Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2001 9:04:13 PM EDT
Was watching a Chinese shoot em up bang bang movie on the Action Channel and saw the funniest most unbelievable thing in my life. I laghed for a 1/2 hour after that.

Scenario:
Gun fight in a cafeteria. Good guy with his girl trying to get away from an ambush of about 20 guys with what seemed to be unlimited ammo. Good guy with a Berretta 92.

1st guys walks in the door spot the good guy. Good guy spots bad guy 1. BG1 pulls out a Desert Eagle, appears to be a .44Magnum. GG turns over plastic chair and hide behind it with his girl. Bullets bounce off. Wow kevlar chairs, what freaking good idea for an unsuspecting cafeteria.

Next scenario:
After blowing away BG1, the gang arrives. 10 guys with full auto weapons, M16's, SteyrAUG, MP5's and suchs. All shooting at once killing everyone in the place but the good guy. However, while he is running, ducking, and protecting his girl, he manages to take the BG's one by one with well placed shots in the head or heart. Then he does this cool quick re-load. He has a mag pouch, mags in it are placed floor plate in the mag pouch just an centimeter or so. However the mag does not fall with all the running jumping and ducking he's been doing. So he runs out of rounds, slide locks back. He take his gun, drops the mag, barrel still pointing at the BG. With one action he moves the gun to his hips where the mag is, jams the mag into the gun, with his thum releases the slide and shoots BG and hits him in the chest while the gun is still at his hips on top of the mag pouch.

That is skill you don't learn from a Tac School or shooting USPSA or IDPA.

Link Posted: 12/12/2001 9:06:13 PM EDT
[#1]
same shit was in tomb raider

[):)]
NSF
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Same stuff in all those types of movies.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 9:45:55 PM EDT
[#3]
in the "Gunmen" starring Mario Van Peeple, Patrick stewart, and Christopher Lambert. in the same scene a camera angle switches between Christopher whom is holding a gun to Mario's head. the gun changes from a revolver to an automatic and back again. what a neat trick; now thats versatility in a gun.

Mario Van Peeples starts out in the movie with an old 1902 colt wich was a .32 or .38acp...well anyway i cant remember. it was before the m1911 came out in .45acp. Mario kept referring to that old gun as a 9mm until he drops it into a river. not excactly funny, but a huge error in a movie called the "gunmen"

i always hate those sci-fi looking reticles in almost every film with a sniper in it.

old western gunfighters seem to throw thier bullets out of their six shooters.

its bed time lib
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 9:52:37 PM EDT
[#4]
They need to stop hiring NSFjojo as the firearms advisor for these films. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 12:01:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I have heard they show this type of movie at the Mall Ninja training institute also....I think they call it a: training film!

medcop
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 12:21:49 AM EDT
[#6]
In The Matrix, when Keeaaaannuuu Reeves is running through the lobby trying to get up to save Morpheus, he's firing two of what look like Skorpions, doing the full-auto Woo. What look like 9mm casings are shown flying out in the close-ups of the weapons, but what look like 5.56mm casings are shown hitting the deck around his boots as he runs.

In just about every movie where a Glock is pointed at someone, the "hammer" is cocked back as the weapon is brought to bear.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 12:53:02 AM EDT
[#7]
The De Palma movie "Snake Eyes", with Nic Cage.

The crux of the movie hinges around Cage seeing a boxer flinch at the sound of a gunshot during the boxing match while the boxer was supposed to be KO'd.  This leads Cage to think the boxer knew something about the assassination, and that the boxer faked being KO'd (wouldn't have reacted to the gunshot if he was truly KO'd).

There's lots of backpedaling in the movie to the point where you see the assassin take the shot, but then we see:  THE GUN HAS A SILENCER, THEREBY NEGATING THE WHOLE INITIAL CLUE THAT CLUED THE HERO INTO THINKING THE BOXER HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE ASSASSINATION!!!

The first 20 minutes of the movie was really cool, the rest was mediocre garbage.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 1:14:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Faux Pas #1 The racking of slides or bolts by characters portraying cops, soldiers or other professionals that should obviously have rounds already in the chamber.

