Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2001 7:10:54 AM EDT
After 5years and 7 months I am laid off because of cut backs.
I have a few months of pay still to go, but I'm done, I'm toast.  I have to PAY a whole bunch to get out of my apartment contract, and I may lose my truck(payments too high).
I DO have a place I can stay while I get back on my feet(parents house) but that won't be until about a month or so.

I have see other post these aweful messages on the forum but never said a thing because I didn't know what to say.  So to all of the others that has reciently(past 2 years) lost their jobs, I now FEEL for you, for I am now in the sam boat.

Why do all of the larger companies always fire people at or near Christmas???  They know its a time when people generally don't have any money...

PS: I am NOT selling ANY guns!!!!!!!  YET.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 7:15:21 AM EDT
[#1]
i'm sorry to hear this news bishop. i wish you good hunting in your job search.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 7:16:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Why do all of the larger companies always fire people at or near Christmas???  They know its a time when people generally don't have any money...
BISHOP
View Quote

Join the club, Bishop.  I got the ax in October.  They do it at or near Christmas because that's the end of their fiscal year, or quarter, or whatever.  They're considering their fiscal reports, not their people.  Sorry for your problems.  Try to have a Merry Christmas anyway.  Something better will come along, I know it!  
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 7:18:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah that sucks man, Im sad to hear about it. I was let go in June and have done side work as a welder here and there to keep ends meet along with letting go of a couple of guns (lost a AR and am selling my Poly Underfolder today) I got hired yesterday, but won't see anything for a while 2 wk pay periods.

Good luck man.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 7:19:00 AM EDT
[#4]
BISHOP, my sympathies.

If it helps, it's not to late to return some of the presents you've bought or to ask for cash gifts for Christmas.z

Link Posted: 12/14/2001 7:23:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 7:26:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Ultra uncool megabummer, Bishop.

Does NH have unemployment insurance, and if so are you qualified to collect?  If so, please don't hesitate to apply.  It's not a handout.  You and your employer have been paying the premiums during your employment.

The sooner you get your application in the sooner your mad money checks will start arriving.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 7:26:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Best of luck to you. My brother was recently laid off, so I pretty much know how you're feeling right now. Here's hoping you win the lotto![beer] Seriously, take care...
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 7:29:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Bishop, you might get some leads on a new job if you tell us a little about what you'd like to do.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 7:31:02 AM EDT
[#9]
The question isn't why they do it near Christmas. The question is why did they stick Christmas in the time-frame of normal cutbacks at the end of the year. Jesus was actually born at another time of the year. I think that they just put Christmas at this time of the year for all the people losing their jobs. That way they could be with their loved ones and reminded of what is really important in life. Hey, just another conspiracy theory [:D]

But more seriously, sorry to hear about the whole thing. I got caught up in one back in 91. It really sucks at first but you just gotta get right back out there and find something. The trick is making the transition from "worker bee' to "job hunter" ASAP. Accept the situation and get to work looking. You'll probably find something better in the long run anyway. Most people do. Good luck on the hunt.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 7:31:50 AM EDT
[#10]
In this last year Ive lost 3jobs a wife(good Thing)2dogs a bird,no sh!t.Keep your chin up something better will come your way.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 7:33:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Those nazi bastards.  Sorry to hear the news.  The big companies don't lose sleep at night putting the screws to their employees.  The cool thing about leaving a job is that, on your last day, you are entitled to make a scene of some kind.  Be inventive...use your imagination.  Think of the creative alternative uses for offcice equipment.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 7:43:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Bishop,

Best of luck in finding another quality job soon. My father got laid-off earlier this year - the first time in my life he didn't have at least one full time job. He's since been hired at another place of employment. Hope you "get back on your feet" quickly.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 7:49:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 7:57:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Sorry to hear it Bishop.  I think most of us have been there at least once.  

The only thing I can advise is to not refer to what happened to you as "being fired."  You were laid off - due to no fault of your own.  That's an important difference when applying for unemployment insurance (yes, it is an insurance policy, don't feel bad for claiming it) and looking for other jobs ("why did you leave your last job?").  Good Luck!

