Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2008 7:27:19 PM EDT
Killed two. My buddy also shot two and gave them to me.

All cleaned, two in salt water in the frige, the other two in the freezer. Tomorrow they go in a crock pot with potatos, carrots, etc.

Lots of fun. Used my .410 pump Mossberg. It's a tree rat slayer!

We took our sons with us (both 8 yrs old) and taught them as we went, safety and hunting skills.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 7:31:39 PM EDT
[#1]
What part of MO, I usually go once a year to Shawnee Nat Forest in Southern IL, about 40 mi from Cape Girardeau.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 1:38:49 AM EDT
[#2]
North central Missouri, between Brookfield and Macon off of HWY 36.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 1:40:50 AM EDT
[#3]
You went at night?  WTF  you guys do things a little diff out there,  usually hit them up early AM  right as suns coming up,  they are frisky then and more fun to get a spot on.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 1:49:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

All cleaned, two in salt water in the frige, the other two in the freezer. Tomorrow they go in a crock pot with potatos, carrots, etc.

We took our sons with us (both 8 yrs old) and taught them as we went, safety and hunting skills.

My first hunt was for squirrel.  I remember the whole thing like it was yesterday.  I spotted the first squirrel before my father did, and blasted it with my break action 20 gauge.  I distinctly remember how it felt heavier than I thought it would be carrying it back to the house.  It was pretty tasty on the grill with some BBQ sauce....

I would also like to use this post to say thanks Dad!!!

And to topknot:  Your son will never forget these moments.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 1:50:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

You sir are a good father  

I remember going out with my dad. . .even when I was cold and miserable, looking back I was still having a good time
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 1:57:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You went at night?  WTF  you guys do things a little diff out there,  usually hit them up early AM  right as suns coming up,  they are frisky then and more fun to get a spot on.

No, we were out there from 1600 to about 1730.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 2:00:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My first hunt was for squirrel.  I remember the whole thing like it was yesterday.  I spotted the first squirrel before my father did, and blasted it with my break action 20 gauge.  I distinctly remember how it felt heavier than I thought it would be carrying it back to the house.  It was pretty tasty on the grill with some BBQ sauce....

I would also like to use this post to say thanks Dad!!!

And to topknot:  Your son will never forget these moments.

Thanks Mr. Bronson.  I tell him how I hunted with my dad, am passing it to him as tradition, and that someday he will hopefully take his son hunting...

Link Posted: 10/19/2008 2:03:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You sir are a good father  

I remember going out with my dad. . .even when I was cold and miserable, looking back I was still having a good time

Haha, thanks.  I've spent some cold days hunting with dad (especially rabbit).  Yesterday could not have been more perfect, weather-wise.  Cool, clear Autumn day.  

We did a combination of sitting and "still hunting" (slowly walk a bit, then stand still and listen).

The boys were really good and listened to instruction.  Next time I will let my son carry his BB Gun just to teach muzzle discipline when hunting.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 3:47:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Going to follow this recipe:

Squirrel Stew

~ 3 squirrels, cleaned and cut up
~ 1/4 cup all purpose flour
~ 1 teaspoon salt
~ 1/2 teaspoon pepper
~ 2 slices bacon
~ 2 tablespoons butter
~ 5 cups of water
~ 1 - 28 oz can whole tomatoes
~ 1 chopped onion
~ 1 heaping tablespoon of brown sugar
~ 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
~ 1 - 10 oz package frozen lima beans
~ 1 cup frozen corn
~ 3 tablespoons all purpose flour

Combine 1/4 cup flour, salt and pepper. Coat the squirrel pieces.

In a Dutch oven, combine bacon and butter over medium heat until butter melts. Add squirrel and brown.

Add water, tomatoes, onion and brown sugar and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

Remove squirrel pieces and let cool. Remove meat from bones.

Add meat, potatoes, beans and corn to Dutch oven. Heat to boiling, reduce heat and cover. Simmer until potatoes are tender.

Mix 3 tablespoons of flour with 3 tablespoons of cold water, then stir into stew. Heat to boiling.

Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, bubbly.

Serve with warm rolls and enjoy!

http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zsquir3.html

Bacon and butter.

Squirrel meat after soaking in salt water overnight.  Cut up with kitchen shears, salted and peppered.

Coated in flour, browning.

Browning up nicely.  Smells good.

One onion added.

1 quart of home canned tomatoes, water, brown sugar, and seasoned salt added.

Simmering for 2 hours...

MOAR pics to come!
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 3:57:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:01:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
When I was in junior high school my buddy insisted we cook up the squirrels we shot. Haven't  considered doing that again.

Hehe, yeah a tough old gamey squirrel can be pretty horrible if not properly prepared.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:03:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Hey that looks good, yet I dont want to piss on your parade.....this is just some friendly advice, dont cook acid based foods such as tomato's, vinegar etc. in Aluminum pots or pans.

It has been suspected that can lead to alzheimers ( sp) disease, try stoneware, stainless etc.

.410... I,ve always wanted to get one of those for thumping squirrels out of trees!
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:06:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Hey that looks good, yet I dont want to piss on your parade.....this is just some friendly advice, dont cook acid based foods such as tomato's, vinegar etc. in Aluminum pots or pans.

