Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2001 11:52:51 AM EDT
Funny, I don't feel very good about still having a job after seing so many of my friends laid off again today.

This is the third lay off this year. I have been through 8 in 6 years.

I am getting tired of being the guy left holding the bag.

Link Posted: 12/12/2001 12:00:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Funny, I thought McDonalds was in better financial shape than that.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 12:13:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Funny, I don't feel very good about still having a job after seing so many of my friends laid off again today.
View Quote

Were the layoffs based on seniority, performance or the closing of a specific division?  Or did you intentionally cut your friends throats? (I know you didn't - don't beat yourself up man!)

This is the third lay off this year. I have been through 8 in 6 years.
View Quote

I've dodged 4 this year.  Makes you feel really secure doesn't it?

I am getting tired of being the guy left holding the bag.
View Quote

That part does suck.  OTOH, it usually means additional overtime (albeit mandatory) and you'll end up making a lot more money than you would on unemployment (assuming you're not salaried - that majorly sucks).

Look at the bright side - it's better than the unemployment line, right? (I keep telling myself it is!)

View Quote
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 12:13:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Funny, I thought McDonalds was in better financial shape than that.
View Quote

[img]www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/laugh.gif[/img]  You can't fire one of the most popular meals ever sold.

Link Posted: 12/12/2001 12:19:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Good luck, BigMac.
I dodged 13 in 5yrs8mos and got the seasons greeting 12/7.
[BD]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 12:38:20 PM EDT
[#5]
We're having our 3rd round this year.  I'm in Telcom so this is getting to be old hat.  I was legacy MCI and the axe hung over us for almost 3 years.  I got sick of it and changed companies and was worry free for almost 18 months, before we starting cutting back here.

This will be the first to hit my team specifically.  I know I'm loosing at least one person on my team.

If I know the whole story, I'll still be here tommorow afternoon.  That's the good news.

The bad news is, I don't think there is any way in hell we can meet the revenue numbers to stop round 4.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 12:44:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Today I still have a job..... Too bad in 6 mo the company may be gone completely.

Maybe some of you have not eaten at McDonalds...

They should be out of business.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 2:11:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I just found out yesterday that my client is cutting all contractors loose on Dec. 31st. Odd thing is that the company's not hurting. Just a policy decision.

And there I was feeling sorry for all the Enron folks.

Life just sux sometimes.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 2:15:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Just like every winter for the past few years, people are being furloughed at the railroad I work for to the seasonally slow business cycle and general lack of vacations being taken. It will be at it's worst after the holidays when UPS shipments drop off and business in general really drops off. I would expect that eventually a total of around 10% of the employees in the operating department of my division will find themselves furloughed and some for perhaps as long as 2-3 months. Funny thing is, the company is also hiring new employees as well, probably because the training program is 5 months long so they will be ready to go as the summer vacation season kicks in and the bean counters may even be anticipating an upswing in rail traffic next year.

We lay off strictly by seniority, too. While it may have it's downsides as any other system of criteria used to determine who gos and who stays, I like the fact that it is totally non-arbitrary and eliminates the pathetic politicking, blatant asskissing, and cutthroat tactics employees of large corporations usually employ when trying to keep their jobs. You go into this job knowing that low man on the roster is first to go when times get lean and either accept it or find another line of work. No one is left with any compuction about why they were spared.

Link Posted: 12/12/2001 10:59:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Just wait and see what Verizon does after the 4th quarter.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 11:11:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just wait and see what Verizon does after the 4th quarter.
View Quote

My wife worked for Airtouch/Vodafone/Verizon for years.  Well, she was with Verizon for four months before bailing with my blessing.  From her report and the report of most of her work friends Verizon's senior management were in complete disarray and couldn't see the forest from their butts.  I'd be very suprised for them to do much of anything positive.

BTW, I teach special ed and I don't think that short of beating a kid I could get laid off/fired.  Work sucks, pay sucks, but I certainly have job security.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 11:13:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Today I still have a job..... Too bad in 6 mo the company may be gone completely.

Maybe some of you have not eaten at McDonalds...

They should be out of business.
View Quote

Damn i eat there every day. # 9 super size Dr Pepper.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 11:22:03 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife works for United Airlines - she's on sick leave, thankfully - it mean she'll have a job to go back to if she want's to.  We know some people that are furloughed, but have heard they are starting to call some of the furloughed people back...

