Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/18/2008 7:23:31 AM EDT
I have decided I need a new MP3 player, so which one do I want?

I like the somewhat bigger screen on the Zune but the IPOD seems to have more goodies and they are EVERYWHERE.

So you decide I buy.

Zune 120gig

IPOD 120 gig
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:27:09 AM EDT
[#1]
IPOD!
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:31:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a 30 gig Zune and love it.  I did not want to have to deal with itunes.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:32:23 AM EDT
[#3]
If iPod, get a refurb.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod?mco=MTE2Nzc
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:34:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I have both a 60GB and 80GB Ipods and I have never had any problems with them.

I like Itunes better than the Window Media Player and the process is pretty seemless.

There are a lot of protective cases out for Ipods.  Both Otter and Pelican make tough cases that you can plug headphones into and listen while you are out.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:37:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Ipod definitely.  There are third party programs that you can use (like Winamp) if you don't want to use Itunes.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:37:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a 120gb Zune and I like it.  I prefer the Zune software over Itunes.

While I prefer the Zune, you probably wouldn't lose either way you decide.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:37:31 AM EDT
[#7]
The only reason this is a questions is basically ITUNES I HATE IT I hate it with a passion I despise it........However loved my old IPOD and have never really used the Zune before the IPOD was fairly easy to work and i like the looks more, the Zune has a bigger screen if I were to actually put videos on it.

So far I am leaning towards the IPOD but did i mention I HATE I TUNES.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:38:03 AM EDT
[#8]
iTunes is too difficult to work if you're not all the familiar with Mac stuff IMO. Also I can't stand Apple/Mac so I went with the Zune and love it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:38:56 AM EDT
[#9]
What's a Zune?

-JTP
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:39:05 AM EDT
[#10]
One legit knock on iPod is the video format.  Formatting to .mp4 isn't difficult but for a while Videora was having audio/video sync problems with movies.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:39:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for posting this topic Sixpak - I have been wondering the same thing (g/f wants one). And I too, hate iTunes...
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:40:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
IPOD!

+1

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:40:33 AM EDT
[#13]
What's New in Winamp 5.541?
Now Playing: Discover Artist Songs, Videos, Radio and Photos
AOL Radio Powered by CBS Radio
Expanded Flash video support
Media Monitor: Playing the music web just got even better
Language packs available in Chinese, Japanese and Korean
As always Winamp also features:

iPod Support: Play and manage music on your iPod

Album Art: Retrieve and view Album Art
Auto-Tag: Automatically update your song information
Dynamic Song Recommendations
Remote Media: Access your media remotely
Thousands of skins and plug-ins to make Winamp even better
Free videos, radio stations, MP3 downloads and more

http://www.winamp.com/player
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:44:08 AM EDT
[#14]
If you can find an older ipod, you could run linux firmware on it and not have to use itunes.  Just a thought.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:57:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you can find an older ipod, you could run linux firmware on it and not have to use itunes.  Just a thought.

I'm not smart enough to figure out Linux tried it PHAILED hard.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:58:05 AM EDT
[#16]
All of my friends have the various IPOD models, and most of them who use them everyday have had problems that required the use of their warranty (a horrible experience) or the purchase of a new mp3 player. My zune has had no problems in that time period, and I have abused it. It has been dropped, it has gotten wet, and has been in temps from 120- 0* without a hiccup.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:58:56 AM EDT
[#17]
the zune software is retarted
at least itunes actually works
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:06:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

True enough however the ITUNES software won't let you move songs you  BOUGHT from one PC to another or to say a blackberry or if you have 2 ipods the song only goes on one device.  thusly why I hate it.

Since I have 3 pc's I would want to use it on.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:09:39 AM EDT
[#19]
I've been heavily using my 60gig Ipod since fall of 2005 - in the car, at the sound board of a club, travelling, you name it. I've never had one single problem with mine, although I don't download anything (I rip direct from CD's). The user interface of the Ipod is the best there is. I've never really had any problems with ITunes eiher, but I don't let it connect to anything online or do any downloads so I don't use anywhere near all its features.

