Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/17/2008 6:30:24 PM EDT
Does anyone out there have teenagers preparing for the ACT?  It seems like scholorship requirements to good schools have increased a whole lot since I was in college.  Most good schools require a 34/36 to be considered for a scholorship.  

How do you motivate a teenager to study for this kind of thing?  We've showed him all the scholorship requirements to these schools.  The only way he is going to be able to attend one of these schools is to get a really good scholorship.  We can't afford to pay the money they want for a semester.  

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Most schools have a study program you can sign up for. Take it as early as you can, and as often as you can afford. Colleges will only look at the highest score.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:33:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Does anyone out there have teenagers preparing for the ACT?  It seems like scholorship requirements to good schools have increased a whole lot since I was in college.  Most good schools require a 34/36 to be considered for a scholorship.  

How do you motivate a teenager to study for this kind of thing?  We've showed him all the scholorship requirements to these schools.  The only way he is going to be able to attend one of these schools is to get a really good scholorship.  We can't afford to pay the money they want for a semester.  

Any ideas?

34-36?? 36 is a perfect score. Most colleges (in state) will award scholarships mid to upper 20's.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:40:32 PM EDT
[#3]
for some strange reason, I thought you were taking about sex.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

LOL me too
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#5]
He needs to study his butt off.

I got a 19 on my ACT.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:44:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Any ideas?

If they actually paid attention for the prior 3 years, they should be able to walk in, take the damn test, and score 27+...

<- 29, 1997. Didn't study one bit.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:45:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most good schools require a 34/36 to be considered for a scholorship.  

34-36?? 36 is a perfect score. Most colleges (in state) will award scholarships mid to upper 20's.

No kidding. I think 1 or 2 people in my high school got above a 34. That's genius level.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any ideas?

If they actually paid attention for the prior 3 years, they should be able to walk in, take the damn test, and score 27+...

This.

Didnt study, woke up 10mins before the test and didnt really try and I got a 24.  I could have scored a 30+ if I had actually tried.  Some of the questions were downright ridiculously easy.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:46:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Anal Clit Tits?
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:47:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:48:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't like the people that study for tests like the ACT and the SAT.

I took each once, and did not prepare, to try to get an accurate judge of where I was.

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:51:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Actually no one I went to high school with took the ACT as far as I know, out here the SAT is much more popular.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Unless your kid is exceptionally bright or has been going to a very good prep school a 34/36 is unreasonable...
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:53:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Most of it is being patient with the questions you know, and not making dumb mistakes in reading comprehension.  That's the only reason I got a 35 instead of 36.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:55:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I got a 32, didn't study for it.  I'm probably not the best person to get advice for it.

It's a heavily analytical test.  I'm that kind of guy.

Also, no, schools don't require 34/36 for scholarships.  You definitely aren't reading that correctly.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:56:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I got a 34 overall, IIRC - with 36 in one subcategory and 35 in another.

I didn't get shit; no scholarships for me. Being white, male, and from a middle-class (I guess what the masses now consider "upper-middle class") family means no special treatment.

And yes, I did apply for all kinds of scholarships. I think the total amount of "scholarship" money I got for all four years of college was $500. Whoop de fucking do. Pay for books for one semester.

BTW, I'm talking a state school here. A higher-ranked state school, yes, but still a state school.

One other really interesting fact - scholarship and financial aid applications only ask about your familie's "net" income after taxes; not including any expenses. So, if you make $200k but have to spend all of it just to support a huge-ass family, they don't give a shit - because you still technically make $200k.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 7:01:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I took the ACT twice.  Both times without any prep.  The first time a got a 27 as a sophomore, 30 as a junior.  Grabbed a $1k per year scholarship from the state (MO) and got into pharmacy school without an interview.

One guy in the year ahead of me got a 36.  He went to MIT.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 7:02:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Do what my dad id. Send him into the Navy.

My brother actually did well on his ACTs - but had just no ambition. So he went into the Navy Nuke school.

He doesn't want to go to college - meh - send him somewhere else. Tell him its time to unplug the X-Box for a second. Tell him within 6 mo of graduation he needs to be:

1) Attending a Juco or 4 yr college

2) Be moved out

3) Signed up with the armed forces

If he wants advice on how to get to the school or the armed forces - you here to help. Other wise he is in for a surprise at 18.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 7:21:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

One guy in the year ahead of me got a 36.  He went to MIT.

