Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2001 12:08:33 PM EDT
I am looking for a package deal that will include the gun, mask, armor for around $150-200.  Any suggestions on brands, etc.  I just want a standard semi-auto CO2 setup, but I want something with a decent warranty that is very reliable.  Links are appreciated, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 12:18:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Try [url]www.pbnation.com[/url]

From what I have gleaned from 'those who seem to know'  the Spyder brand, Tippman brand and the Pirhana's are all good and relatively inexpensive.  You should be able to get a good package deal for under $200.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 12:38:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Spyder is a good "beginner" marker. I say that with some hesitation, because a Spyder can also be a good "expert" marker. I've been using one for 3 years. It's been dropped in water, on concrete, and banged around on the feild. The only thing I replaced was the barrel. They are very popular, and many players use them.

I belive Wal-Mart now sells Spyders.

Av.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 12:53:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, Spyder is the way to go at first. Make sure you get a sniper BL. Either a 16" Armson or a 20" stone cold 2 by Taso. I have both and the guys I play against hate me. Nothing like hitting a man in the back of the head at 75 yards while he is retreating from your hell fire. Then get a hopper that has a built in auger. I hated it when the I would out shoot my balls faster than they would feed. That took care of that. Hehe, You ever hear a guy start to shake his gun and hear the balls rattling. I like to rush him and make him get his balls jammed up again. LOL, Thats what will happen to you if you try to fill the hopper up to much. Unless you have a hopper with the auger. Now back to the BL, if you get a sniper BL you will be able to stand just out of the normal guys range and cover him up while someone on your team moves in for the kill or just wait for him to streach his gun out and give it a good paint job. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee hAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a spyder as well. I bought an after market 16" barrell. It rocks now. Good marker, lots of fun.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 1:06:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I urge you to buy the Tippmann 98, then buy a Smartparts "All-American" barrell for improved accuracy.  The Spider is a good gun, BUT the Tippmann 98 is better.  It is widely known as the "AK" of paintball guns.  They are rough, tough, and can keep up with guns costing hundreds more.  I know of a few players that bought Spiders, broke them early on or had too much trouble with them and then went out and bought a Tippmann 98.  The three guys on my team (amateur) all wish they would have taken my advice first on and had bought Tippmanns to begin with.  But,... to each his own.  Buy what you like, but buy smart.

JRB  
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 1:13:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I prefer Brass Eagle Stingrays and Tigersharks, with the old-school black plastic, not the gem crap.  Of course, I have a milling machine, and I've customized all of my guns to a degree.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 1:13:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a model 98 and really like it.  It has a 12" DYE SS barrel on it and some other goodies.  I don't play anymore but they now have tons of extras for the 98.  If I was still up with paintball, I would get a fore grip expansion chamber, remote tank and the adjustable CAR style stock.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Go with the Tippman 98 custom.  You can get a package for $150-200.  Its readily modified and has a lot of upgrades.  Like the guys said, its like an AK.  Reliable and easy to use.  It will allow you to keep up with the really souped up markers.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 1:40:19 PM EDT
[#9]
My personal favorite to participate in "Paint-Ball" games is the ArmaLite AR-18S with the short pistol grip.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 1:53:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone who shoots "real" handguns, rifles, etc. will appreciate the feel of a Tippmann model 98 Custom.  This paintgun has what can be compared to a 1911 frame and a SINGLE trigger.  Those double triggers feel very awkward if you are accustomed to the feel of a real firearm.  I use a 98 and everyone I play with/against uses them.  They have a very simple design, anyone with basic firearms know how should be able to completely dissasemble/reassemble one with ease.  They are very reliable and accurate.  I have played against people with $600 markers and beat them every time.  I promise you, if you buy this combination, you will be the king of the field.
Tippmann model 98 custom
Armson Stealth 13"/16" rifled barrel ( a must get item, accuracy is incredible)
VL Revolution 9V hopper ( you will want this after playing a couple of games and shaking the hell out of your hopper)
RP Scherer Marbalizer paint: Gator Green ( I have tried alot of other brands and nothing shoots better in the gun/barrel combination)

Whatever you do, DO NOT ADD ANYTHING INTERNAL TO YOUR MARKER.  I tried alot of different "upgrades" and nothing, I repeat, nothing was reliable.  I wasted alot of money on stuff that made the gun malfunction.

Things that aren't worth buying:
Armson Power Feed
Billett power tube
Venturi style bolt
Rocket Cocker

Get a good mask.  If you experience fogging problems, email me and I'll give you instructions for a cheap, simple, very effective defogging fan.  This goes for any of you paintballers.  Email me and I'll be glad to share my little secret with you.  Have fun and be safe.

Edited to add: You will want a 20oz. CO2 tank and a remote.  Trust me on this, it gets the weight off your marker and is much better on the internal parts of the gun as less liquid Co2 goes through the gun and freezes the O-rings.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 2:07:52 PM EDT
[#11]

I own 18 paintball guns, played on the tourny circuit 5 years, and owned a paintball store 2 years.

The tippman is your best bet for an entry level marker the Glock of paintball guns.  Will run on gas or liquid, built like a tank and will shoot almost any paint.  The Spyder is a cheap throw away piece of junk.  

The biggest mistake most people make is their mask.  Buy the best mask you can, it will make or break your game.  JT Flex with the double lens is my favorite.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 2:47:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Personally I would get the Tippman Model 98 with the Flatline barrel system. It adds some back spin to the ball giving it a little more distance. It also alows you to be able to shoot around trees or obstacles. This is just my opinion. Go ahead and do whatever you want.

kool

[50]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 2:58:59 PM EDT
[#13]
[img]http://www.geocities.com/minion82/mp5paintball.jpg[/img]

Standard Spyder 2000 in an airsoft mp5 body.

Have you considered playing pump rather than semi?  It will make you into a better player much faster, and you'll know that all your eliminations were earned entirely on your own skill, and not on the ability of your marker to put out 13 balls per second (gotta love spray and pray, though).  You can also get a top of the line pump for the amount of money you'd spend on an entry-level semi.  I recommend the CCI Phantom; it's simple, light, accurate and upgradable.  You could also look at the Sniper 2 or 3, which are basically non-pneumatic versions of the Autococker; these are also highly upgradable, but are very complex (which generally means more to go wrong IMO).  If you are thinking about the Tippman 98, I highly suggest you look into getting a flatline barrel for it... from what I hear, it flattens your flight path and increases the range slightly, but I've never owned one, so I can't really speak from personal experience.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 3:05:20 PM EDT
[#14]
get any tippman gun there all good!!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Get the Tippmann.
I've had a Carbine since 98.  I have yet to replace anything except the CO2 o-ring. I bought a 14" barrel and no one touches me unless I decide to advance and everyone hates to get hit before they even see me.

[sniper]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 5:06:23 PM EDT
[#16]
LCD Angel or a Spyder Shutter
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top