Faux Pas #2 The repeated racking of slide by characters as a threat with no round ejecting from a gun that we've already seen racked at least once.

Faux Pas #3 Seen it in a few movies, view of a character racking a shotgun from the ejection port side with no round going into the chamber.

Dopes Dopes Dopes
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 4:35:43 AM EDT
[#9]
WOW!...That's what I called ACTION movie! Anything a Hollywood director can think of or dream of.  Good guy always win and always get the girl. Bad guys? 100, 200 with full auto assault weapons? No problemo! Piece of cake!

That's big business and kids loved it....(Big Problem).
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 5:40:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 6:12:56 AM EDT
[#11]
In the movie "Spy Game", Brad Pitt sets up the worst sniper position I have ever seen. It is on top of a ridge, out in the open, with the leading 1' of the barrel uncamoflauged. No suppressor, no nothing. Attacking in broad daylight, with a HELICOPTER INTERPOSING ITSELF BETWEEN HIM AND THE TARGET!!!

I could go on, but I won't. Save your $$$ and go see Lord of the Rings instead.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 7:48:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Saw an old sci-fi movie on late night TV a month or so ago.  "Mission to Mars"?  It must have been made in the late 40s or 50s.  The compartments of the "spaceship" looked like an office building with metal desk & office chairs and one little round window high up.  

The commander had a 1911A1 and the absolute worst gun handling skills ever.  He'd pull it out to show the other people how ready he was for the martians, handle it with his finger on the trigger, cock the hammer & let it down, point it sideways at everybody.  It was like an anti-trining film.  One example after another of what not to do.  

Later, when he did shoot a martian or two, it only pissed them off & they "flew" back to Earth with their tails between their legs.

Awful movie.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 7:59:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Worst screw-up I've ever seen was on the movie "A Time to Kill".  A couple of cops are transporting a/two rapist up the stairs in a courthouse.  Samuel L. Jackson (the father of the 9 yr. old who got raped) runs in with an M16A1, triangular handguard, very nice gun for the dirt poor farmer he is.  He starts blasting away at the bad guys and the camera angle moves to show the men getting shot up.  Camera goes back to Jackson who is now holding an Ak-47.  Camera angle changes again and shows the bad guys falling.  Camera goes back to Sam and he's apparently picked the M16 back up.  Biggest gun screwup I've ever seen.

I love it how in every movie the hammer comes back on guns like 20 or 30 times during a suspenseful situation.  It's like the guy turns a corner, points the gun, pulls the hammer back, then must be letting it back down because the same thing happens in 30 seconds.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 8:22:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Spearweasel,

I brought up the Spy Game deal too. Not to mention he was, what looked like about 100 yds away from the guy.

He had a spotter for a shot I could make open sights? !?!?

Ghillie suits on an open hill with NO ESCAPE ROUTE.

Just curious as to how many vietcong Helicopters were actually used in Vietnam?

Link Posted: 12/13/2001 9:50:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#16]
My favorite parody of all this was in the movie Top Secret when Chocolate Mousse mows everyone in a room down with a hip fired machine gun swung back and forth.  Only the bad guys drop and the good guys are just standing there dumbfounded.  Classic.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#17]
How about in Rambo: First Blood II, when he fires a LAW rocket INSIDE the cockpit of a helicopter, with friendlies in the crew compartment BEHIND him...yet somehow the backblast didn't even curl their hair.
Similarly, in an old B&W SF movie called It: Terror from Beyond Space (it was the inspiration for the original Alien movie) the Mars mission had M1 Garands and a bazooka(!) along and FIRED THE FRIGGING BAZOOKA INSIDE THE DAMNED SPACESHIP!  Must be some damned thick metal if you can shoot 30-06 and bazooka shells in it without piercing the hull...
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 12:31:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Read a book called "Battleground USA". Has more gun fax pas than any movie. Plus it was written by a SWAT Sniper. Check my post "Worst book I have ever read" on the G.D. board.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 12:37:23 PM EDT
[#19]
my favorite has always got to be when there about to cap the good guy the bad guy decides hey this would be a good time to chambe a round
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#20]
One of my favorite are the pair of Skorpions from The Matrix that ejects .223 casings.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 12:41:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 12:44:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Worst screw-up I've ever seen was on the movie "A Time to Kill".  A couple of cops are transporting a/two rapist up the stairs in a courthouse.  Samuel L. Jackson (the father of the 9 yr. old who got raped) runs in with an M16A1, triangular handguard, very nice gun for the dirt poor farmer he is.  He starts blasting away at the bad guys and the camera angle moves to show the men getting shot up.  Camera goes back to Jackson who is now holding an Ak-47.  Camera angle changes again and shows the bad guys falling.  Camera goes back to Sam and he's apparently picked the M16 back up.  Biggest gun screwup I've ever seen.