I graduated HS in 2002 and we also had a guy get 36/full ride to MIT.

One of the girls in my class graduated a year early(our junior year) and scored a 34 or 35, I dont remember exactly which, on her ACT.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 7:25:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I got a 31. I only took it because my girlfriend at the time wanted someone to go with her.

About a year after I took it I got a letter from the ACT folks saying my score had been upped by 1 pt. because the questions were racially biased. This was in 1989/1990.

So I got 1 ACT smarter because black people and mexicans couldn't follow math questions without the name of Leroy and Juan in them.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 7:32:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
He needs to study his butt off.

I got a 19 on my ACT.

i got a 20 on mine and i never fucking studied.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 7:32:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I got a 31. I only took it because my girlfriend at the time wanted someone to go with her.

About a year after I took it I got a letter from the ACT folks saying my score had been upped by 1 pt. because the questions were racially biased. This was in 1989/1990.

So I got 1 ACT smarter because black people and mexicans couldn't follow math questions without the name of Leroy and Juan in them.

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 7:36:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Got a 27 on mine, without studying one bit.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#24]
ya, i got a 27 on mine too, ant the 34-36 thing must be bogus.
I go to University of New Orleans, its academically one of the better schools in the state, and they begin giving scholarships at scores somewhere around 24ish.  but my best advice would be to start taking it now and keep taking it, many people get somewhere around a 3-6 point jump after multiple trys.  its not really something you can study for, but an ACT prep class is certainly a good idea, although some are quite expensive.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 7:45:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I scored a 25 I believe. Oh and I was stoned out of my mind Also completely guessed at the entire science part and took a nap, lol. I figure I could do 30 if I put my mind to it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#26]
the ACT is made tough to root out the lazy, stupid, and those who just suck/not fit for colleges...

that said, to "study" for the ACT, well, thats what the 4 yrs in high school and 3 yrs in middle school are for

take the practice tests, UNDERSTAND how and why the math works; as to the reading section, learn how to read the 'important' parts (skim) and read the questions FIRST, so you know what answers to be looking for; as to the sci, well, that takes some intuitive thinking...

watch the time, dont dwadal on a question you cant get––skip em, go to something you CAN get; guess "B" on any you have to...if its near the end of the section, guess "D"

as to motivation of a teen to do well in school, well the best ways are to: beat the kid; kick him out of the house so he/she will understand the importance of an education and hard work and self-determination the 'hard' way; walk into a mcdonalds
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 7:47:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL me too

+3
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 7:49:01 PM EDT
[#28]
I got a 37. It's a secret level that you can achieve.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 7:59:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

LOL, same here.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I studied for the ACT in Afghanistan with practice books I bought. Got a 33 and now I'm in college. Got a 36 on every section except math. Fuckin math. RLTW
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:13:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Got a 27 after my sophomore year.. no studying and I used a fucking calculator out of a cereal box on the math portion. Really. Took it a couple of more times but got a 26 and another 27 (this time with a real calculator, go figure), guess that's where I'm supposed to be.

It's not really hard, unless you aren't too great at taking tests. Make sure you finish in the time limit. I got a nice scholarship because of my score but I fucked that up by going into engineering, lol.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:16:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, same here.

+1

Took the SAT in highschool...bombed the fucking thing..I don't remember what I got...but it was in the dumbass range Then I said "fuck it, I'm not wasting my time with this shit" and did it the hard way...

Went to community college for a year, did well, then was admitted to a state college without having to take any entrance exams. Took me five years to earn my BA...working nearly full time.

Uncle Sugar gave me an AAS in Electronic Systems Technology and paid for my MSCIS  while I was on active duty in the AF. Never took an entrance exam for my Master's...just took the classes and maintained an A average....that was enough

I make decent money and enjoy what I do....in the end, that's all that matters, right?

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:18:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any ideas?

You say that like it's a good thing. A 29 is a sucktastic score. It's what I got.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:27:43 PM EDT
[#34]
I scored a 31 on the ACT as a junior, and I won't even post what I embarassed myself with on the SAT.