ETA: I run I Tunes on a PC and on a laptop, and when I added the laptop all I did was connect the two computers through my router and use Windows Explorer to copy the music  files from one to the other. I installed ITunes seperately from the same original CD on each system. The IPod syncs just fine with either PC, and whenever I rip a new CD I just copy the files over as before to the other PC. No problem.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:16:50 AM EDT
[#20]
iPod.

I love mine and have never had a problem with it or iTunes.

Of course, I use a Mac, so that's expected.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:17:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Oops. Double-tap.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:19:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Love my nano.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:21:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

True enough however the ITUNES software won't let you move songs you  BOUGHT from one PC to another or to say a blackberry or if you have 2 ipods the song only goes on one device.  thusly why I hate it.

That would be false. Unlimited ipods and 5 computers. So you don't hate it? If you want to deauthorize it you can put it on your crackberry.
Link on APPLE for copying between computers.

-JTP
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:23:52 AM EDT
[#24]
If you want to buy music from an online store, get an iPod.

If you don't, I've been more than happy with my Zune and friends are more than happy with iPods, so it's a toss up IMO.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:27:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have a 120gb Zune and I like it.  I prefer the Zune software over Itunes.

While I prefer the Zune, you probably wouldn't lose either way you decide.

+1
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:32:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The only reason this is a questions is basically ITUNES I HATE IT I hate it with a passion I despise it........However loved my old IPOD and have never really used the Zune before the IPOD was fairly easy to work and i like the looks more, the Zune has a bigger screen if I were to actually put videos on it.

So far I am leaning towards the IPOD but did i mention I HATE I TUNES.

Mind explaining?

Bill

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:37:12 AM EDT
[#27]
I say iPod.  I love mine.  It has never given me any problems.  I've used it for 4 years now.   I also like iTunes.  Especially the current version.  Back when iTunes first came out, I didn't like it.  Apple has done a lot to make it a really nice piece of software.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:38:18 AM EDT
[#28]
will either of them play mp4 with out doing any more converting.

i would like to take video from you tube and such sites and download it by using keepvid.com
than just upload it to a player zune or ipod.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:41:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Zune for me. My wife and I each bought a referb 30 gig model for $80 (each). We both use them hard and have not had any issues. I personally don't have any issues with using the Zune software or buying songs. I will most likely be buying the 120 gig in the near future.

It does everything the ipod does except one thing. Make the buyer feel cool and hip. Well, the fact is I am 42, overweight, married, and have grey hair. Being "cool and hip" is pretty much a non-issue at this point.

If you are not worried about the whole ipod "cool and hip" thing, save your money and get a Zune.

ETA: just saw they are the same price. nevermind about the money.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:44:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

that would be a problem if you actually buy music files.  buy cds and rip 'em or find some other way to get .mp3s, and you won't have this issue.  

i say ipod despite the lameness of itunes.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:48:45 AM EDT
[#31]
I have an iPod Classic 80G that I really like.
Itunes isn't my favorite program but I don't really have a problem with it.
I also use Sharepod, a free program for managing iPod content.
http://www.getsharepod.com/
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:50:02 AM EDT
[#32]
I have both, zune is horrible.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:50:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Only iPod "trouble" I had was that I apparently sweat too much when working out.  My nano died after about 8 months.  They were really quick to pick it up and return it.  Their response was to diagnose "accidental damage/abuse" from liquid exposure.  Therefore it wasn't covered under warranty.  Guess I have to work out with its replacement in a frickin' ziplock bag.

It worked great, but I had no idea the damn things were that fragile!
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:52:26 AM EDT
[#34]
iPod touch

Because surfing ARFCOM from it ROCKS
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:56:08 AM EDT
[#35]
<–––––– never had one, but thinking about one

Will these play MP3s that I have in WMP?
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 9:09:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I actually like the Zune software

In what way doesn't it work?

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 9:13:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
iTunes is too difficult to work if you're not all the familiar with Mac stuff IMO

Drag & drop is difficult if you're not a Mac person?

