Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2008 11:05:02 AM EDT
About 2 and a half years ago, I told my nephew we could go get a kitten or a puppy from a neighbor who had enough to spare. When we got to their farm, my nephew latched on to a white, mangy kitten who looked very sickly. The neighbor brought me to the side and told me the kitten was ill, and probably wouldn't survive very long at all. It had patches of hair missing, and couldn't walk very well. They were talking about putting it down because it would cost over 200 dollars to even have the procedure done that would POSSIBLY save her.

Well at anyrate, my nephew absolutely refused to leave without that kitten. After some heart pulling speeches, I finally gave in. I paid to have the procedure done. About two weeks later, the cat had pulled through and was actually quite playful and fun.

Oh yea, and my nephew is allergic to cats

So now... I have her. And she is still a lot of fun, 2 years later.

had to get pics of her while she slept. She's very rambunctious.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#1]
She's beautiful.

Makes me sneeze looking at her.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 11:23:21 AM EDT
[#2]
that's a chubby one

She likes to sleep on/in plastic bags? Isn't that dangerous ?
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 11:25:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Is this because of the cat recipe thread?
Cute (delicious) looking cat!
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 11:26:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I miss my little shithead.

Parents found him in 3 lanes of traffic and he was so small he couldn't jump the curb to get back on the sidewalk.   Most ungrateful "rescue" you'd ever see.   Unfortunately I only get to see him every 2-3 months for a weekend now after moving to an apartment that doesn't allow pets and I having to leave him with the old neighbors.

Link Posted: 10/19/2008 11:27:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Got our first cat because friends wife found out she was allergic.
The cat had been sleeping in their bed at night.
They got another one later but it could not go into their bedroom.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 11:28:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Your not the heartless Prick I thought you were.        

Your just a bit softy prick.              

You did good.        
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 11:37:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Good job.  People who rescue animals have a place in heaven.

When I was at the vet last month in the waiting room, a hispanic family came in.  Only the kids spoke english and after a bit of translation between parents, kids, and the receptionist, it was determined that this family had brought in a dog they found in the road, hit by a car.  The dog was still outside in the back of the truck.  It was explained to the family that it would be, depending on what needed to be done, very expensive to have the dog seen.  Since it was late (9pm) they were told that if the dog makes it till the morning, they could take it to the SPCA and it would be given care.

The family was clearly distraught, especially the kids.  They left the office.

I don't know, perhaps because it happens so often, how vets can turn away suffering animals.  I realize that they can't afford to give out free care to every animal that comes in, and the family cant afford the bills, but damn.  I think that dynamic would bother me my whole career.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 2:15:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I miss my little shithead.

home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/misc/dontshoot.jpg

Parents found him in 3 lanes of traffic and he was so small he couldn't jump the curb to get back on the sidewalk.   Most ungrateful "rescue" you'd ever see.   Unfortunately I only get to see him every 2-3 months for a weekend now after moving to an apartment that doesn't allow pets and I having to leave him with the old neighbors.

home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/misc/stupidcat2.jpg

Looks like a cute cat. I wasn't really an animal person. But I must say, this cat really is friendly and responsive. Likes to play chase and whatnot.

Quoted:
i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/feldmarschel/bella3.jpg

Your not the heartless Prick I thought you were.        

Your just a bit softy prick.              

You did good.        

Sometimes I display reasonable emotions

Quoted:

I don't know, perhaps because it happens so often, how vets can turn away suffering animals.  I realize that they can't afford to give out free care to every animal that comes in, and the family cant afford the bills, but damn.  I think that dynamic would bother me my whole career.  

I'm a sucker for kids, and for injured animals. I am completely unable to say "no" to either. Which is why I probably would make a horrible father
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top