From my outdated experience (1988), if the kid likes to solve problems (Math/ Science/History etc....take the ACT. If he/she is good with Literature/English/Poetry etc. he/she will excell with the SAT.

If the kid's young enough, take both and you'll know which to focus on.

Good Luck!!
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:31:49 PM EDT
[#35]
I scored a 32 on the ACT the first time I took it in the fall of 2003.The second time in the spring of 2004 I scored a 29 went down a little but it doesn't matter now at all because I pump gas for the Air Force.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:34:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any ideas?

You say that like it's a good thing. A 29 is a sucktastic score. It's what I got.

When the national average is 20 a 29 doesn't seem all that bad.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:34:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Any ideas?

I did a prep class. I'm glad I did. I ended up getting a 28 on it. Not the greatest score, but definitely above average.

I believe 36 is a perfect score for the ACT
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:37:06 PM EDT
[#38]
scoring high on the ACT only means you are good at taking such kinds of tests
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:39:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I scored a 31 on the ACT as a junior, and I won't even post what I embarassed myself with on the SAT.

From my outdated experience (1988), if the kid likes to solve problems (Math/ Science/History etc....take the ACT. If he/she is good with Literature/English/Poetry etc. he/she will excell with the SAT.

If the kid's young enough, take both and you'll know which to focus on.

Good Luck!!

Most of the schools i looked at (2005) don't even accept SAT scores anymore. They were mostly ACT with optional SAT which i took to mean... "you can send it but we wont even look at it"
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

When the national average is 20 a 29 doesn't seem all that bad.

I ran out of time on a lot of sections and felt rushed the whole time. It doesn't matter anyway.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:41:34 PM EDT
[#41]
I took mine the beginning of my sophomore year and made a 25 without preparing. I never took the test again, and had all of my school paid + enough for all of my books. It really depends on which school you are applying for.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:48:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It does play a part, but not that much.

I got a 30 in everything except for a 34 in reading, and a 26 in math.  No studying.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Excuses, excuses. It means you're both a good analytical thinker and knowledgeable of basic math and science. Doesn't mean you can pick up chicks or give a winning oration. Or write a complete sentence.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 9:03:28 PM EDT
[#44]
My son got a 29 and that got him an all tuition paid scholarship to a Missouri state university.  He is also top 10% of his class with a 4.3 GPA (out of 4).  

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 9:06:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excuses, excuses. It means you're both a good analytical thinker and knowledgeable of basic math and science. Doesn't mean you can pick up chicks or give a winning oration. Or write a complete sentence.

you confuse me
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 9:12:54 PM EDT
[#46]
I didn't take the ACT, but I scored in the 99th percentile on the SAT and the 98th on the LSAT, so I think that's predictive. :D

I got a merit scholarship for my undergrad.

Remains to be seen what that LSAT gets me.

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 9:16:42 PM EDT
[#47]
28 on mine with no prep. But that was in 1985.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 11:55:05 PM EDT
[#48]
I made a 30.  Made a 30 twice.  Never took any prep classes, didn't realize they were even offered.

The prep claases can't hurt and may help.  Depending on the caliber of the school will also determine how much financial aid you can get for a certain grade on it.  At our larger two schools in the state a 31 will get you a full ride, 32 will get room and board also.  At the smaller four years schools a 29 will get a full ride and a 30 will get you room and board also.  My dumbass didn't want to go to the school that offered me full ride plus room and board so instead I had to pay for school myself because all the scholarships were taken already.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 12:05:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Do what my dad id. Send him into the Navy.

My brother actually did well on his ACTs - but had just no ambition. So he went into the Navy Nuke school.

He doesn't want to go to college - meh - send him somewhere else. Tell him its time to unplug the X-Box for a second. Tell him within 6 mo of graduation he needs to be:

1) Attending a Juco or 4 yr college

2) Be moved out

3) Signed up with the armed forces

If he wants advice on how to get to the school or the armed forces - you here to help. Other wise he is in for a surprise at 18.

He'll wish he'd just gone to college after that shit.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 12:21:32 AM EDT
[#50]
31 overall, no studying here.

IIRC:

36 Reading Comprehension
34 English
31 Science and Reasoning
21 Math

I had a bit of an outlier...

Basically, If you do well on tests, you should be fine for the ACT.  Knowing what the question is asking is equally important to knowing the answer.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top