Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2001 2:58:29 AM EDT
He was my Australian shepherd.  Everyday we walk up the sidewalk along the golf course to south mountian park.  Yesterday we were almost to the park, so I let him off the leash a little early.  He saw a bird (he loves birds) and took off after it.  I yelled and ran after him but it was too late.  I couldn't catch up  to him and he ran right out into the road (opposite direction of where we were headed) and was hit by a speeding car (Speed limit is 30 mph).

He died in my arms on the way to the emergency room. My wife stopped the truck and came to hold him as he slipped away.

My fault.  I screwed up again.  Cannot describe how much I miss him.  He was not any old dog.  Trooper was still a puppy in many ways.  My wife and I loved him like our own child.  We don't have any children yet, this has been devastating for her.  As much as I'd like to sit and tell all of you that I am strong...I am not.  I cried as hard as she did.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 3:07:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Very sorry for your loss. A good dog is a best friend you will miss forever. Try to think of the good times.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 3:13:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.  I know my words can't do anything to ease your sorrow, but please accept my deepest sympathies.

I went through this myself just a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 3:13:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 4:11:42 AM EDT
[#4]
May God be with you in this tragic time.  

This is why my dogs NEVER go off leash except in a fenced in area.  I had the displeasure of seeing my first childhood dog get hit right in front of me when I was about 10...I'll never let that happen to one of my dogs if I can help it.

QS
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 4:15:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I know how much a dog can mean to someone.I wish there were something I could say.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 4:51:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I know how you feel bud.
I just lost my dobe of over ten years. I think it was a heart attack, it was quick, whatever it was.
It never ceases to amaze me how we get attached to our animals, they are part of the family, no doubt.
Wish there was something to say to ease your pain, but I know there is not.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 5:01:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 5:04:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm really sorry to hear about your loss.  My wife and I love our Rott, and would be completely devistated if anything happened to her.  She likes squirrels, so I could see the exact same thing happening to us....I will be more careful in the future.

Trooper had a great life with you.  Remember the good times, and hold your wife a little tighter!
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 5:30:39 AM EDT
[#9]
[:(]

That happened to me too.  Don't think I've ever hurt that bad.  Sorry to hear that.

Link Posted: 12/14/2001 5:30:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Sorry to hear this.  You might want to check out petloss.com and the Rainbow Bridge poem.  It will cheer you up.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 5:32:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Geez satcong that's terrible.  I was there once myself about 16 years ago and it bothers me to this day.

I'm sorry.  Hang in there bro . . .
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 5:35:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 5:54:29 AM EDT
[#13]
go to the pound. they have another dog that needs you. go now. that's an order.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 6:02:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Sorry dude.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 6:33:56 AM EDT
[#15]
satcong, I'm so sorry for your loss.  That's a horrible way to lose a dear friend.  Don't dwell on it.  Things happen for a reason.  I know it's soon, but maybe a trip to the pound is what was meant to be.  Someone there must need you very much.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 6:43:19 AM EDT
[#16]
It's not your fault.
I'm sorry for your loss, satcong.  I've cried every time I've lost one of my critters.
Like the others have said, it's time(or it will be time when you have mourned enough) to give a new child/dog a home.
A dog is just a child who never loses their innocence.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 6:46:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 8:34:05 AM EDT
[#18]
I found the parents of Trooper.  They still live in Mesa.  They are going to give us another red tri when the next litter arrives in about six months.  The litter they just had is all spoken for.

Link Posted: 12/14/2001 9:04:26 AM EDT
[#19]
My thoughts and prayers are with you. Even though trooper has crossed the Rainbow Bridge, he will ALWAYS be with you, alive and happy in your hearts. He waits for his master's return and you will be reunited someday. Fair winds and following seas, shipmate!
Gil Frank USN(ret)
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 10:08:40 AM EDT
[#20]
You might give some thought to what lurker and AR-15gal said. There are a bunch of "Trooper's" at the local pound that assholes threw away that would love a new home. Also check online at the AussieRescue sites. We have five "throw away" dogs...
[url]http://thedognet.net/doghouse/linksbybreed/linksaustralianshepherd.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.aussierescue.org/[/url]
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#21]
This has become obligatory here......

[b]The Rainbow Bridge[/b]
inspired by a Norse legend

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,
Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.
Where the friends of man and woman do run,
When their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,
Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.
On this golden land, they wait and they play,
Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,
For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.
Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,
Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,
Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.
All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,
Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;
Together again, both person and pet.
So they run to each other, these friends from long past,
The time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,
Has turned into joy once more in each heart.
They embrace with a love that will last forever,
And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.

Link Posted: 12/14/2001 10:42:10 AM EDT
[#22]
And since I know some asshole is going to post something like, "Get over it, man, it's just a goddamn dog!"  Here's to that guy, in advance [-!-]

QS
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 10:53:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Satcong,
My wife of almost 4 years had a little Beagle named Bailey when we married. About that time I took a job that required me to work out of a home office. Bailey and I are now bonded like brothers. No one in my entire life has ever given me love and devotion the likes of which "Daddys Puppy" has. Not even my mother! Until you form a bond with a dog there is just no way you can appreciate how much a part of you they become.

It was once pointed out to me that DOG is GOD spelled backwards. Why am I not surprised?

I am truly empathetic to your loss, when mine goes I am going to be in tears for days.

