Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2001 8:45:15 PM EDT
Out here in LA area on leave from Benning...my fancy pants cousin got me a ticket to the pre-screening of "Black Hawk Down".

I was in 2/75 in the late 80's-very familiar with the story/book-knew a bunch of guys who were over there, and I have to say that the movie was GREAT!!!!

Hard to watch in parts because of the realism, but very accurate tactictally and technically. Awesome performances by the guys who played some of the Delta operators, Durant and Eversham.It was very well shot and had some of the Ridley Scott "Gladiator" battle filming techniques.

Overall, I felt that the material was respectfully treated and the true professionalism and dediaction of the Ranger Bn. and Delta was well represented.

My cousin (who was a Surface Warfare Officer-USNA guy) looked over at me at the point when Shugart and Gordon dropped into the crash site, and said, "That REALLY happened??? There are guys who do that shit?"  I'm glad there is a movie to tell the story.

You need to see this movie when it comes out.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 8:59:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the review, Emil! Me and some folks from work are planning an "extended lunch" to see the matinee when it comes out (we are audio/video hardware designers and consider it job-related! [:D])

See ya at the range. Still got my CDs (Hellecasters, Gatton)? I forgot about 'em 'till just now.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 9:07:52 PM EDT
[#2]
yeah, Joe...I've still got 'em

One of the reasons for the realism was that they had a platoon or so of guys from 3rd Bn that helped with the filming.

Fire and maneuver, Fast Roping, terminology...it's all spot on.

My favorite part: when the little birds make their gun runs.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 9:15:04 PM EDT
[#3]
What?  

They didn't turn it into a love story?

What is wrong with them?
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 10:03:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Can you give more detail on the plot developement and characters in depth. Thanks

BTW, it´s Eversmann
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 10:28:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh, man Tuukka!  Buy the book!  This was one of the best war stories ever written!  I just finished it this week.

Also, keep a look out for one of the Dateline specials they have run on this incident.  There have been a couple made, and they are being re-run on Discovery Channel, History Channel, TLC etc... They give a ton of background on Somalia, the buildup of troops and the specific incident surrounding "Blackhawk Down".  During the iterviews they introduce several of the Rangers that were there (Sorry, no D-boys availible).  The two tech advisors on the movie are interviewed.  Very interesting.

Keep and eye out as Somalia is being pegged as the first engagement with Bin Laden's forces.  It turns out he funded, armed and trained much of the Sammy malitia.  Even flew in some of his own mercs to fight the Americans.

MSH441
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 10:46:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 5:03:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Did they show the Skinny gunmen herding civilians in front of them as they closed on the Rangers? The scene I saw last night in the full-length trailer just showed a bunch of gunmen running down the street with AKs and RPGs.

In the book, Bowden mentioned several times that the Skinnies used civilians as mass shields whenever they would move to contact.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 6:37:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What?  

They didn't turn it into a love story?

What is wrong with them?
View Quote

LMAO!!!  HA HA HA! Ala Pearl Harbor? or Enemy At The Gates?  LMAO!!! [:D]

-inuhbadnayburhoodtryingtotypeafifteenpagepaperinlessthansevenhoursbeforeafinalexamthismorningwhilehighonNoDoz
View Quote

I hated Pearl Harbor.......that said, Enemy at the gates-the book, did include the story of Vasilli's girl friend.  They did change the ending though, in the movie.  In the book, he thinks she's dead, moves on to other women, she spends the rest of her days heartbroken, because once he finds out she is still alive, he does nothing.  Thought it was a better ending than the movie.  And, it's supposed to be a true story.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 8:19:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Here is the word, it comes from a Marine that was there...he walked  out of the trailer, his motherr had been contacted by other mothers of Marines that were there. THey wanted to stop it from being released.
It was said it distorted and glamorized something that still hurts them verry bad. I doubt if there is any of the cowardice of the UN troops and our pathetic leader at the time.
On the basis of how he was, I wiull not go or see any of the movie!
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 9:18:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Oh, man Tuukka!  Buy the book!  This was one of the best war stories ever written!  I just finished it this week.

