Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2008 11:19:00 AM EDT
The backround:  I have lived in my home since 2001.  I have one of the largest if not the largest lot in the subdivision.  It is a mere .47 acre lot, and roughly half of that is wooded, unused area with a sewage line easement.  

My "nice" part of my backyard is fenced.  Beyond the fence, there is the wooded section, with a small shallow stream at the back end of the lot.  A number of homes butt up against this unused land.  I typically open the back gate and dump yard waste back there, and don't venture much farther for fear of being consumed by mosquitos.

About two months ago I opened my back gate and found that more than half of my very huge yardwaste pile was missing.  I was shocked, yet on the other hand quite happy.  Someone actually did me a favor by stealing it, so I just walked around a bit and decided to let sleeping dogs lie.  At that point I noticed a neighbor whose debris was overflowing his backyard.  He had a sizeable pile on my land, but I was just going to let it go.  

Fast forward to today.  A pretty good storm rolled through around 2:30 AM.  My neighbor's fence blew down.  I was investigating any potential damage to my property, and went out the back gate.  I found a tire, PVC pipe, a hardhat, an old drill of some sort, some old lumber scraps.... I got pretty pissed off.  Little piles of this shit are showing up all over the place suddenly.  

I dug through some old papers and came up with a property survey to double check myself.  Sure enough, what I believe to be my property is mine.  I walked the lot and made note of all the crap on my land.  

After my fact gathering, I strolled down the street, around the corner, and attempted to make contact with the neighbor.  Nobody answered the door.  I rang the bell three times, and knocked.  Four cars in the driveway, and nobody is home.

So I came home and typed up a letter:

11/15/2008

To whom it may concern:

The property behind your residence has been accumulating yard waste, construction debris, and other various trash and waste.  This letter is in request that any waste placed there by the owners or tenants of this property be removed immediately.  This is also a request to cease and desist the dumping of waste upon this land.  

If there are any questions or concerns please contact me at *phone number*

I signed it, folded it neatly, and placed it in a business letter envelope.  I walked back over and there was another car in the driveway, but no answer again.  I taped the note to the inside of the front storm door.  

I hardly got home and the phone rang.  A rather agitated and confused man confirmed that I had indeed left the note on his door after failing to reach him face to face.  

Apparently the land in question is "nobody's property" and he had lived there for 14 years.  Everyone's property line only extends one foot beyond their fence.  

I politely countered with facts, and assured him that I was indeed going in to this with the best intentions.  I was tolerant of leaves and branches, but I would not accept tires, pvc, and contruction debris on my land.  I explained the boundaries of my land and how it was the exception in the subdivision with the lot being larger than most.  

He agreed to have the area cleaned up within a week and was happy that I was understanding and simply wished the debris gone.  I reassured him I did not have any intention of malice or ill will, and we ended our conversation amicably.  

No weapons were drawn.  No shots fired.  No dogs were harmed.  (he has at least two, which probably explains his relief at the lack of LEO involvement)

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 11:25:20 AM EDT
[#1]
What? No adrenaline dumps, no drawing down, no blading at a 45, no tasers, no MS Paint.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 11:28:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I know... kinda lame isn't it?  Believe it or not, it is still possible to accomplish things without drama.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 11:28:57 AM EDT
[#3]
FAIL! No dramatics or threats of future ASSHattery.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#4]
wait so he cleaned it up or didnt? or has promised too clean it up but hasnt yet?
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 11:30:59 AM EDT
[#5]
This thread is a huge letdown.

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 11:32:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Time to start armoring the bulldozer.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 11:59:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
wait so he cleaned it up or didnt? or has promised too clean it up but hasnt yet?

This whole ordeal just took place today.  He said he would have it gone within a week.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#8]
you have mad ms paint skillz, fo shizzle
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:45:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Well I checked back today and it appears the smaller piles have been cleaned up and he is working on the big pile behind his fence.  On the other hand the rest of my mulch pile disappeared and there are shovel marks all over and the ground is tore up.

Whatever, he is doing me a favor by "stealing" all my yard waste.  I just want the trash gone.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:18:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
you have mad ms paint skillz, fo shizzle

Ceptin you need to add the property line. Maybe a dashed line.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:33:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Apparently the land in question is "nobody's property" and he had lived there for 14 years. Everyone's property line only extends one foot beyond their fence.

Apparently he also thinks it's perfectly OK to dump trash on "nobody's" land.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top