Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2008 7:58:38 PM EDT
I'm changing out my rear brake pads and ran into a snag.   The new pads won't fit.  Is it common to have to "fit" the pads?  They are a hair (maybe 1/32inch) to big in the "ear" area indicated in the pic-

Is this common?  I've changed out quite a few pads and never had to fit any.  

thanks!
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#1]
It is not common to have to fit them. You can either take a file to them, or have them exchanged for another set.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 8:01:24 PM EDT
[#2]
You have something wrong. They should fit without modification. Bring them back to where you bought them. Check to see if maybe they gave you the wrong year.

ktm500
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 8:02:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Sometimes it's just the coating they put on them that makes them hard to fit. Like the post above me, I took a small file to mine.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 8:03:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Somebody done messed up somewhere.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 8:06:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Either they gave you the wrong pads or casting flash is holding you up.

I would exchange them for another set.

Those kind of pads are supposed to slide back and forth with the caliper piston.

If they dont slide it can overheat the pads and rotor and cause problems.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Are they Chinese?  I put a set on my Alero...once.  They were just a shade too big in the same area and so they didn't float properly.  Left brake dust everywhere and wore out in three months.  

I specify American made brake pads now.  I had to get them special.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 8:07:19 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are talking about a tight fit where you have to file down some rough burrs to get it on you might be ok.  If you gotta change the shape of it you need to get your ass back to the store and exchange for the correct ones.  Brakes is like surgeons.  Something you want done right the first time every time.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 8:10:40 PM EDT
[#8]
OEM fit right every time from my experience, this is why I always recommend that.  Saves me headache getting them on and you headache if I have to get them exchanged.  Some companies are just as good (Brembo comes to mind) but many after market are cheep and the fit is just not quite there many times.  

If these are OEM, take them back and get another set they could have been missmarked.  If aftermarket, the same.

This does not include, like some say just getting some flashing off or paint sometimes.  That is ok to sand down.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 8:11:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Either they gave you the wrong pads or casting flash is holding you up.

I would exchange them for another set.

Those kind of pads are supposed to slide back and forth with the caliper piston.

If they dont slide it can overheat the pads and rotor and cause problems.

This function is important! Get a set that fits.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 8:12:22 PM EDT
[#10]
No it is not common to have to fit pads.  I have ran in to some that have had a little to much paint or casting flash that has caused fitment issues, but these have always been lower end/store brand pads. I prefer to use either wagner thermoquiet's or the raybestos pg series pads and never have fitment problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top