Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2001 7:44:44 PM EDT
a week ago i came across an article on gunlaws.com written by alan korwin about the so called gun show loop hole. the bill is called S. 890 The Mcain-Lieberman Bill: Gun Show Loophole Closing and Gun Law Enforcement Act of 2001. this bill has little to do with closing some kind of loophole. it is about the federal government taking complete and total control over gun shows period.the web adress is http://www.gunlaws.com/newstuff.htm
this bill that they are proposing is for unprecedented federal control over gun shows nationwide. centralized federal registration of everyperson who attends a gun show in america, whether or not a person makes a purchase,if one is not registered then you will not be permitted into the gun show. possible imprisonment for attending a gun show and failing to give up information required by regulations of the secretary of the treasury.federal collection of data on every person who attends a gun show in america. these are just some of the things put in this bill. read the full text on gun laws.com, one will be surprised.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
a week ago i came across an article on gunlaws.com written by alan korwin about the so called gun show loop hole. the bill is called S. 890 The Mcain-Lieberman Bill: Gun Show Loophole Closing and Gun Law Enforcement Act of 2001. this bill has little to do with closing some kind of loophole. it is about the federal government taking complete and total control over gun shows period.the web adress is [url]www.gunlaws.com/newstuff.htm[/url]
this bill that they are proposing is for unprecedented federal control over gun shows nationwide. centralized federal registration of everyperson who attends a gun show in america, whether or not a person makes a purchase,if one is not registered then you will not be permitted into the gun show. possible imprisonment for attending a gun show and failing to give up information required by regulations of the secretary of the treasury.federal collection of data on every person who attends a gun show in america. these are just some of the things put in this bill. read the full text on gun laws.com, one will be surprised.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 10:39:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup..in reality the so-called "gun show loophole" is really a "Private Transaction Foothold."  They're looking to start a whole brand new process.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 10:50:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Where in the process is this monstrosity?  Who do I call first?  Is it in committee?  Oh, heck, i'll just go look...

During my search I found this ... at the bottom is another one we need to watch, S.767

[url]http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:cUWCDtqTbwE:www.consumerfed.org/senateletter.pdf+senate+bill+890+mccain&hl=en[/url]

Ok, I've looked, and according to the Senate web site, S890 was referred to the Judicial committe on 5/15/2001 after having been read twice.  No further action appears to be taken on it - I'll call my senator-critter's office Monday to find out if they know anything more about it.

And S767 was referred to the Judiciary committee on 4/24/01 of this year after 2 readings.  I'll also inquire about this one.

Hopefully they both are DOA.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 3:11:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, I've looked, and according to the Senate web site, S890 was referred to the Judicial committe on 5/15/2001 after having been read twice.
View Quote

Wow.  Someone read it [b]two[/b] times.  Me, I was just going to get the Cliff's Notes and watch the movie.  Friggin nerds always screw up the curve.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top