I love it how in every movie the hammer comes back on guns like 20 or 30 times during a suspenseful situation.  It's like the guy turns a corner, points the gun, pulls the hammer back, then must be letting it back down because the same thing happens in 30 seconds.
View Quote

The dirt poor farmboy got the 16 from his Nam buddy who became a wealthy pimp. You were probably making a beer run to the fridge and missed it. like I was when the M16/AK47 switch took place. Now I have to go rent the damn thing! (The Blockbuster manager is cute though!)

PS Put M16A1 into spell check and look at all the suggestions you get!
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 1:25:00 PM EDT
[#23]
A few come to mind:

-Pointing pistols at people while the slides are locked back

-Repeadedly racking slides

-Sound of hammer cocking on Glocks (Murder at 1600 is the only one I distinctly remmeber this in)

-And my personal favorite:  In Tomb Raider: Lara slaps two fresh mags from her nifty backpack thingy into her HK Match pistols, thumbs both slides forward (does HK make left-handed slide release levers???), then spins the guns around like some old West gunfighter (remember the hammer stays back when you thumb the slide forward, unless HK makes DOA Match pistols).  Miraculous that she didn't shoot herself in the face.  I almost leapt to my feet and yelled "BULLSH*T" in the crowded theater when I saw that, but my girlfriend was able to restrain me.

-Too many others to name right now
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 1:40:00 PM EDT
[#24]
come on angelina is so hot, she could of had a gun that ran on peanut butter, i wouldn't have cared.

in case you didn't realize i'm not watching that movie for the weapon knowledge... unless you count the par she keeps on her chest. OMG is she ever hot. call her a skank, i won't get mad. i'd like squeaky clean chicks, i like 'em a "little dirty" :) hehe

OffRoad
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 3:48:59 PM EDT
[#25]
I watched an episode of Sliders where one of the bad guys was still 'shooting' with the slide locked back.  And don't forget Die Hard II, where Bruce Willis told the airport police that the "terrorists have Glock 7's, which is made of porcelain".
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 3:58:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Air Force one, Ford was fighting a tango on the plane, this would be the first tange he takes down, the MP-5 the tango was carrying was a rubber piece, you can notice the front sight ring is completely filled in.  

Link Posted: 12/13/2001 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#27]
My favorite was "DESPERADO".....with el greaso benderas......he had a pair of p90`s that put out about 50 rds per mag before he reloaded.........cheech marin was the bartender.............[heavy]........(up in smoke).......[smoke]
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 4:43:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 6:57:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
(does HK make left-handed slide release levers
View Quote

not to give tomb raider any credit, but those USPs she had a bunch of not stock AMBI extras, as i recall from a disscussion on HKpro. however, i guess maybe slide release wanst one of them.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 7:47:36 PM EDT
[#30]
How about the scene from "True Lies", where Jamie Lee([:P])Curtis drops an UZI 9mm down a set of stairs while it is firing the whole time, and takes out all of the bad guys. No wonder the Anti's are so afraid of guns, the damn thing is firing by itself.(and accurately too!)
coyote3
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 7:50:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Raiders of the Lost Ark:

Indy's revolver turns into a 1911 and then back into a revolver during the shootout in the  cantina.

Actually, most movies I've seen lately have big problems with reality when it comes to firearms.  Why is it that every two-bit hoodlum has to have a Desert Eagle?  Damn, those things are hard to conceal!  