I've used my iPod just about every day since I bought it 2 years ago, and it has been 100% reliable.  And that includes activities from using it in the gym to bashing around my glovebox while it's hooked up to my car's CD player (no FM modulator fail bullshit).
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 9:13:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Zune for me. My wife and I each bought a referb 30 gig model for $80 (each). We both use them hard and have not had any issues. I personally don't have any issues with using the Zune software or buying songs. I will most likely be buying the 120 gig in the near future.

It does everything the ipod does except one thing. Make the buyer feel cool and hip. Well, the fact is I am 42, overweight, married, and have grey hair. Being "cool and hip" is pretty much a non-issue at this point.

If you are not worried about the whole ipod "cool and hip" thing, save your money and get a Zune.

ETA: just saw they are the same price. nevermind about the money.

I'm 47, but I don't need my IPod to make me cool...
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 9:14:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You can move music files to different computers with no problem. You just have to authorize the other computer. My wife and I share music files bought on iTunes all the time. We have them all on both PCs and also on the laptop. The first time I tried to play one of her songs, iTunes asked me for her credentials. She typed them in and now my PC is authorized to play songs that were bought on her account.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#40]
I have two Zunes and love them both, the software is alright.  The downside to the Zune is lack of accessories. If you lose a charger or have one stolen, be prepared to wait for a new one to be shipped to you.  

Zach
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 9:47:41 AM EDT
[#41]
will either of them play mp4 with out doing any more converting.

i would like to take video from you tube and such sites and download it by using keepvid.com
than just upload it to a player zune or ipod.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:02:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whoa!  Is that true?!  My wife has an IPOD and uses iTunes on the home PC.  We're thinking about getting our daughter her own IPOD and using the same computer.  They'd want to have a lot of the same songs on both IPODs.  Will iTunes not allow them both to have the same music on their separate IPODS???
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:06:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I've been heavily using my 60gig Ipod since fall of 2005 - in the car, at the sound board of a club, travelling, you name it. I've never had one single problem with mine, although I don't download anything (I rip direct from CD's). The user interface of the Ipod is the best there is. I've never really had any problems with ITunes eiher, but I don't let it connect to anything online or do any downloads so I don't use anywhere near all its features.

ETA: I run I Tunes on a PC and on a laptop, and when I added the laptop all I did was connect the two computers through my router and use Windows Explorer to copy the music  files from one to the other. I installed ITunes seperately from the same original CD on each system. The IPod syncs just fine with either PC, and whenever I rip a new CD I just copy the files over as before to the other PC. No problem.

This, except I have been loving my 60GB iPod since 2004.  iTunes works well.  I use a shared folder on my network, so that my music is available across the network to me and my wife on our respective laptops, and on my basement computer.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:08:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't buy music through iTunes.  I thought everyone knew that.  

Get actual DRM free music, like MP3s from Amazon.com or ripped CDs and keep them in a shared folder.

iTunes has gotten to be a pretty good little program in the last year or so.  Some of the things require getting used to, but that is true for EVERYTHING that requires syncing.  You just have to learn how it works.

BTW - NEVER BUY MUSIC THROUGH ITUNES, unless you are prepared to lose it someday.  Never limit yourself to a proprietary format if you can help it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:10:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:24:28 AM EDT
[#46]
ipod ftw
i find the zune awkward
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:30:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What, there's a question here?  Get the iPod.  There's a reason it has more than 70% of the MP3 player market share.

Because it's been out for 8 years?
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:34:06 AM EDT
[#48]
I like the ipod.  It has tons of accessories, carry cases, whatever you want.

However I'm the 1 in 1000 that just doesn't understand how to use it.  I can get it to play and I can go back or forward a song, but more than that I don't understand.  I have no idea how to find a song or organize them or anything.  

If they made an ipod without the gay wheel I'd be happy.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:36:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What, there's a question here?  Get the iPod.  There's a reason it has more than 70% of the MP3 player market share.

Because it's been out for 8 years?

If it sucked the 8 years wouldn't mean squat. It's a good player.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:38:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Poll Fail!  There are so many better choices out there than either the iPod or Zune.

Creative Zen user, myself.  Under linux at that.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top