Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2001 6:36:35 PM EDT
ABCnews.com

Al Qaeda forces have been told to surrender by 8 a.m. Wednesday (10:30 p.m. ET Tuesday) after losing their positions in the mountains around the Tora Bora complex and indicating they were ready to discuss surrender terms, said Haji Mohammed Zaman, one of the three commanders leading the assault.
The offers followed the drop of a 15,000-pound "daisy cutter" bomb on suspected al Qaeda positions on Sunday.

Sources told ABCNEWS the bomb had a massive impact in terms of its outright destruction, and also set off a series of panicked radio and satellite-phone calls immediately after, and creating a flood of new hard evidence on the whereabouts of bin Laden.

The communications told intelligence sources that bin Laden was near the blast and is now on the run — and that many other al Qaeda leaders were killed. According to sources, bin Laden and his inner circle are still in the Tora Bora mountains

A Complicated Surrender

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld warned that even if the remaining al Qaeda fighters in the mountains surrender, the conflict is far from over.

"There's no question but that some of the terrorists are on the run, and there also are pockets of terrorists and Taliban that are being attacked as we speak," Rumsfeld said Tuesday. "But we all know that a wounded animal can be dangerous, and so, too, the Taliban and al Qaeda can hide in the mountains, they can hide in caves and, indeed, they can hide in cities."

[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]

Link Posted: 12/11/2001 6:44:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 6:51:15 PM EDT
[#2]
If they're being tracked by Predator...the question would be; Dead or Alive. Who's gonna make the call? I hope W just tells them...Hell yeah! Smoke his ass! Tonight! There is a deadline for surrender tonight also....maybe tonight he meets those "virgins"...which are actually  dead Desert Storm Iraqi men in drag.

I'm just hoping..
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 8:22:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Well the surrender time has passed.

I was watching Fox right then and they said they would go to Gerry Rivers live right when the deadline passed to get a report- and then they didn't.

And no one has broadcast anything more about the column of US infantry the CNN crew ran into night before last.

That was a really cool dasy cutter drop by the way.  They dropped it into a canyon, where the cave they wanted was in one face about half way between floor and rim- and they got it to go off right in front of the opening.

Old BL must be ready to wack some of his own people for panicing about him and breaking raido silence to ask if he was allright.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 8:26:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Has there been any video of a Daisey Cutter going off? Im really curious what that thing looks like.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 8:27:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 8:36:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Has there been any video of a Daisey Cutter going off? Im really curious what that thing looks like.
View Quote

They keep showing old films from Vietnam on the news.

I havent found any new pictures on the net from Afganistan of dasy cutter's going off.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Picture a really small nuke without the radiation.  SAS guys in the Gulf War mistook them for nukes when they were popped at night.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 8:44:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 8:46:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I just can't imagine what the concussion would be like from one of those babies detonating in a hard rock canyon.  Must give the seismologists something interesting to look at on the meters lately.

So here's one for you ... could a 15,000 lb HE munition set off an active fault and cause an earthquake?
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 8:54:38 PM EDT
[#10]
If it changed the stress points, it could release the energy. But highly unlikely. If we could release tension from the faults then we would of been doing it by now to prevent earth quakes.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 9:05:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 9:08:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So here's one for you ... could a 15,000 lb HE munition set off an active fault and cause an earthquake?
View Quote

No.  Unless it was a very small fault, at maximum stress.  Even then, the chances would be slim and none.
View Quote

Bummer, I guess we'll have to keep putting up with Kalifornia.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 9:18:26 PM EDT
[#13]
FYI I think a BLU 82 does about a 4 on the richter scale measured 1mi from the blast site, as a laydown.  Airburst is probably less.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 9:26:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Still, that's a pile of energy. I'm sure the bro-in-law could put one to good use at his rock quarry! Talk about turning big rocks into little rocks!
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 9:27:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 9:32:24 PM EDT
[#16]
OK, getting pretty far OT, but cement plants have all sorts of nifty devices for knocking concretions of clinker off the inside of the kiln shell.  Neatest one I've seen is an air cannon. When this particular one was being tested, the plant engineer fired a #10 coffee can full of oily rags out of sight - at least a mile.  Oof da!

Back to the topic, the lack of updates to this story is weird.  Wonder what is really going on?
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 9:49:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

... Well, that was the premise for Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks Winston_Wolf.  Another case of life imitates art.  Or more to the point, Philbert's swiss cheese memory regurgitates stuff he's seen in Mike Myers movies!
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 9:54:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wheres the AC-130 when you need it? [50]
View Quote

On MSNCB around 10:00PM ET, they announced the USAF was going to send in the AC-130's gunships.  I beleive they mentioned it in the context of being the next best thing to carpet bombing.  Any aircraft with a ground facing 105mm Howitzer, is an aircraft we need more of.  The half dozen Miniguns and M61 Vulcans are pretty neat too....[8D]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 5:17:16 AM EDT
[#20]
AC-130's AND A-10's are in the area popping the caves and mountains....so, yes the Spectre's are in theatre, as well as the Warthogs. This according to MSNBC's website coverage....

And it also looks like "we" are'nt accepting their surrender....we continue to bomb.

right on..
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 5:22:01 AM EDT
[#21]
One of the news channels kept showing a video last night, of an explosion that they said was a 15,000 pound daisey cutter going off.  It was quite far off but looked like a regular bomb only LOTS larger.

Apparently no surrender yet.  Nyuk, nyuk.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 5:28:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 5:32:18 AM EDT
[#23]
NAKED G,
You've sen pic's of the Warthog in theater ??
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 5:41:23 AM EDT
[#24]
I think if we had had a ground war of our conventional troops vs. Taliban and other mujahideen it would have been very ugly for the US. Fortunately, the bombed the hell out of Afghanistan and coordinated with the Northern Alliance utilizing Special Forces. If or when the US leaves, I foresee the Taliban returning......not necessarily to power....but a lot of these mofos are hiding in caves all over the country. Plus we may end up on a world tour after this. Phillipines, Iraq, Somalia, Mogadishu, who knows?........
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 5:44:04 AM EDT
[#25]
sub,
No pics...just a blurb from a retired General spokesman on MSNBC. He indicated that A-10's were deployed in the region and suspected they were involved in the "runaway" Taliwhackers outside of Tora Bora...that gatling must be hell to run from? He was'nt positive but, said it would have been sop at this time. Looks like Naval Air has done the majority of ground pounding. AND...NO surrender recognition from our side...hehe.

bust them, till there ain't no mo,
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 5:48:31 AM EDT
[#26]
J Smith,
World tour...yep. Someone's gonna get a hell of lot combat pay after this adventure..."Army of One" will be located at Chase Manhattan bank office complex....easier withdrawals. Ha! Pound them to the ground, them burn their carcasses!

Taliban Season (OPEN)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top