Black Fox
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 7:58:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Hang in Bishop, things will change.
When I returned from Nam in 68 the US I could not find a perminate job. Took till 1982 to finally work into a position that did not face cutbacks.
Relax this Holiday season,

[8D]
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 8:07:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
In this last year Ive lost 3jobs a wife(good Thing)2dogs a bird,no sh!t.Keep your chin up something better will come your way.
View Quote

If nothing else, you've got a good head start on a promising career as a country singer.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 8:10:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 8:19:11 AM EDT
[#18]
By the way, if anyone in Washington or Oregon is looking for work, the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway is looking for conductor trainees. If anyone wants more info just ask me here or check out [url]http://www.bnsf.com/jobs/crft//ct36.html?index=craft__field__operations.html[/url]. But you'd better hurry up if you're interested, the bulletin closes in two days.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 8:34:35 AM EDT
[#19]
That really blows. You're like one of my favorite board members and I hate when bad things happen to good people. When I got canned five years ago from the company of my dreams (so I thought) I thought it was nowhere but down from there. Well before you know it I now really have the best job I could ever hope for. So you never know how things will turn out.
Good Luck,
Mark
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 8:45:23 AM EDT
[#20]
The first time I was "seperated" from work I freaked over the bills and all the other s**T that followed.It was a struggle for a while ate lots of beans an tortillas but like you I had a place to dig in with a pot to piss in.
Bottom line for me is I became a stronger person
learned what really matters in life(f*** the Boat Car payment stuff.a charge off was'nt that bad(if you can't pay cash you don't "need" it)and am now gainfully employed again with zero bills.the last five years have been a challenge but I always refused to give in........
oh and here's the reason I am here typing out this 'speil I am on a three work day suspension with no pay for telling a jr. management twit what I thought about our new uniforms at work.must of been the (these look like clown suits!)remark.this is going to be a nice five day weekend........Scouts Out! an good luck
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 9:02:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Bishop:

I feel your pain, I've been off since August after 16 years four months with the same company.

Take a week off, then start your new job....Seeking gainful employment.

Might post your profession here, someone might know of something.  Yep, networking is important.

Keep us informed

SRM
Unemployed geologist/engineer
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 9:02:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 9:03:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 9:15:32 AM EDT
[#24]
That sucks to hear.  Try living in Houston right about now with the Enron fiasco!

I hope you find something soon!!!

Don't sell those guns...
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 9:20:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Bishop,

That Sux.

Been there dude Continental cut me in 99.

My bride just got it in November....

This too shall pass..

Good luck on the job market.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 9:23:25 AM EDT
[#26]
BISHOP,

I hope you stole something good to bolster your severence from the bastards.  I hate the sniveling, poor-planning corporations of America.  But let's face it, government regulation has caused most of this.  The cost of being in business is too high anymore.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 9:37:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
After 5years and 7 months I am laid off because of cut backs.
I have a few months of pay still to go, but I'm done, I'm toast.  I have to PAY a whole bunch to get out of my apartment contract, and I may lose my truck(payments too high).
I DO have a place I can stay while I get back on my feet(parents house) but that won't be until about a month or so.

I have see other post these aweful messages on the forum but never said a thing because I didn't know what to say.  So to all of the others that has reciently(past 2 years) lost their jobs, I now FEEL for you, for I am now in the sam boat.

PS: I am NOT selling ANY guns!!!!!!!  YET.

BISHOP
View Quote

Sorry to hear you got laid off.  What do you do for a living?
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 9:38:36 AM EDT
[#28]
BISHOP hate to hear that, go get that unemployment it's your money anyway.  Good luck to you.

The cost of being in business is too high anymore.  trickshot
View Quote

Amen brother.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 10:02:23 AM EDT
[#29]
I know exactly how you feel - after 2 years with the company I was let go yesterday as well - I had planned to take my first paid vacation in 17 years (last time was my honeymoon) - guess I can't now 'cause I'm starting a new job - "Job Hunter" (and my company wasn't a big 'un)

Great, Just what I need over the holidays... Ah, well, it's probably just as well, with the stock at $0.08/share, they probably aren't long for this world...

For me it's been a crapper of a year (emotionally), mom passed away (last parent), got stuck on a cummy project at work and then when that was "done" was told I wasn't needed anymore... sheesh.

I really understand what you're going through - but I'm going to go make some lemonaid ... I think I'll go back to contract work and make twice what I was making [:)]

To all of us that are unemployed at this time of year, Happy Holidays and may you find the new year bring you the job you are looking for.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 10:10:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The cool thing about leaving a job is that, on your last day, you are entitled to make a scene of some kind
View Quote

Like in [i][b]Joe Versus the Volcano[/i][/b]???

Sorry for yur loss BISHOP.  This too shall pass.  You'll get a better job, for sure.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 10:20:08 AM EDT
[#31]
This will probably burn two AR15.com members, but I've survived two rounds of deep layoffs. Plus, I received 1K in options this month.