Then there's the company I work for... stock is at $0.08 (no I don't work for Enron)  A year ago it was at about $32.00  I have options at $1.00 a share - like I'm ever going to excersize those!  And they're claiming we turned the corner last quarter - I'll believe it when I see it.  Haven't seen any new sales come in the door in about 6 months - and the one possible new contract is being argued over...

Ah well, I still get a check to at least the end of the year, and vacation - first paid one in 17 years!
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 4:24:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Just remember to keep a kevlar and flak jacket/bulletproof vest nearby in case someone goes postal.  Carry if at all possible...good luck.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 5:02:09 AM EDT
[#14]
My wife works for a very large financial company in Boston.  They have already cut a number of contractors and senior execs.  Her position is safe as far as we can tell.  I got canned about 5 yrs ago for a company that was family oriented.  Decided to start my own business.  Not for everyone, but does give a fair amount of freedom and time with the kids.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 6:11:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just remember to keep a kevlar and flak jacket/bulletproof vest nearby in case someone goes postal.  Carry if at all possible...good luck.
View Quote

I'll have to make do with my Benchmade and a stapler.

However, if you asked my co-workers who in the office was most likely to go postal, I'm sure they would all say me.

I mean they know I hve guns and I've even gone to shooting schools and shoot in some local matches of various types.  "Yikes!!!"
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 6:21:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I got my runnin shoes on.... and just in case I run out of space to run... a compact .45. Not legal to carry to and from work... but no company policy against fire arms. Many of my co workers suspect I carry... they feel safer.

I think I'll sport the .45 for the rest of the week....
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 6:34:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Just laid off today, less than one hour ago!
Tennessee is suffering too.[:0]
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 8:39:57 AM EDT
[#18]
In the 70s I was in the Army. I reenlisted and took a bunch of crap from the short timers about it. I also put up with a bunch of crap from superiors for my 20 years. After that I taught school for another 10 and put up with a bunch of crap from a lot of people. I am retired now and fishing full time when I want to. I don't put up with any crap now. I guess it was worth it. John
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 8:17:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Our company has had several layoffs over the past three years.  Just Tuesday we had another... half our remaining employees.  Then to top it off, the ones who didn't get laid off had to take a 12.5% pay cut.  Ouch!  And tech jobs are getting difficult to find.  So now we have more for less pay.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#20]
The biggest kick in the ass..... they had me walk out my direct co-worker, and hunting buddy.
This guy was my hazmat backup. I guess I'll be training a new guy how to do toxic gas cylinder changes. The most important thing my backup is supposed to do is pull my butt out of the door if I colapse, before he runs to get help. Most people I've seen in a hazmat emergency panic when it's not a drill... I like having a guy I can trust, just to watch my back...
Talk about wanting to be sick.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 6:14:33 PM EDT
[#21]
i'll add my 2 cents worth. the girlfriend was working in new york as a pastry chef. yes, she is darn good if i do say so myself. well, since 9-11 all of the restaurants in new york have had a few problems, just a little! yeah, right. as of now, there are about 15,000 restaurant workers out of work.

a few weeks ago she went in for an open call (you show up at the place of business and hand in your resume). the line, well, it was out the office on the second floor, down the stairs, and DOWN the block! people looking for work, just a few!

so far, nothing, we have fax-ed out i don't know how many resume's and just 1 job interview. i know, life is hard all over.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 8:56:21 PM EDT
[#22]
If they lay off any more at my Job I will be the only one left in my office there's only about 6 of us left now, and a few days ago they let my boss go as they wiped out that level of management across the board. At least they are taking from both sides and have suspended bonuses, raises and promotions for management and executives as well as the rest of us. The other project manager I work with has decided to go back in the Army rather than sweat out another layoff.
I am hopeful things will turn around soon I have had a few new jobs come in to start around the first of the year.
I hope things will turn around for all of us soon. Best of luck to those of you looking for jobs this time of year.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 10:07:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 11:13:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ah well, I still get a check to at least the end of the year, and vacation - first paid one in 17 years!
View Quote

Guess I spoke too soon... got shown the door yesterday.  Get the last pay period, all accrued vacation, and 2 weeks severence... well, I guess that's a paycheck to the end of the year, but I was going on vacation, now I get to take that other job - the one looking for work.

Ah well, I'm actually a bit relieved to be out of there...
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 11:20:38 PM EDT
[#25]
We just got told today that we are looking at a 50% rif after the holidays. I don't appear to be at risk, for which I am thankful. Been laid off twice in ten years and it sucked both times.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top