Why did Neo need so many different weapons on him in "The Matrix" during the fight scene in the lobby?  It would have been much better to have stuck with the two MP-5Ks than to keep switching.  The chick had plenty of pieces on her, but ended up taking weapons from the cops.  Odd thing to do for someone supposedly so well trained.  Oh, and how did Neo manage to not kill his buddy inside the building while firing the minigun from the helicopter?  He wasn't exactly firing short, controlled bursts.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 8:02:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
...  Oh, and how did Neo manage to not kill his buddy inside the building while firing the minigun from the helicopter?  He wasn't exactly firing short, controlled bursts.
View Quote

I wondered the very same thing myself.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
And don't forget Die Hard II, where Bruce Willis told the airport police that the "terrorists have Glock 7's, which is made of porcelain".
View Quote

That wasn't even the most grevious gun error in the movie...remember the magic MP5s that will fire blanks AND live ammo full auto with NO modifications to the barrel???
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 8:44:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Raiders of the Lost Ark:

Indy's revolver turns into a 1911 and then back into a revolver during the shootout in the  cantina.
View Quote

Actually this was a case of faulty editing.  He switches to a 1911 from his revolver at some point in the shootout, and when they went back and edited the scene, they put a scene from after he got the 1911 to an earlier point in the shootout.  Still a gaffe, but more readily understandable.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 9:22:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Didn't know Andy McNab was the tech consultant on HEAT - nice to know.  But MAN... when I want to turn up the speakers and watch a gunfight movie that is the one!  They even change mags! *gasp*

Quoted:
If you want to see REAL gun handling, watch HEAT.  SAS Sgt Andy McNab, an Iraqi POW during Desert Storm and author of Bravo Two Zero, was the technical consultant, and it shows.
-Troy
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 10:30:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Just last night I watched/rented a sub-b rated terrorist movie. The so-called expert machinist was doing the final assembly on his bomb that he was machining all through the movie. In this final assembly he was using his dial calipers as a spanner wrench.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 6:29:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Just finished reviewing all the gun errors in The Matrix (I love the crisp freeze-frames on DVD).  
-The accusation of hearing hammers cocking on Glocks in the beginning actually sounds more like the racking of slides (still edited in because every cop in the scene was carrying a flashlight in his support hand....hard to rack slide that way)
-.223 brass coming out of the Skorpions
-The slo-motion shots of the brass coming out of the Minigun are BLANKS...you can see the crimped tips.
-Same with slo-mo of Desert Eagles firing in the last scene in the hotel...real good shot of crimped brass being ejected.  I laughed my ass off on that one.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#38]
I just watched the return of Chucky the other night. I was wondering how a doll managed to conceal a glock pistol that is almost as big as he is, much less fire it accurately...

Glock 7? I have one of those. It cost more then I make in a year, but it was worth it to carry on airplanes. Oh wait, I must be having those dreams again...

Link Posted: 12/17/2001 9:34:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 12:15:53 AM EDT
[#40]
In "Last Man Standing" those 45's had about 20 round high cap magazines.

Ropes
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 4:07:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Raiders of the Lost Ark:

View Quote

Actually this was a case of faulty editing.  He switches to a 1911 from his revolver at some point in the shootout, and when they went back and edited the scene, they put a scene from after he got the 1911 to an earlier point in the shootout.  Still a gaffe, but more readily understandable.
View Quote

Actually the pistol is a Browning Hi-power, A very early Hi-power, since the movie is supposed to be set in 1936.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 5:27:15 AM EDT
[#42]
you wonder why keannau did not hit his buddy with the mini gun?  Dont you remember ...he is The One.

You have to admit, that is one of the cooles scenes ever-especially on DVD and surround sound.

The only thing cooler was in Predator when they all opened up in the jungle-I think I spewed after watching that the first dozen times.  Only problem with that is when he sez he laid down a hundred rounds at it with the minigum-sorry buddy- you just shot about 1-2000 at it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 7:00:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The chick had plenty of pieces on her, but ended up taking weapons from the cops.  Odd thing to do for someone supposedly so well trained.
View Quote

Well, if you look at the poster of the movie, she's carrying a Beretta .380.  If that's all I had I'd be picking up some NFA weapons ASAFP!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:02:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top