But either way, layoffs are a depressing experience as I was laid while working to attend college. I hope a door opens to lead you on to bigger and better opportunities, Bishop.

What burned me is the puc'n demos we have in Caliban. You would think they would strengthen worker rights here but noooo. Caliban still has one of the highest tax rates and lowest unemployment compensation. Additionally, these demos have not reinstated the right to be rehired back before the employer opens the position to anyone.

If you work for a gobal corporation as I do, you will recognize that many european countries have significant worker protection for layoffs. Germany, for example, it is very costly to lay anyone off there. Consequently, we americas take the brunt of it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 10:33:19 AM EDT
[#32]
The work that I was doing is electrical/mechanical.  I fixed Postage Machines.
I could be trained to fix copiers, and pother machines.  I have a really great mind when it comes to mechanics.

I'm not sure if I can get Unemployment, because I'll be soon leaving the state, moving back to Maine.  I'll try anyway.  I am owed it.  I PAY enough in taxes.

Getting a new job might not be too hard, I have some frineds in Maine, and I could probably work at Tambrands (they make Tampons) fixing the machines, but that isn't a career.

Thanks for the support guys.  
Some of you have or had it worst tham me, and even though it is wrong to think it, I feel better because of it.  Sorry.

AS for stealing some things...I have some things that I have aquired over the years, that I might be able to sell on Ebay. But I stole nothing!!!  I was a good little worker...

BISHOP
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Was laid off from Rhythms in August, they went chap 11 and the big wigs took millions in severance pay and bonuses everybody else just got one months severance. Screwed!!!

But I found a better job a month later.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 11:06:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I hope you stole something good to bolster your severence from the bastards.
View Quote

Just a note on "stealing" from your employer -

If you already got a layoff notice and you haven't already stolen everything you wanted, it's too late to start!!!  You should've begun on your very first day!!!

Now, when I say "stealing" I don't mean that you should be prying open the petty cash box or trying to stuff your trunk full computers and copy machines.  I'm talking about documentation, client lists, and other proprietary data.  Things that will be far more valuable than money or hardware on your next job.

In Field Service they call you into the office for some type of meeting, then give you the bad news while someone goes out in the parking lot and cleans out your company car.  That way you can't take any service manuals, schematics, customer contact, or service contract info with you to a competitor or third party service company. Even with an office job you won't be able to take your Rolodex with you or get all the files you want off the hard drive of your computer before you're shown the door.

So what you need to do is start making copies of everything you want TODAY!!!  Every time you get a new contract, sales proposal, technical sheet, supplier list, price schedule, or phone list make a copy and take it home with you.  Software?  Burn a CD copy and take it home.  Rolodex?  Always write out 2 cards.  Business cards?  Ask for another one.

A good friend of mine worked for a particularly paranoid company that used to keep a very close eye on their employees and it was almost impossible to get anything out without raising eyebrows.  But they didn't worry that much about stuff coming in.  So he bought a cheap flatbed scanner and CD-RW and had it shipped to work where the receiving dept. dutifully dropped off the boxes at his cubical.  The little Canon USB flatbed got stuck behind some books on his shelf and no one noticed it, and the CD-RW replaced his CD-ROM in his company desktop.  He would stay after 5:00pm and scan everything he could get his hands on and burn it on a CD.  After that he would hide the scanner and leave empty handed past the minimum wage security team.  The next day during the lunch rush he'd walk out with the CD stuffed down his pants with the rest of the crowd.  After 12 years of good service (and 2 months after he started making his "back-ups") they laid him off by coming to his cubical on Friday afternoon with a final paycheck and security to make sure he didn't take anything with him.  In the lobby he was patted down, briefcase searched, and he had to empty his pockets.  He cooperated fully and was on his way.

Even though he left $100 worth of his own hardware behind, his new employer so pleased with his experience and knowledge of the competition that he offered him just about double what his last job was paying him.

So that's what I do - the very first day on a new job I start looking to see what's valuable, sensitive, or proprietary and begin gathering all that data up and storing it somewhere the company can't get to it and has no idea that it even exists!!  I guarantee that it will pay off bigtime when you leave that job.

Now some of you may think that this is no way to approach a new job, with the attitude that it's only temporary and may end someday.  But so far every job I've had has ended and I've been 100% right!!

It pays to plan ahead!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 11:43:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Good luck, BISHOP.
I got axed 12/7/01---5yrs8mos.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 12:24:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 8:45:15 PM EDT
[#37]
BISHOP, sorry to hear about it. I was layed off in mid-July and haven't even started looking for work yet. Maybe when the money gets low.

