against pre-ban magazines, only new production mags. Dealers here can buy all the pre bans they can get, and sell them for ridiculous prices in some cases.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:12:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct?

Correct.

Seems like producing a sanitized mag body out of sheet aluminum, especially for a 20, wouldn't be all that difficult...

During the ban CMMG was selling Black teflon coated aluminum bodies for "replacement" purposes

I wonder if magpul could sell pmag bodies as "replacement" parts to the ban states.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:18:44 PM EDT
[#40]
I've got like half a dozen dated mags I'd swap out for some of the CProducts teflon coated 30's that AIM has for less than $10 each at a 1:1 ratio.

Danny

ETA: I have more that are not dated, but are prebans for the same deal.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:34:44 PM EDT
[#41]
of the ones I noticed the price on last show gunshow prices on them are still under $20 per 30 rounder
I have a bunch, most bought during the ban, so I haven't taken close notice of the price or availability at shows
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:42:43 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a bunch that I've gotten through EE and some guys over at NYfirearms.com, but I would be interested in some straight 20's with alum followers as well. Most of my friends are able to find marked pre-ban 30's fairly easily for 20 or less a piece.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:45:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct?

Correct.

During the ban CMMG was selling Black teflon coated aluminum bodies for "replacement" purposes

I wonder if magpul could sell pmag bodies as "replacement" parts to the ban states.

The rule that allowed "replacement" parts was an ATF regulation.

It has no force and effect in NY.

I'm confident that a NY court would find that replacement springs, followers, etc are ok, but that the body is actually the "magazine" and must have been made before 9/14/2004.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:52:40 PM EDT
[#44]
How does one determine which magazine is "pre-ban", and which is not?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:58:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
There is a thread in EE.  I sold all my pre-bans last year to NYers at a 1:1 ratio for new USGI mags.  Help a brother or sister out!!!

That's what I did.  They had new springs and green followers to boot!

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Well if anyone has any pre-9/94 mags that they want to get rid of, and especially if they are losing /have lost their finish, scratched, etc. I will be happy to purchase them. . . but I don't want to pay more than $9.00/ea for them. . .
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:52:21 PM EDT
[#47]
I have some I would trade 1:1 on new C product mags to help someone out. (10 at a time) I'm sure mine are mostly pre 94 with no dates but are new or very close to it. Mine will have black followers.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:35:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Morning wood
What do those mags run for?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:36:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Morning wood
What do those mags run for?

http://www.cproductsllc.com/shop/index.php?cPath=22_29&osCsid=c699e5386cc3c96b363f4e1a2a29532e

This is where I was refering to in my post.

Let your guys know or you can do it for them if they want to swap for mine.

I am still thinking I have some more somewhere if I could just find them.

BigDozer66

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:41:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Please use the WTT section of the Equipment Exchange
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top