Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2008 9:21:08 PM EDT
Had a buddy who was a marine, and would hint around about cool stuff he did in vietnam, but never got into details or talked about it much.  I never looked into it further than that.  Well hes been dead about 2 years now, and i want to know if i can find out anything or not.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 9:23:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you can request his records under the freedom of information act, but not being a relative, it will be really basic general stuff.  Just stuff like when he enlisted and was discharged, MOS, etc.  I think you have to be the veteran or an immediate relative to get the full records.  I looked into it for my grandfather's records one time (he was in WWII and is deceased) but never ended up requesting them.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 9:25:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I think you can request his records under the freedom of information act, but not being a relative, it will be really basic general stuff.  Just stuff like when he enlisted and was discharged, MOS, etc.  I think you have to be the veteran or an immediate relative to get the full records.

well i wasnt expecting any great detail.  who would i submit the foia request to.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 9:26:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I was never military, so maybe someone with current or previous service can answer better, but what I had read was this:  www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/standard-form-180.html

ETA:  check this out too, it says you have to actually cite that it's under the Freedom of Information Act in your request if you're not related:  www.stolenvalor.com/foia.htm
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 2:37:48 AM EDT
[#4]
the final DD214 will list all the decorations and awards.  Doesn't say where or why, just lists them.  If it ain't there he didn't get them.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 2:49:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Be aware that DD214's can be notoriously inaccurate depending upon the haste of the exiting veteran and the attention that processing personnel and the veteran gives to details. Many vets simply don't care and just want to depart the area. Half of them won't demand decent physicals...
Future award releases, school/command reporting requirements and G.I. Bill snafu's have led to blanket corrections and inaccurate documentation. Length of service compounds the problem as some of the services no longer issue DD214's upon discharge/reenlistment, getting lost in some administrative grey area as to whether its an extension, reenlistment whatever...
You could go 8-12 or more years without a DD214 if you extend your enlistment.
Typical DOD bureaucratic boondoggles.
DD215's are the corrected versions.

My experience only, YMMV

Just sayin'

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top