It has been suspected that can lead to alzheimers ( sp) disease, try stoneware, stainless etc.

.410... I,ve always wanted to get one of those for thumping squirrels out of trees!

Gah!!  That's gram's old pan.

I will heed that in the future, thanks!  My memory is short enough without helping it along.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:30:04 AM EDT
[#14]

Removed the meat from bones (falling apart tender), and returned it to stew, added potatoes.  Cooking some more. Didn't have lima beans unfortunately, so added carrots and a half a green pepper, and celery.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:35:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Umm...ummmmm......love me some squirrels. Good job taking the boys hunting. They will remember and speak of it for the rest of their lives.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:42:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll make believe that this bowl of cereal is the squirrel stew.

Taste like cereal..
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:44:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Looks good.  I have been taking my son along ever since he could carry them by the tail.  He has a .410 of his own now but I still enjoy squirrel hunting.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:46:14 AM EDT
[#18]
dinner pc = 10!

And a tag for future squirrel stew for me.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:03:16 AM EDT
[#19]
That looks damn tasty.
I love me some squirrel
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:09:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

They are crepuscular (sp?) -- active at dawn and dusk, and I prefer dawn also.

They also seem to be very active when you are stalking deer, the little bastards!
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:12:58 AM EDT
[#21]
10/10
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:16:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Can you pack me up a quart of that and ship it to VA?

Looks great...
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:22:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Honestly the thought of butchering and eating a squirrel sickens me......but I dare say you make it look appetizing!! bravo homey
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:32:37 AM EDT
[#24]
If I didn't live in the city. I'd go squirrel hunting every night until I ran out of squirrels. Damn bushy tailed rodents eating all my pecans.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 9:32:51 AM EDT
[#25]
My Dad always warned me about eating squirrels prior to the first frost.  He claims that the frost kills the wolves (parasites) and then they are good to eat.  What do you all say about this?
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 9:37:40 AM EDT
[#26]
"Where's Eddie?  He usually eats these goddamn things"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdiXSsFp29s
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 9:42:19 AM EDT
[#27]
People really DO eat those rodents!  I am shocked, literally.  I thought it was the stuff of redneck legend and survival TV shows.

Link Posted: 10/19/2008 9:49:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 9:58:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Taking my boys up for their first hunt next weekend, I suspect we'll have a mixed bag of chipmunks, prairie dog, squirrel, wrens, rabbit, crow, tree limbs, etc. I'm probably going to steal your stew recipe here in the faint hope that something will be edible.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 10:14:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Squirrel is awesome. If you like it fried try this.

Cut up the squirrel into several pieces.
Fry them up using your favorite batter
Then put the fried squirrel into the pressure cooker until tender.

Mmmmm, good stuff.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
My Dad always warned me about eating squirrels prior to the first frost.  He claims that the frost kills the wolves (parasites) and then they are good to eat.  What do you all say about this?

We follow that rule for rabbits.  Haven't heard that around here for squirrel though.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Taking my boys up for their first hunt next weekend, I suspect we'll have a mixed bag of chipmunks, prairie dog, squirrel, wrens, rabbit, crow, tree limbs, etc. I'm probably going to steal your stew recipe here in the faint hope that something will be edible.

Best of luck and have a great time out there with your boys.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 10:30:12 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Squirrel is awesome. If you like it fried try this.

Cut up the squirrel into several pieces.
Fry them up using your favorite batter
Then put the fried squirrel into the pressure cooker until tender.

Mmmmm, good stuff.

Will give that a try with the two in the freezer.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 10:46:37 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
People really DO eat those rodents!  I am shocked, literally.  I thought it was the stuff of redneck legend and survival TV shows.

First you didn't know what a possum was and now this.  Your introduction to Texas is near complete.  WE WILL MAKE YOU ONE OF US YET!

Hint: Cajuns are trained from birth to eat whatever MeeMaw (grandmother) puts in front of you.

ETA: fried squirrel can be VERY good, but I've yet to figure out my grandmother's secret recipe.

Link Posted: 10/19/2008 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Limb Chicken. Tree Rat.

Some have bigger balls than some men do.

Freaky little rodents.

Link Posted: 10/19/2008 10:53:30 AM EDT
[#36]
I ate a few squirrels I shot 25 years back.  

I fried their legs in butter and Amaretto liquor.

mmmmmm good and nutty too

I don't think I have the stomach to do that today

Link Posted: 10/19/2008 10:55:09 AM EDT
[#37]
I've made squirrel chili, it's not bad
WITH BEANS FTW!!!
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 10:55:15 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

First you didn't know what a possum was and now this.  Your introduction to Texas is near complete.  WE WILL MAKE YOU ONE OF US YET!

Hint: Cajuns are trained from birth to eat whatever MeeMaw (grandmother) puts in front of you.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/Jbays/P1010119.jpg

ETA: fried squirrel can be VERY good, but I've yet to figure out my grandmother's secret recipe.

I wouldn't be opposed to eating it (for reasons other than survival), especially after a couple beers and some peer pressure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top