Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2001 4:33:57 AM EDT
I'm curious as to how many different responses will come from this question. What is the best surplus military rifle to buy(cheap). Something that has a fairly standard cartridge not something thats hard to find. One thats fairly accurate for a military rifle so I could use it for hunting if i want to. Action type is unimportant, the most important thing is cost. This will be basically be used as a long range stress reliever at the local range. Any thought are appreciated.

Crosshairs           [sniper]
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 4:41:39 AM EDT
[#1]
that's easy -

The enfield No. 4 Mark II. No question, hands down. $200 for sniper-type accuracy. All in a production battle rifle.

Getcha some!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 4:43:37 AM EDT
[#2]
My M1 Garand from CMP and a Yugo K98 Mauser.

Fun to try them side by side and see the difference in firepower (hint - M1 kicks butt)

[img]http://members.home.net/vbsolutions/pics/DCP00736.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 4:44:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 4:46:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Hi,

The Swede Mausers in 6.5*55 can be very accurate in the hands of a good competer. Over here matches for veteran military boltrifles are usually won with these rifles (M96). The flat shooting traits of the 6.5*55 caliber also help on longer ranges. (I'm only adressing match/target shooting, NOT hunting).

These are nice rifles.

And I'm also impressed by the quality and accuracy of the swiss K31 straight pull rifles. Although the 7.5*55 Swiss isn't such a flat shooter as the 6.5 is.

Cheers,
RG.nl
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 4:49:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 5:07:35 AM EDT
[#6]
posted by Garand Shooter:
Mine is a blast to shoot. In addition, I keep it hanging on the wall(ammo secured howerver) with the bayonet on it. If a burgaler does break in, if he takes the rifle instead of the TV or VCR I figure I am money ahead!
View Quote

I hope you are joking,

This is a Deadly Weapon that you Can Not just leave UN-secure.

DON'T be part of the anti-guns [b]Dumbing down of America.[/b]

Please You Need to SECURE your WEAPON, Don't Give the Anti-Gun more [b]AMMUNITION[/b] against us.

Anyone can walk/break into you place and steal your Gun.

With All the [b]CRAP[/b] we are Taking today, everyone should have a secure place for their weapon, before the DAMN anti-Constitutionalist make a law requiring you to own one.

Allege handgun control master plan for TOTAL gun confiscation/Citizen Dis-Armament:

[url]http://www.RKBA.org/antis/hci-master[/url]

7  Requirement of Federally Approved Storage Safes for all guns

We should follow Great Britain's lead on this.  All licensed gunowners should be required to have a storage safe which meets minimum federally mandated requirements.  This step would reduce the tragic accidents which claim the lives of tens of thousands of children a year and make it more difficult for burglars to steal the guns.

8  Inspection License
Another good revenue source would be mandatory inspection licensing of all safes.  Each safe would be registered with a specific serial number and the serial numbers and types of weapons stored should be on file with federal and state authorities. Since unannounced inspectors can insure that all declared weapons are being properly stored, all safe licenses should have an additional yearly fee to offset the cost of these spot inspections.
View Quote

The anti-gun want your GUN stolen so they can write more anti-gun LAWS.

Are YOU waiting For Someone to Steal your weapons.

^
This really concerns Me, People that just leave their Guns lying around UN-Secure.

Please LOCK IT UP.
^

[url]www.RKBA.org/antis/hci-master[/url]
[url]www.DigitalAngel.net/da_patent/index.htm[/url]

Never Again, Never Forget
Seek the Truth
Liberate Your Mind

FIXED BAYONETS

VX
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 5:19:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 5:59:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 6:01:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I might have an answer for you.  I've shot all the above mentioned and own all but the M1 and the Turkish Mauser.  If you want a standard cartridge and an accurate rifle that is inexpensive, I recommend the Enfield No.1 Mk3 2A(made in India).  It is patterned after the British No.1 Mk3, but it is chambered in the .308win ORIGIANALY. It is made to handle the .308 not rechambered.  The cost right now though Southern Ohio Guns is @90.00.  The Enfield action is fast and smooth.  It also has a 10rd detachable mag.  I can consistantly hit a 9" paper plate at 300yds, and several will hit the 2" bull, with OPEN sights.  Try that with your favorite hunting rifle.  

I shot my antelope a few years ago with it just to spice up my hunt a bit.  I shot him at about 60yds on the run. You will like this rifle if you get one.  It is not as romantic as a M1, or a Springfield, or even a British Enfield, but it does the job you are looking for.  It was my first surplus rifle, and got me hooked on these old military warhorses.  reguards jim g
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 6:18:21 AM EDT
[#10]
posted Garand Shooter :
I'm sorry, but I refuse to buy into the anti's propaganda about locking everything behind 6 layers of security
View Quote

I would feel better if You left a POS that Didn't work, than to leave a working Firearm for someone to steal, a lest take the bolt out of it, so it would be Inoperable.

