Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2001 6:33:52 AM EDT
"Some of the discoveries have been surprising, such as a number of paper rifle-range targets printed by the National Rifle Association that were used by the Taliban to train their marksmanship. The targets bore names written in Arabic and the gunman's score."

[url]http://abcnews.go.com/sections/world/DailyNews/STRIKE_MAIN.html[/url]

Ugh.

Link Posted: 12/12/2001 6:40:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Just another example of irrelevant information.

The press want's you to come away with this impression:

1) OHMYGOD, Let's ban paper targets.  They turn honest Afghanis into terrorists

2) The NRA is actively supporting Al-Quaeda.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 6:51:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I didn't realize the NRA printed their own targets, I thought it was other companies that print NRA regulation size targets.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 7:52:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Here is an older related thread:

[url]http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=77289[/url]

You are right.  The NRA doesn't print targets.  They just sanction competitions.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 8:12:31 AM EDT
[#4]
i download mine from ammoman.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 8:23:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, the Article doesn't specify WHO'S NRA. I'm sure they want us to ASSume it was the US NRA, But in reallity it was the afgan national rifle asso.

I'm  surprised they used paper targets. I thought they (the tailibangers and al-queerda) were more into the "realistic" women and dog style ones.

-Justin
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 9:16:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't see this as necessarily any anti-gun rhetoric.  I think the main point the reporter is trying to make with that is that al Qaeda was using something American.  Not that different than saying, for example, that some of the bodies were found wearing Levi's jeans.  You wouldn't think that was a smear against Levi's, would you?  You guys are just too sensitive.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 3:21:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You are right.  The NRA doesn't print targets.  They just sanction competitions.
View Quote

You're correct, other companies print NRA-designed targets for NRA-sponsored competitions, but the targets all prominently say:
NRA 25 yd pistol
or some such thing.  Easy for the usual media ignoramus to think that these were "NRA targets"

I am waiting for the usual suspects to scream about "arming terrorists".
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 3:26:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Next step, I wonder how long it will take these talking heads that brought us "380 magnum" and "shot with a 40mm handgun" is going to ask the U.S. DoJ to declare the NRA a terrorist group.  Anybody want to take any bets?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top