They are truly magnificent creatures.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 10:56:52 AM EDT
[#24]
satcong- I am so terribly sorry. Your heart must be broken.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 11:55:23 AM EDT
[#26]
SATCONG-
You didn't lose a pet, you lost a family member.
So very, very, very sorry man. Prayers for you all.
Definatly go to the pound and fill the hole in 3 hearts. (yours, your wifes, and that of a needy pup)
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 1:07:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 1:27:36 PM EDT
[#28]
So very sorry to hear this, Satcong. I lost my Dalmation, Spencer, last January 13 in the same manner. He had peed on the floor and with angry words (regrettably), I sent him outside in the backyard to finish his business. He was three and a half and NEVER left the backyard, not even to go the the front yard, until that day. It was snowy on that day and I had just gotten done cleaning up the mess and had gone out to the backyard to get him and let him in to the house.  I did not immediately see him so I (starting to get nervous at this point), started around to the side of the house, when I saw two men walking down the driveway.  They approached me and asked if me if I knew anyone who had a Dalmation. I told them I did, and asked what happened. They could barely look at me, and said, "Oh, man, I'm really sorry. I just hit your dog with my pickup truck." I told them it wasn't their fault, and just then saw Spencer crawling down the driveway using only his front two legs.  I ran into the house to tell my fiancee what had just happened and she didn't believe me at first. When she realized I wasn't kidding, she and I put Spencer in the vehicle and headed for the vet. Spencer didn't make it. He passed away about five minutes into the drive. I was totally despondent and blamed myself (still do). My fiancee took me to our church and knocked on the rectory door asking the Pastor to come to the car to speak to me. He helped me out quite a bit, but only time can truly heal wounds like these. When we got home, my fiancee's brother had driven over his front-end loader and dug a six foot grave to properly bury Spencer in. We had our own little ceremony and buried Spencer in the back yard about 25 feet from the house. Sorry for the long story, I just wanted you to know that you're not alone. Horrible things sometimes happen to good people...and dogs. We must grow and become stronger from them, so they are not in vain. Take care of yourself. The cloud cover will break...eventually.

Cloak
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 3:03:30 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm very sorry for your loss.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 3:07:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 3:39:57 PM EDT
[#31]
"Near this spot are deposited the remains of one who possessed Beauty without Vanity, Strength without Insolence, Courage without Ferocity, and all the Virtues of man, without his Vices. This Praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery if inscribed over human ashes, is but a just tribute to the memory of Boatswain, a dog."

George Gordon

"To call him a dog hardly seems to do him justice, though inasmuch as he had four legs, a tail,barked, I admit he was, to all outward appearances. But to those of us who know him well, he was a perfect gentleman."

Hermione Gingold
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 7:01:59 PM EDT
[#32]
[>Q]Sorry bud, I know the feeling, it sucks real bad for a long time! Dogs are more loyal and respectful than alot of people.[>Q]
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 9:01:00 PM EDT
[#33]
I am sorry to hear that Satcong. I definately know what you are going through. When I was 12 years old I watched a car kill my dog. It wouldn't have happened if I had him on a leash. I knew I shouldn't have taken him down to the road without a leash, but I did anyway.

Best thing you can do is to adopt a dog right away. It will help ease your pain.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 9:17:07 PM EDT
[#34]
No doubt he was a good friend, and what price can you put on one of God's creatures, who loves you unconditionally, and waits for you to come home. His whole life revolves around yours, and now he is gone, and there will be a big hole in your life for some time.

As good humans, we all become attached to our pets, and the quality of care they get from us, in this case you, really tells what type of a man you are. You tried to save his life, and you did your best. You can't beat that.

It was an accident, he was running free chasing a bird, and if a dog has to die, thats kind of a nice way to go, and at least you were there for him, giving him some security, love, and reassurance. He knew that too. I am sorry for your loss Mate.

1feral1
Sydney
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 9:25:53 PM EDT
[#35]
I am very sorry for your loss.  I have two dogs and they are like our children (we don't have any human children yet)  I can't imagine if they were gone.

Only time will help the pain.  

Take care and god bless your family.

medcop
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 9:34:07 PM EDT
[#36]
I know it doesn't help, but I know how you feel. I'm very sorry.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 2:29:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Everyone,

Thanks all for the kind words, they mean more than you will ever know.

Link Posted: 12/15/2001 3:16:25 PM EDT
[#38]
I've been in tears when I've meerly [b]dreamed[/b] about loosing my pug.  There's no such thing as "just a dog."  If you have "just a dog," you aren't doing it right, IMHO.

My condolences.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 4:05:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Damn, now all you guys got me crying.  I am very sorry for your loss.  Our two girls are our children, and I cant think about what it would mean to lose them.  It was hard enough when we lost Ralf the Rat (in the picture).

I'm going to have my wife read this thread as she often leaves our girls off leash in the yard, and like every dog, when they see something they are gone.

Just remember, he will be waiting in heaven for you.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 5:06:29 PM EDT
[#40]
I am so sorry for your loss

I had a similar situation that cost me the life of my Lab "Rowdy Demon MH".

I didnt know the neigbors had gotten some chickens - yes I live in BFE. Rowdy crusises over to say hi to the birds..

Stupid (thats me) calls him back from the kitchen window where I am making coffee - Rowdy runs right in front of a minivan and subsequently dies in my lap on the way to the vet.

Ropes
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top