Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2001 6:13:43 PM EDT
i know that they (sound suppressors) can be obtained legally; if your state allows it and you pay the ATF tax, but i was wondering why its not legal to posses a "Muzzle Muffler". for example: taming a .308 down to a 9mm in loudness. ive never seen the actual law on this or how a silencer is properly defined. any links?

legal question lib
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 8:26:16 PM EDT
[#1]
To Moderators:

I should not have posted this topic under general discussion, but either under general firearm discussion or the legal foroum. if possible could you switch this thread to one of the other.

question pondering lib
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 8:40:05 PM EDT
[#2]
You'll have to wait until summer 04'

Right now the problem isnt with noise, its with the fact that suppressors also hide flash, which under the 94 bill is a no no.

That is why you need a pre-ban AR to build a suppressed rifle.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 8:59:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Right now the problem isnt with noise, its with the fact that suppressors also hide flash, which under the 94 bill is a no no.

View Quote

[;)]i own a pre-ban Colt AR. several years ago a gentleman at a Gun show gave me the lo' down on how to acquire a silencer legally. from what i can remember you can buy a threaded barrel for a pistol, pay the ATF tax stamp, and then purchase a registered silencer to put on. how would pre/post-ban affect handguns?
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 9:04:23 PM EDT
[#4]
threaded barrels on handguns are okay
except in cali
they are not restricted by the 94 AW ban
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lets not advertise that .223 Rem can be suppressed, because in reality it can't. If you want .22 caliber suppressed you start with Long Rifle in a 60Gr. projectile fired at 1000 FPS.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 9:15:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Grimshaw, he doesnt want silent.  Look what he said,
for example: taming a .308 down to a 9mm
View Quote

That isnt silenced, but it is enough of a reduction to save your hearing and minimize complaints from neighbors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top