Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2001 4:21:21 AM EDT
...given that they are a third world country that has the capability and that they have had their leadership attacked by followers of their arch enemy?

Right now as we speak they are mulling over the idea of going to war with Pakistan for the fourth time in fifty years over Kashmir.

What do you think?

Alex

Link Posted: 12/16/2001 4:42:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 4:52:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Not nuclear.  Not now.
We're seen as Pakistan's close ally at present and the Indians aren't dumb enough to move at this time.
(My unqualified opinion.)
Early, early on after 9/11, the Pak's stated as one of their reasons for helping us was their fear we would destroy their nuclear arsenal.  I'm betting India heard the same message.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 7:59:19 AM EDT
[#3]
India has never started a war with Pakistan, they have always been attacked (invaded)by them, then India counter-attacked and drove them back.  In 1971 ('72?) they captured a lot of Paki territory and were well on the way down the road to Islamabad when the cease-fire was called.  India has a lot of experience dealing with terrorism.  They simply move their army in, sit on the terrorists and eventually they win.  That's what they are doing in Kashmir and eventually the Pakis will run out of suicide terrorists.

GunLvr

Link Posted: 12/16/2001 8:31:10 AM EDT
[#4]
To me this conflict has some religious overtones, I know, but think about it. Pakistan is primarily Muslim and India is primarily Hindu. Interesting things happen when you mix religion and politics together.  Hopefully, those folks won't start a nuclear war, but who knows when you are dealing with some religious fanatics.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 9:18:54 AM EDT
[#5]
The Middle East, India, Pakistan...hot spots to say the least.  It would not surprise me one bit if this is where Armageddon begins...it would also not surprise me if it happens in my lifetime.

btw, religious fanatics exist over here in America also & are not restricted to Islam.  In fact, one can see non-Islamic religious fervor in some of the posts made on this very board.

But to answer your question, I do forsee India becoming a nuclear power.  They must to balance the power struggle between themselves & Pakistan.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 9:26:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I can picture it already........disgruntled 7/11 cashiers from India with nukes......................this is truly a nightmare of unfathomable proportions.........
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#7]
As long as they wait until we are clear of the area.  What got Musharif over his cold feet about helping us was our casually reminding him that we would just go to India for help.  And India was kind enough to offer same.

Now its all turned out well for Musharief, he is now in better control of his country than he was three months ago. He is in a place he could have only dreamed about before 9/11.

But can any of you say that the PEOPLE of Pakistan apart from their despotic government are in any way our friends?
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#8]
They already are nuclear. I don't worry about them. I worry more about a coup in Pakistan and having Islamic fanatics with their finger on the nuclear button.

The next nuke will, I beleive, be dropped by one third world country against another. I hope It won't happen for a long time.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 6:57:03 PM EDT
[#9]
It's possible that the Muslim terrorist attacks against India in the past few months have been orchestrated for the very purpose of putting the US in a difficult spot.  The situation could be analogous to Saddam Hussein's missile attacks on Israel during Desert Shield/Storm.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 7:02:24 PM EDT
[#10]
As American with Indian Heritage, I will say no - Go Nuclear ?, never - Indian's can do it conventionally if they want too.  But why ...why make terro-kaka's live with you ?  Like what is happening to Israel with those Pali-terro's...

Indian will remain a free largest democratic country!  Worry about the Paki Asssw#$ps, make them know that they will starve if they do anything stupid.  This is the way to keep them in control.  They can not last but 2 weeks without American help to borrow!

By the way, Indian's discovered some 25 KG explosives that would have done much more damage in the parliament attack - I guess one of the terro's got shot before he had time to arm it and also from the Cell phone numbers from the dead terro's they were able to tie the connection to PAki's ICI agency.  

And here we are .. saying the Paki's should be able to intercept Bin Ladin .. Yeah .. Right ..
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 7:03:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Korea will go [b]'nook-ya-lurr'[/b] before India does it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Korea will go [b]'nook-ya-lurr'[/b] before India does it.
View Quote

You didnt see the news, India just named Pakistans Intelligance Agency as the party behind the attack on their Congress.

Right now the only thing keeping the lid on here is the LARGE US military presence in the region.  By the time we are gone, tempers will have cooled though.  But if we werent there right now there would be some intense brinkmanship.

Once we are out of the region, we should just let them go at it.  We have no real vested interest in either country and the world needs to see what a nuclear war is like every few decades to remind them.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 8:12:46 PM EDT
[#13]
BTW folks...india already tested a nuclear weapon if i'm not mistaken.  I think india was the first, and pakistan recently tested theirs.  Both countries are already nuclear, and have been.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 8:19:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I would be very surprised to see open warfare between Pakistan and Indian at this point, due to the presence of US forces in Pakistan and around it.
Maybe when we pull out of Afghanistan, but even then I don't see India using nuclear weapons.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 5:23:57 AM EDT
[#15]
gentlemen,
pak and india will squabble for a long time as they have.
the u.s. will keep both happy(i hope)not to make peace between the two but to keep as allies two nuclear power's that border china.
screw what is going on in israel,i think we have washed our hands of that matter and will let the israelies deal with it.
our focus needs to be on china and creating allies that border to the east of china.
i do belive tajikastan will be getting us military aid for their cooperation of recent and the uzbeks will follow.
can china fight a two front war?
doubt it,i hope we will be seting up an alliance that borders east of china,has nukes that can hit anywhere in china and is seperated by a mountainous region that makes it impossible for china to invade by land.
i sure hope them fellas in dc already thought of this
cixi  
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 5:31:26 AM EDT
[#16]
I really don't give a shit which one nukes the other!  Would rather they wait until our people are gone however.

Saw an interesting bit the other day; Pakistani nukes are crude uranium bombs, not plutonium!  Didn't mention whether they were implosion or just "gun" type.  Either way, they are low yield and very dirty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top