I know a little about postage meters. Did you work with Pitney, Neopost, or Hassler meters?
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 2:46:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Sorry Bishop, X-mas is a terrible time for this to happen.  Hang in there and you will be working again soon.

Link Posted: 12/15/2001 2:58:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Sorry to hear that BISHOP, I wish you well and good luck.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 7:06:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm not sure if I can get Unemployment, because I'll be soon leaving the state, moving back to Maine.  I'll try anyway.  I am owed it.  I PAY enough in taxes.BISHOP
View Quote

It doesn't matter if you move to another state.  You can still collect your unemployment.  AND, you don't have to settle for a crappy job while you're collecting it.  As long as you don't turn down a job with comparable pay to what you were doing when you got laid off, it won't jeopardize your unemployment benefits.  They'll tell you all that when you go to sign up.  Do it now.  In a couple of weeks you'll have a check coming in every week, and you'll feel better.  Have a Merry Christmas, Bishop, and don't worry too much.  You'll find a better job after the first of the year.  For now, just kick back and enjoy the vacation!  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 7:17:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Hey, don't sweat it! I was laid off 7 mos ago, unemployment ran out and now my wife is pregnant and I don't have any insurance. We haven't sold anything. We still have our house, we still have our cars, and I still have my guns. You just have to live within your means. Our house was based on what my wife was making when she was working (about 1/2 of my salary) and our autos are cheap. We live in a great middle class neighborhood too. It's OK something will come through.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 7:22:44 AM EDT
[#42]
 Bishop-
 Maybe look for an outfit that repairs commercial appliances, or a security/alarm outfit.  I was in HVAC for 20 yrs, and believe me, and good electrical troubleshooter was worth every nickel, and then some.
 Avoid the manufacturing environment, five more years and we won't have a factory job anywhere in the US.
 I haven't had a full-time job since July 99.  Layoffs suck, and the big mismanaged corporations really suck.  Hang in, maybe try biomedical equipment repair?  Worth a look...
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 9:26:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Same here got it back in November happy thanksgiving happy birthday your laid off have a good day no sign of any layoff no warning just bought a new truck also a few months before
but something will change good luck
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 9:38:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Thanks guys, the more I read these, the more I realize that its not going to be as bad as I keep thinking it will be.....

mattja, I used to work for Pitney Bowes...

BISHOP
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 10:02:22 AM EDT
[#45]
I have been laid off from different employers, whom I have been working for long periods of time, 3 times in my life. One employer, I worked for 9 years and was laid off. That is thw worst when you think you found a comfortable and secure job and they let you go.
Needless to say, I know the sickening feeling when it happens. I just kept strong, looked for a new job and thankfully always found another job. Not always a job I want, but you can't be too choosy when you have to pay those bills.

Good luck BISHOP, on your search for employment.

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 11:01:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Hey Bishop, best wishes! Hopefully I'll see you at the Hiram Maxim shoot this summer or at Manchester. Hang in there. I'm sure you will land on your feet.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 11:06:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Sorry BISHOP! I do hope that you will find something soon.

In the meantime, make the best of your free time to come up with RKBA pics like the Glock in the skeleton's hand.(keeps your mind off your worries)

Take care and good luck!
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 12:20:50 PM EDT
[#48]
BISHOP
Sorry for your misfortune.  It's a difficult time but this too shall pass.  I was layed off 3 years ago but for the past year have been working for a great company with less stress and nearly twice the pay.

My suggestions:  Don't panic.  Don't get comfortable being unemployed, but do get on unemployment (you ex-employer pays the unemployment insurance.  If they have excessive claims, their rates go up).  Call the state you are moving to, but it should be no problem getting unemployment whereever you are.

WORK at getting a new job (watch ads, write letters, use your contacts, call, follow-up), contact local unemployment office (they have some very good jobs).  Act calm and confident at interviews.  Do not act desperate -- people can sense fear.  Take advantage of opportunities; maybe starting at a good company at a lower level than you would ordinarily take.  

Unlike the RAT, I DO NOT condone spying on a company or stealing their trade secrets.  Many employers have employment contracts against that and would be very happy to prosecute.  Harboring blame will only hinder your opportunity.  Forget it and move on.  Learn what you can whereever you can to improve your qualifications.  Make friends, not enemies.

Count your blessings, not your problems.  You have friends and family that can help.  Presumably you are also young and healthy.  Without doubt, your financial recovery will be swift and sure.

Good luck.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top