Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2001 7:41:13 AM EDT
Paul Harvey wrote this note some time ago, wishing his grandkids could experience these different things in life.  How many of these have you experienced.....

Paul Harvey writes, "We tried so hard to make things better for our kids that we made them worse. For my grandchildren, I'd like better.

I'd really like for them to know about..

1)hand me down clothes
2)homemade ice cream
3)leftover meat loaf sandwiches.
4)I hope you learn humility by being humiliated
5)that you learn honesty by being cheated.
6)I hope you learn to make your own bed
7)and mow the lawn
8)and wash the car.
9)I really hope nobody gives you a brand new car when you are sixteen.
10)see puppies born
11)see your old dog put to sleep.
12)you get a black eye fighting for something you believe in.
13)share a bedroom with your younger brother/sister.
14)draw a line down the middle of the
room
15)walk uphill to school with your friends and 16)and live in a town where you can do it safely.
17)On rainy days when you have to catch a ride, I hope you don't ask your driver to drop you two blocks away so you won't be seen riding with
someone as uncool as your Mom.
18)If you want a slingshot, I hope your Dad teaches you how to make one instead of buying one.
19)I hope you learn to dig in the dirt
20)learn to read books.
21)When you learn to use computers, I hope you also learn to add and subtract in your head.
22)I hope you get teased by your friends when you have your first crush on a boy\girl,
23)and when you talk back to your mother that you learn what ivory soap tastes like.
24) May you skin your knee climbing a mountain,
25)burn your hand on a stove
26) stick your tongue on a frozen flagpole.
27)make time to sit on a porch with your Grandma/Grandpa
28)go fishing with your Uncle.
29)feel sorrow at a funeral
30)feel joy during the holidays.

My score is 24 out of 30.

My children's score is much lower at this time, and I feel sad for that.  I read this and think of the things they need to experience now so they are emotionally stronger as adults.

Just food for thought this Holiday season, low- cal at that.

[beer]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 7:51:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm a fortunate person,I scored 27 out of 30.I missed out on the flag pole thing,never asked to be let out of the car to be cool and missed on the black eye part but I have had bloody knuckles a few times fighting for what I believe in,does that count?
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 7:56:56 AM EDT
[#2]
No mountains or frozen flagpoles in Florida.
If you adjust this on a regional basis,
I got a 100%

Wish I had a #3 right now!
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 7:58:31 AM EDT
[#3]
All I need to know in life, I learned in the Marine Corps! (especially #19) [:)]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 9:25:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Only scored a 20.  That being said, I still think I score higher than most people my age.  (Just turned 22)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top