Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2001 10:13:59 PM EDT
I received this in an email from a person I know but he was forwarding it on. Could anyone tell me if this is real or is it one of the email pranks that makes you remove important stuff of your computer.

Qoute
"Good morning,

There is a good chance that you may have the following virus on your computer.  Please follow the steps below, it is very easy.  If you need help, let me know and we'll come and help you.
Thanks for the help

-Click on "Start"
-Choose "Search" or "Find"
-Choose "For Files or Folders..."
-Name of file to search for:  SULFNBK.EXE
-Set to Look In:  Local Hard Drive (C:)
-Select "Find" or Search Now"

If you find this file, DO NOT OPEN IT!  Select it by right clicking it with your mouse and DELETE it.  Go to your RECYCLE BIN and permanently delete it from there."

Link Posted: 12/16/2001 10:31:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen this one before, and from what I recall, EVERY windows based machine has the SULFNBK folder.

It is a vital part of running some other program I believe, but then again I'm no 'puter whiz either. (I'm sure that's painfully obvious!)

If you're not sure you can go to [url] www.symantec.com [/url] and see if it's a hoax or not.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 10:39:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, it's a hoax. Don't delete the file.

NMSight
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 9:39:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Deleting this file will screw up your system.  It's suposed to be there.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 9:59:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you all for the info, I knew there was some kind of hoax going around but I was not sure if this was the one.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 10:28:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 10:30:30 AM EDT
[#6]
It's a hoax.

[url]http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/sulfnbk.exe.warning.html[/url]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 11:18:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Victim of said hoax speaking.  If the file is in the c:/Windows/Command folder in Win 98, no problem.  According to Symantec, this file restores long filenames.  No biggie if you delete it, e-mail me and I'll send you a copy to drop into the above folder.

shooter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top