Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2008 8:50:34 PM EDT
I went to the range on my day off and saw the darndest thing...

A father teaching his son to shoot in preparation for his Boy Scout Rifle Shooting Merit Badge  

The had a few pistols and 2 immaculately clean Colt AR's. I noticed the father seemed unfamiliar with the ARs and asked if I could help. He seemed shocked and took me up on the offer. I showed him some basics and recommended him to lookup this site.  When looking at the rifle I noticed the bolt/carrier was very dry so I showed him how to lube the parts and gave him the little bottle of Machine Gunner's Lube from LaRue.
He was genuinely appreciative and thanked me with a firm handshake.

As I walked to my truck I actually felt good, not just because it was a beautiful God given AZ day, but because despite all the BS that goes on the world many folks, the dad w/ his son especially, still have their heads and hearts in the right place.

God Bless America & all those that fight for our rights
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 8:54:58 PM EDT
[#1]
good story. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 9:14:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome story
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 9:14:56 PM EDT
[#3]
<edited, now grow up - HD40>

Link Posted: 10/19/2008 1:03:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 1:05:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I went to the range on my day off and saw the darndest thing...

A father teaching his son to shoot in preparation for his Boy Scout Rifle Shooting Merit Badge  

The had a few pistols and 2 immaculately clean Colt AR's. I noticed the father seemed unfamiliar with the ARs and asked if I could help. He seemed shocked and took me up on the offer. I showed him some basics and recommended him to lookup this site.  When looking at the rifle I noticed the bolt/carrier was very dry so I showed him how to lube the parts and gave him the little bottle of Machine Gunner's Lube from LaRue.
He was genuinely appreciative and thanked me with a firm handshake.

As I walked to my truck I actually felt good, not just because it was a beautiful God given AZ day, but because despite all the BS that goes on the world many folks, the dad w/ his son especially, still have their heads and hearts in the right place.

God Bless America & all those that fight for our rights

Where in AZ are you?
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 1:31:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Where in AZ are you?

SE Valley, I was at Rio Salado Gun Club
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:56:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Note to self:
When I return home (13 weeks now) take the oldest son - 7 (Boy Scout Wolf) to the range and let him learn how to safely shoot his "new" 1949 Remington 514.  

Thanks friend!
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:29:17 AM EDT
[#8]
great story
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:34:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:39:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Some of my most memorable shooting experiences were with Scouting.  It's great to hear that Scouts are still having fun at the range.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:44:12 AM EDT
[#11]
My sons a wolf. Sounds like a great thing to do today!

Thanks for a great story!!
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:53:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I never got my rifle shooting merit badge , but now you made me look it up for my son .  

Do the following:
Explain why BB and pellet air guns must always be treated with the same respect as firearms.
Describe how you would react if a friend visiting your home asked to see your or your family's firearm(s).
Explain the need for, and use and types of, eye and hearing   protection.
Give the main points of the laws for owning and using guns in your community and state.
Explain how hunting is related to the wise use of renewable wildlife resources.
Obtain a copy of the hunting laws for your state. Explain the main points of hunting laws in your state and give any special laws on the use of guns or ammunition.
Identify and explain how you can join or be a part of shooting sports activities.
Explain to your counselor the proper hygienic guidelines used in shooting.
Give to your counselor a list of sources that you could contact for information on firearms and their use.

Do ONE of the following options:
OPTION A --- RIFLE SHOOTING (Modern Cartridge Type)
Identify the three main parts of a rifle, and tell how they function.
Identify and demonstrate the three fundamental rules for safe gun handling.
Identify the two types of cartridges, their parts, and how they function.
Explain to your counselor what a misfire, hangfire, and squib fire are, and explain the procedures to follow in response to each.
Identify and demonstrate the five fundamentals of shooting a rifle safely.
Identify and explain each rule for safe shooting.
Demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary to safely shoot a rifle from the bench rest position or supported prone position while using the five fundamentals of rifle shooting.
Identify the basic safety rules for cleaning a rifle, and identify the materials needed
Demonstrate how to clean a rifle properly and safely.
Discuss what points you would consider in selecting a rifle
Using a .22 caliber rimfire rifle and shooting from a bench rest or supported prone position at 50 feet, fire five groups (three shots per group) that can be covered by a quarter. Using these targets, explain how to adjust sights to zero.
Adjust sights to center the group on the target and fire five groups (five shots per group). According to the target used, each shot in the group must meet the following minimum score:
A-32 targets - 9
A-17 or TQ-1 targets - 7,
A-36 targets - 5.

