Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2008 11:17:27 PM EDT
This has dominated the local news but I searched a bit and did not see a thread here

6 people supposedly involved in a murder  local police think the DA's/sheriff's theory is bullshit but go along anyway

threatened and cohered in interrogation to admit shit that never happened to save them selves from death

video turned on and off through interrogation

police had the right guy back in 85  but lab fucks up the blood tests real killer died in 1992
same lab in OK that has fucked up numerous cases back in the same time period

new tests  confirm the right guy this year

supposedly guy has NO recourse against the state nor do the others that all served similar terms

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2008/11/09/news/local/doc49161feed92eb566142942.txt
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 11:23:23 PM EDT
[#1]
He has recourse against the State.

Cruel and unusual punishment is prohibited in the Bill of Rights.

Innocent people being punished is cruel and unusual, thus gets Federal District Court authority to proceed.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 2:26:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
He has recourse against the State.

Cruel and unusual punishment is prohibited in the Bill of Rights.

Innocent people being punished is cruel and unusual, thus gets Federal District Court authority to proceed.

He does have a remedy under federal law, but it is not based on the 8th Amendment.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 2:29:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I think you meant "coerced", and IIRC the state
will give him $10,000 a year for the time he served
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:11:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Reminds me of that scene in the remake of Cape Fear where Nick Nolte tries to buy off Robert DeNiro's character.  

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 6:31:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 6:44:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 7:09:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like the Innocence Project has a place to check out if they're ever able to finish in Dallas.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 7:15:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't understand how you get five people to concot the same story.

where there's a will there's a way.

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 7:28:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Do not admit to anything you didn't do , ever.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 7:55:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What’s the first thing an innocent man wants for dinner when he gets out of prison?

That was an easy decision for Joseph White: fried green tomatoes and chicken livers.

Yep, he's from Alabama. Good eating.

I imagine it's not that hard when the interrogators don't have to tell the truth, the suspects are fed pertinent details, and only have to fill in the blanks, especially when you take into account that people's recollections always differ regarding the same event, and so the details don't have to all match up exactly.

First, you interrogate them all separately.  Then, start with maybe something like:  "We know you 5 people did this.  We think XXXX pulled the trigger.  Your friend says YOU just watched the door.  We don't think you pulled the trigger.  Now confess what you did, and we won't seek the death penalty."

Then they go to the next guy and say "YYYY already admitted to watching the door.  He also says YOU were the one that did <fill in the blank>" and so on down the line until everybody's story matches up for the most part.  Then they talk to the last guy... "all of your friends have already sold you out.  They all said YOU pulled the trigger.  Now if you don't want a needle in your arm, you'd better confess what you did."

And everybody has now confessed to taking part in a crime none of them had anything to do with in order to avoid being executed.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 8:04:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What’s the first thing an innocent man wants for dinner when he gets out of prison?

That was an easy decision for Joseph White: fried green tomatoes and chicken livers.

pretty damn easy - you just threaten to take their liberty...happens all the time whether we can admit it or not.

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 8:12:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 8:21:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I imagine it's not that hard when the interrogators don't have to tell the truth, the suspects are fed pertinent details, and only have to fill in the blanks, especially when you take into account that people's recollections always differ regarding the same event, and so the details don't have to all match up exactly.

First, you interrogate them all separately.  Then, start with maybe something like:  "We know you 5 people did this.  We think XXXX pulled the trigger.  Your friend says YOU just watched the door.  We don't think you pulled the trigger.  Now confess what you did, and we won't seek the death penalty."

Then they go to the next guy and say "YYYY already admitted to watching the door.  He also says YOU were the one that did <fill in the blank>" and so on down the line until everybody's story matches up for the most part.  Then they talk to the last guy... "all of your friends have already sold you out.  They all said YOU pulled the trigger.  Now if you don't want a needle in your arm, you'd better confess what you did."

And everybody has now confessed to taking part in a crime none of them had anything to do with in order to avoid being executed.

Getting five people to false confess to a capital crime is almost impossible. Let alone stand up to a jury trial.

But apparently still possible.  A large number of people out there will ultimately do what they have to do to save their own lives, and sometimes LEOs take advantage of that.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 8:24:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

minus taxes im sure.

lol.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 8:31:04 AM EDT
[#15]
It's a trick called confabulation.  You take a person who saw A and C but missed B.  As pressure is applied to them they will concoct how B should have been and in most people will make up the almost same logical story.  Then the interrogator asks exactly what they want and you suddenly have 5 usable stories.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 8:35:38 AM EDT
[#16]
And the truth shall set you free.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 8:58:11 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

It's a trick called confabulation.  You take a person who saw A and C but missed B.  As pressure is applied to them they will concoct how B should have been and in most people will make up the almost same logical story.  Then the interrogator asks exactly what they want and you suddenly have 5 usable stories.
And it's not even a conscious all of the time. See "recovered memories".

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
IIRC the state will give him $10,000 a year for the time he served

minus taxes im sure.

lol.

I dunno, generally awards of that type are tax-free
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:13:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd expect a lot more than 10K a year.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:17:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'd expect a lot more than 10K a year.