Also, keep a look out for one of the Dateline specials they have run on this incident.  There have been a couple made, and they are being re-run on Discovery Channel, History Channel, TLC etc... They give a ton of background on Somalia, the buildup of troops and the specific incident surrounding "Blackhawk Down".  During the iterviews they introduce several of the Rangers that were there (Sorry, no D-boys availible).  The two tech advisors on the movie are interviewed.  Very interesting.

Keep and eye out as Somalia is being pegged as the first engagement with Bin Laden's forces.  It turns out he funded, armed and trained much of the Sammy malitia.  Even flew in some of his own mercs to fight the Americans.

MSH441
View Quote

I first read the book a long time ago and have been frequenting a board where actual TFR vets posts, so im up to date, just wanted to know more about what was included in the movie.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 9:20:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Here is the word, it comes from a Marine that was there...he walked  out of the trailer, his motherr had been contacted by other mothers of Marines that were there. THey wanted to stop it from being released.
It was said it distorted and glamorized something that still hurts them verry bad. I doubt if there is any of the cowardice of the UN troops and our pathetic leader at the time.
View Quote

Well, this is news to me, since every soldier, Marine, airman and family member on the Cinemayhem Blackhawk Down forum are looking forward to the movie, this includes many TFR vets.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 9:54:12 AM EDT
[#12]
The Wind,

I was not there, and do not claim to be an authority on the battle, but the story seemed to follow the book fairly accurately. I did not see a lot of representation of the other services besides the 75th, Delta, and 160th SOAR, but the book centered mainly on the combatants during the mission of 3 OCT. Perhaps you could be a little more detailed about his objections??? That could shed some light.

Based on my coversations with some of the guys in 3/75 who were there, it must have been a terrible place to be-an absolute meat grinder. I have total respect for all who served there, and I can understand how a movie depicting the events might be difficult to bear.

The treatment of the C.O.B. (civialian on the battlefield) issue was slightly dealt with. At one point a Somali women approaches a group of Rangers-apparently unarmed. She then pulls a weapon from beneath her robes and is dumped by a SAW gunner. The scenes of masses of people running down the street towards the outnumbered troops, and of the final scene as the guys complete the "Mogadishu Mile" with the burning cars, tires, and a horde of people in the background was very affecting.

There are some reviews already posted on some of the sites. I would recommend checking those out as they get into plot development and characters.

I don't think the movie glamorized the events. Everyone in the screening room (I think I was the only one in the military, past or present) was taken aback and shocked at the brutality and unbelievable odds those guys were up against. The guys were certainly portrayed as heroic, but who here would argue that point?

Wait until you can see the movie: check out the scene where Shugart and Gordon secure Durant's bird, fight to the end, are killed and dragged out, and tell me if was glamorized.

I won't say I enjoyed the movie, but as a former member of the 75th, I'm glad the story is being told in a way that honors those that died there.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 10:00:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hmmm...from what I read, the whole Blackhawk Down story was an Army gig...Rangers, SF, Delta...a few SEALs from the Navy but I don't recall reading much about a big Marine involvement in the streetfight detailed in the book.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 10:05:50 AM EDT
[#14]
He was a Marine and says he was there, I will take your information underadvisement, I would like to hear from those that have been there and were Marines?
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 10:20:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

There were [b]NO[/b] Marines that participated in the Battle of the Black Sea Oct 3-4.

Marines were in Mog, but they didn't fight with the Rangers/SF during that battle.  Sounds to me like your source is FOS to me.

-SARguy
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 10:42:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 10:50:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Do me a favor, SARguy, fill me in on the Marine role there, the hair on the back of my neck is tingling, if this guy is telling stories I want to know brfore he does some damage. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 11:16:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There were [b]NO[/b] Marines that participated in the Battle of the Black Sea Oct 3-4.

Marines were in Mog, but they didn't fight with the Rangers/SF during that battle.  Sounds to me like your source is FOS to me.

-SARguy
View Quote

This is the word I got from Marine friends of mine that were in Mog. This fight was an Army show all the way, except for the foreign tank and APC drivers that finally showed up to help --sometimes with Rangers holding M9s to the drivers' heads to keep them moving toward the battle.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 11:53:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 12:09:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Marine? The battle involved ARMY Rangers, Delta Force and some SEALs.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 11:59:51 PM EDT
[#21]
<>

Don't forget the Air Force command and control guy.  If I remember, he seems to make some good things happen comms-wise when everything is going to hell.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top