I seen too many tragedy with children and stolen guns that are UN-sercure.

If want them for protection, unlocked them when you get Home.

The anti-gun want you to think you don't need to lock your gun.

^

Seek the Truth
Liberate Your Mind

FIXED BAYONETS

VX
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 6:28:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 2:43:33 PM EDT
[#12]
all right we got a few opinions. Keep em coming.
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#13]
crosshairs, i read "hard to find" then i would suggest, a johnson rifle. not impossible, but definitely "hard to find" 30-06 the marines liked em`......B&G
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#14]
crosshairs, sorry i misread your question. i recently acquired a "gibbs" enfield conversion, which is a enfield 2a(india) made into a carbine in 308win. i would not hesitate using this gun for deer, and it is definitely fun to shoot at the range. under 200 bucks, and you can put any 308 surplus that will go off in it. otherwise, the 303 is a good round also, and the guys that say enfields, for about 80-100 bucks are right. you can beat the hell out of them and not worry about it....B&G
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 5:10:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Garandman, I hope you are right about the Lee Enfield. Just got done resurrecting a mummy wrap No.4 MkII and won't get a chance to shoot it until next weekend. I have some of your namesakes,and love 'em! As for the unloaded Mauser with bayonet hanging on your wall, well, if you ever do get burglarized, we just might see the first ever reported "at point of bayonet" robbery at the local convenience store. Crackhead burglars ain't too smart. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Garandman, I hope you are right about the Lee Enfield. Just got done resurrecting a mummy wrap No.4 MkII and won't get a chance to shoot it until next weekend. I have some of your namesakes,and love 'em! As for the unloaded Mauser with bayonet hanging on your wall, well, if you ever do get burglarized, we just might see the first ever reported "at point of bayonet" robbery at the local convenience store. Crackhead burglars ain't too smart. Smarter than legislators who classify a match grade AR15 with a bayonet lug as an "evil assualt rifle", but that's not saying much. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 7:27:05 PM EDT
[#17]
15 pounds of Hakim would be fun to lug around hunting, and their sooo good looking.Or how 'bout an $80 Mosin Nagent? you wont even need an FFL for the old ones.
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 7:32:28 PM EDT
[#18]
If you want a Garand, get on the list. I have heard that the CMP is raising the price to $500 for a service grade (I think mine was $160 from the DCM way back when). CMP is $400 for now.
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 7:51:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I would go with the M38 Swedish mauser in 6.5X55 very accurate.  My Dad has a bunch of these rifles and not one of them is a bad shooter the M96 is very good as well.  Down side is in the last 6 months these rifles have went from $100 guns to $200 and up.  I figure if you get one now it'll be worth more in the future especially if the current trend continues.  Give'em a look.
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 9:06:51 PM EDT
[#20]
VX

I am glad to see you are concerned about our standing with those anti-gunners and that you take certain measures to do your part. But stolen firearms from residences are not commonly used in following crimes. A man should not be required to lock up anything he does not want to. We are playing into their fears of evil guns and innocent actions. The way I see it is that if someone is going to come after me with a gun then they are going to find one whether or not it is from the home of garand shooter. One cannot oppose one form of tyranny and not others; we cannot say that you don't have the right to take my guns but I will let you dictate how I store them and let you on my premises to inspect them. Once you accept one decree you must accept all.

What about your quote?
Seek the Truth
Liberate Your Mind

I will be keeping mine locked up except for what I need for imediate defense because I value them more than my TV, not because the government or some mindless drones of society tell me to.
Lets get all of our rights back, not just a few.
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 9:30:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I just received two CMP Service Grade M1s a couple of weeks ago and they're $500 right now. The Danish M1s are $400.
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 10:35:46 PM EDT
[#22]
posted by newdeal:
that you don't have the right to take my guns but I will let you dictate how I store them and let you on my premises to inspect them. Once you accept one decree you must accept all.
View Quote

You are missing my Point, that [b]Is[/b] exactly what going to happen if we are irresponsible with our Weapons storage.

What do you think a Gun is ?

What about my quote ?

^

Seek the Truth
Liberate Your Mind

FIXED BAYONETS

VX
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 10:44:48 PM EDT
[#23]
SKS  Best bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 11:00:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
SKS  Best bang for the buck.
View Quote

I agree. For $140 you can't possibly go wrong.
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 11:11:27 AM EDT
[#25]
1) SKS $150
2) .308 Lee Enfield $100
3) 8mm Mauser $75
My Indian Lee Enfield is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever shot.
Good Shooting!
[sniper]
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm curious as to where you guys find these great shooting relics.
The rifles I come across don't instill any confidence in me.
I’d love to find a cheap anything for once, but I don’t want to lose an eye experimenting.
So if someone can post a couple of reputable web sites or a dealer in southern NY, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top