I've heard of it happening before, the ones I heard about all got that amount
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I would want something my Mom cooked for me.

Unfortunately, she's 73 now and in 19 years she won't be cooking much of anything.

Someone would pay for that.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd want 100 mil a for every year I was locked up, or Id be spending my 10k they gave me on Guns/armor/ammo.... Maybe get a loan and buy some plates of steel and a bulldozer
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#23]
It is because of shit like this that reminds me why I am against the STATE executing people.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:33:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would want something my Mom cooked for me.

Unfortunately, she's 73 now and in 19 years she won't be cooking much of anything.

Someone would pay for that.

In my case it would be someones blood, I think Id take the 19 years thing somewhat personal.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It is because of shit like this that reminds me why I am against the STATE executing people.

This!!
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

where there's a will there's a way.

One possible way:

Tip of night-stick rammed into your kidneys over and over will just about get you to say anything and won't show up on camera.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:53:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!!

As long as you are willing to make an exception for those caught in the act.....

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
But apparently still possible.  A large number of people out there will ultimately do what they have to do to save their own lives, and sometimes LEOs take advantage of that.

How dare you.
Isolated incident

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!!

As long as you are willing to make an exception for those caught in the act.....

Because certainly nobody would lie under oath or encourage others to do so.  Especially not the protected class.

/// sarcasm.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 5:32:56 PM EDT
[#29]
yeah if that happened to me id definetely be violating the coc.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 5:41:44 PM EDT
[#30]
$10k per year is not sufficient compensation for time wrongly served. Should be $50k per year at the least.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 10:00:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

yep coerced not sure wtf happened with spell check there

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 9:11:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:22:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
$10k per year is not sufficient compensation for time wrongly served. Should be $50k per year at the least.

And it should come from the pockets of the leo's and other liars lawyers who set him up.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!!

Time and scene of the crime, preferably at the hands of the intended victim.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#35]

Then the gloves should come off –– wrongful prosecution, wrongful imprisonment, throw the book.  Actual damages should be the wage they were earning at the time of the arrest, for every hour they were wrongfully imprisoned.  Punitive damages of a million per year on top of that.

What really should happen is that everyone involved should serve the same amount of time in prison these innocent people served.  Everyone.  Cops, prosecutor, crime lab tech, judge, everyone.  No excuse for this.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#36]

Getting five people to false confess to a capital crime is almost impossible. Let alone stand up to a jury trial.

the cornbread mafia of se kaintuck disagrees with you in practice, AND in theory my friend.

With a legitimate threat against that which you most care for i'll get you to confess to ass raping rainbow bright and my little pony while forging false bank statements regarding the sale of clean air to dead people.....

and if you are smart, you'll do it, or see that which you love destroyed while a low level fall guy is burned for the crime.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:55:00 PM EDT
[#37]
There is one esay way to avoid this.

"LAWYER".

That one word will stop the cleverest, trickiest interrogation known to man, or toss the results out of court later.

If you are ever in an adversarial encounter with the police, that word is the only one that should cross your lips.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:45:48 PM EDT
[#38]
I still say that I've heard of at least three people awarded $10,000 per year

but, when I was looking for something to back that up I found this article

25 states compensate the wrongfully convicted
The Associated Press
http://www.statesman.com/news/content/gen/ap/Exonerated_Inmates_States.html
Twenty-five states and the District of Columbia have laws that provide compensation for the wrongfully convicted:

_ Alabama: $50,000 minimum per year of wrongful incarceration

_ California: $100 maximum per day

_ Connecticut: No prescribed amount or limit

_ District of Columbia: No prescribed amount or limit

_ Florida: $50,000 per year, up to $2 million

_ Illinois: $85,350 for those who served up to 5 years, $170,000 for 5 to 14 years and $199,150 for more than 14 years

_ Iowa: $50 per day, up to $25,000 a year

_ Louisiana: $15,000 per year, with a $150,000 limit

_ Maine: $300,000 limit

_ Maryland: No prescribed amount or limit

_ Massachusetts: $500,000 limit

_ Missouri: $50 per day

_ Montana: Money for education only

_ New Hampshire: $20,000 limit

_ New Jersey: Twice the annual income in year prior to incarceration or $20,000 per year, whichever is greater

_ New York: No prescribed amount or limit

_ North Carolina: $50,000 per year, with a $750,000 limit

_ Ohio: $40,330, or other amount decided by state auditor, per year

_ Oklahoma: $175,000 total

_ Tennessee: $1 million total

_ Texas: $50,000 per year; $100,000 per year if on death row

_ Utah: State's average annual wage per year, for up to 15 years of incarceration

_ Vermont: $30,000 to $60,000 per year

_ Virginia: 90 percent of state's per capita personal income per year for up to 20 years

_ West Virginia: No prescribed amount or limit

_ Wisconsin: $25,000 limit

In some states, exonerated inmates must meet specific requirements, such as receiving a government pardon, to be eligible for compensation.

___

Source: The Innocence Project, Florida Legislature, Utah Legislature
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top