Note: It is not always practical to adjust the sights (i.e. when using a borrowed fixed-sight rifle). For requirement 2l, you may demonstrate your ability to use the shooting fundamentals by shooting five shot groups (five shots per group) in which all shots can be covered by or touch a quarter and then explain how to adjust the sights to zero the rifle.

OPTION B --- AIR RIFLE SHOOTING (BB or Pellet)
Identify the three main parts of an air rifle, and tell how they function.
Identify and demonstrate the three fundamental rules for handling a rifle safely.
Identify the two most common types of air rifle ammunition.
Identify and demonstrate the five fundamentals of shooting a rifle.
Identify and explain each rule for shooting an air rifle safely.
Demonstrate the knowledge, skills and attitude necessary to safely shoot a target from the bench rest position or supported prone position while using the five fundamentals of rifle shooting.
Identify the basic safety rules for cleaning an air rifle, and identify the materials needed.
Demonstrate how to clean an air rifle safely.
Discuss what points you would consider in selecting an air rifle.
Using a BB gun or pellet air rifle and shooting from a bench rest or supported prone position at 15 feet for BB guns or 33 feet for air rifles, fire five groups (three shots per group) that can be covered by a quarter.
Adjust sights to center the group on the target and fire five groups (five shots per group). According to the target used, each shot in the group must meet the following minimum score:
BB rifle at 15 feet or 5 meters using TQ - 5 targets - 8.
Pellet air rifle at 25 feet using TQ - 5 target - 8, at 33 feet or 10 meters using AR-1 targets - 6.

OPTION C --- MUZZLE - LOADING RIFLE SHOOTING
Discuss a brief history of the development of muzzle-loading rifles.
Identify principal parts of percussion and flintlock rifles and discuss how they function.
Demonstrate and discuss the safe handling rules of muzzle-loading rifles.
Identify the various grades of black powder and their proper use.
Discuss proper safety procedures pertaining to black powder use and storage.
Discuss proper components of a load.
Identify proper procedures and accessories used for loading a muzzle-loading rifle.
Demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary to safely shoot a muzzle-loading rifle on a range, including range procedures.
Shoot a target with a muzzle-loading rifle using the five fundamentals of firing the shot.
Identify the materials needed to clean a muzzle- loading rifle safely. Using these materials, demonstrate how to clean a muzzle-loading rifle safely.
Identify the causes of a muzzle-loading rifle's failing to fire and explain or demonstrate proper correction procedures.
Discuss what points you would consider in selecting a muzzle-loading rifle.
Using a muzzle-loading rifle of any caliber and shooting from a bench rest or supported prone position, fire three groups (three shots per group) that can be covered by the base of a standard-size soft soft drink can.
Center the group on the target and fire three groups (five shots per group). According to the target used, each shot in the group must meet the following minimum score:
at 25 yards using NRA A-23 or NMLRA 50-yard targets - 7;
at 50 yards using NRA A-25 or NMLRA 100 yard targets - 7.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:57:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Good job, You win, Sir.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:58:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I earned mine, and have helped a few of my scouts to get theirs.  

My FIL had an invite to a range day for a Cub Scout troop and he had me tag along.  We ended up demoing his old flintlock and percussion rifles.

Then I busted out my Mosin Nagant 91/30 (taller than most of the kids) and let them shoot that.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:04:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Nice story.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:09:58 AM EDT
[#16]
As a father of a Scout and a BSA SM , thanks for helping them out !
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Note to self:
When I return home (13 weeks now) take the oldest son - 7 (Boy Scout Wolf) to the range and let him learn how to safely shoot his "new" 1949 Remington 514.  

Thanks friend!

This Sam Adams is for you
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:04:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for showing him what's great about America. I bet he passes it on.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:34:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

This Sam Adams is for you

I never understood why Sam Adams sells their worst beer year round.  Their seasonals are amazing, but if I really wanted to drink a bottle of hops, I would grab a Boston Lager.

/thread hijack
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:36:51 PM EDT
[#20]
This Eagle Scout and Assistant Scout Master thanks you very much for helping those folks out.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:39:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Good job!

Its nice to see some people still help others out, especially at the range.  I've learned many valuable lessons at the range that I never would have picked up on my own.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#22]
I have taught the Fly Fishing merit badge and it just warms your heart to see them catch their fisrt fish on a fly they tied.
Tx stuff
Sunfish and a few Bass.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:44:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the good deed.

My wife and son just got back from their Mom and Me campout.

BigDozer66
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top