Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2001 10:05:12 PM EDT
I recently got a Garmin GPSIII plus from a friend but it did not have the instruction booklet. I downloaded a copy of it from Garmins website. But I cant seem to find out how to upload the mapsource info from the CD's. I need to know how to do this.

Also I have 2 mapsource CD's
Waterways & Lights
Worldmap

Anyone want to do any tradeing, maybe we can get a few guys here with the cd's and get a network of the maps going.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 11:26:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I just bought 2 of 'em ! (one for the car and one for my "bug out bag")

They are really nice and the price was pretty good. (around 300 bucks @)

I bought the USA MapSource U.S. Roads & Recreation CD as well.

It was pretty straigtforward.  

- Connect the supplied (supplied with the GPS units)cable to an available serial port on your computer.

- Install the software (I think there was an update available on the garmin web site)

- Select the map areas you wish to download. (the memory in the GPS unit is fairly limited so you can only download a few map areas -- I was able to fit 5 NJ counties in mine)

- Mark any waypoints, etc...

- Download to your unit....

Let me know if you need any help, I'll connect one of mine to the 'ol laptop and write out a detailed step-by-step guide.

Good Luck !

BTW:
I like the "network of maps" concept ! [:D](for "evaluation purposes" of course!)[;)]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey do you have a high speed internet connection? We could do a file transfer that way or. We could do what ever you would want, so I could try out that Roads and Recreation.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 8:48:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Anyone else have any of the mapsourse cd's that they would be willing to trade around?
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 9:02:14 AM EDT
[#4]
All,
I have a older model of the GPSIII (not the plus).  I believe the factory supplied US map version is Ver2.0.

Does anyone know if the new "US Roads and Recreation" is limited to the newer GPSIII+ models?  I bought this unit used and suspect that it is of "1999 vintage".

There is one round input (NEMA?) jack with about 9pins on the unit.
If required I could supply futher info.

Thanks in advance for any information that can be provided.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm surprised that nobody has said they have the US topographic disc.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 1:29:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Thast the cd im really looking for. If anyone has it please let us know
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top