Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2001 8:38:22 AM EDT
America was attacked by terrorists. God bless all the family members/friends/hero's we lost that day.

Now that America is healing, anyone have anything they want to say?

[usa]
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 9:34:08 AM EDT
[#1]
How easy it is for some to draw themselves back into their lives and move blindly along forgetting about the past, lives lost and those who live on.

Thanks for the reminder...
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#2]
terriorist bastards interrupted my drinking that day. but no really i like the taliban, there a nice group of people,    FOR ME TO POOP ON!  (courtesy of triumph the insult dog)
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 9:44:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Our building played the National Anthem at 8:46am.

No offence, but are we going to have another at 4 months? 5 months? 8 months, 13 months, 17 months etc.  Maybe this is needed to make sure people don't forget or something. [rolleyes]

Link Posted: 12/11/2001 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#4]
It’s really sad to see the number of displayed American flags dwindling to the pre-September 11 level.
It seems that America’s tragic wake up call was instead a temporary inconvenience to most people. I pray to God that I’m wrong.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 10:25:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I haven't seen much of a diminish.

Here at work, a lot of the doors have 8x11 printed flags taped to their doors.  

On the way home, I pass a few condos and a lot of flags are flying from their balconies.

There is supposed to be a large flag flown on the crane above the Pentagon today.  If it is there tomorrow, I'll snap a photo with my camera.

Link Posted: 12/11/2001 10:30:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 2:46:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There is supposed to be a large flag flown on the crane above the Pentagon today.  If it is there tomorrow, I'll snap a photo with my camera.
View Quote

Can you please post the pix. I haven't seen too many pix of the Pentagon, what little I see now is just from the WTC.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry, looks like they folded it up after the ceremony.  

As far as the pentagon.  It looked like the inital damage was only about 100 feet wide.  But almost the entire side was gutted by fire.  The have removed about 600 feet of the pentagon and rows D and E.  I took a picture last month.  I'll post it below.  I'll try to snap one tomorrow but since I'm driving by at 35 mph, its a little difficult to get a good picture. [:)]

What you see below, they have since removed everything in the left part of the photo and about 40 feet to the right.  

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/004/wy/6L/Bb/nk61723.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 10:33:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sorry, looks like they folded it up after the ceremony.  

As far as the pentagon.  It looked like the inital damage was only about 100 feet wide.  But almost the entire side was gutted by fire.  The have removed about 600 feet of the pentagon and rows D and E.  I took a picture last month.  I'll post it below.  I'll try to snap one tomorrow but since I'm driving by at 35 mph, its a little difficult to get a good picture. [:)]

What you see below, they have since removed everything in the left part of the photo and about 40 feet to the right.
View Quote

I saw a brief 30 sec sound bite on the 11pm news of the ceremony at the Pentagon.

Wow, that is devastation. I'm glad that my family went on the free guided tour of the Pentagon on our vacation to Washington DC in July of '99. That place is HUGE. It took us over an hour to walk around the whole place. I'm pretty sure they cut out the tours because of damage to the place, and of course security concerns. I heard that it is costing $1 billion to fix. I would appreciate a more current picture, just be careful while driving and trying to take a picture.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 12:21:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Here are the two best I snapped today.  No, I wasn't driving, I was in the passenger seat.  Notice the christmas tree on the top of the building near the right.  It is lighted with colored lights at night.  Also, they are starting to build the ground floor.

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/022/B3/CY/v8/7K78039.jpg[/img]

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/028/Pf/oK/V7/7X88049.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 12:39:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No offence, but are we going to have another at 4 months? 5 months? 8 months, 13 months, 17 months etc.  Maybe this is needed to make sure people don't forget or something. [rolleyes]

View Quote

Maybe a a better idea would be to have each network news program show a biography WITH pictures/video of one dead or missing person* from the WTC/Pentagon attacks each day until all 3,000 or so have been covered in succession.

One dead man, woman, or child a day; that means the public wil have to deal with this in graphic form for about eight years or so?.....

That would certainly get MY attention, and I doubt I will EVER forget that day anyway...

*EXCEPT the hijackers- their names should be as dust....
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#12]
just another example that we will prevail.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 12:54:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It’s really sad to see the number of displayed American flags dwindling to the pre-September 11 level.
It seems that America’s tragic wake up call was instead a temporary inconvenience to most people. I pray to God that I’m wrong.
View Quote

Most people in the USA aren't in the armed forces, and, sadly, they look down on people who are. So, if it doesn't directly affect them, they don't care. People who have never served, and who go to great lengths not to, often don't care if their new flags have frayed or fallen into the dirt on the side of the road. The flag just doesn't mean the same thing to them as it does to many here.

Flag-waving was hip and cool among the general public for a few weeks, and now, so as not to feel afraid and uneasy, and to avoid having to confront their own powerlessness, they don't talk about 9/11 all that much. F'rinstance: how often do coworkers and family discuss the events anymore? I'll bet everybody's afraid of stirring up their own emotions of fear and uncertainty. Life's a bitch, but nobody in cushy middle-class America likes being reminded of it.

HL Mencken had a word for people like these: the "booboisie"....

Instant patriotism: add blood, then stir. It settles quickly enough, when people realise what it might cost them....
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 1:11:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I hate to put a damper on all the whining, but in case you haven't noticed every single month of the year has an 11 in it.  Does that mean on January 11 you're gonna post "4 months ago today at 0846 hours EST...." and on February 11 you're gonna post "5 months ago today at 0846 hours EST...." and on March 11 you're gonna post "6 months ago today at 0846 hours EST...." ad infinitum.....

These artificial anniversaries are meaningless and have no bearing on the events that happened.  Give it a rest.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I hate to put a damper on all the whining, but in case you haven't noticed every single month of the year has an 11 in it.  Does that mean on January 11 you're gonna post "4 months ago today at 0846 hours EST...." and on February 11 you're gonna post "5 months ago today at 0846 hours EST...." and on March 11 you're gonna post "6 months ago today at 0846 hours EST...." ad infinitum.....

These artificial anniversaries are meaningless and have no bearing on the events that happened.  Give it a rest.
View Quote

I beg to differ with you on this point of remembering.  This catastrophic calminity is of national proportions.  Can you think of any event in your life that is nationally more significant? 3,000 people are killed, mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, friends. There will many children that won't be able see to their mom and dads again. To put things in prespective, try to imagine how many people is 3,200 which is the approximate toll.  My son's high school has 3,500 people.  And not to mention the billions of property damage.  Of course you don't have to click on this thread.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 7:34:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, I've got something to say:

That very day, when I walked in to the Transit Base and saw on the TV in the bullpen my country and symbols being forever changed, I felt uneasy as hell.
It was real.
It is real.
When I went to drive my assignment, which on this particular run, was to take kids to the same school that Bill Gates attended, I was thinking that these kids had no idea how much different the world had become that morning.
Then, as I was driving to the terminal at the beginning of the route, we got a call on the radio from the Coordinator that the Pentagon had been hit.  Holy shitballs.
I was driving down the road in a bus, looking out across the lake at the water and the mountains, on my way to pick up children and take them to school.  Here was a normally serene early morning scene, shattered by the reality that America was indeed being attacked by people and for reasons unknown.
I couldn't believe I had the Freedom to go about my business and at the same time feel like I should turn around and go home to lock and load.
This day of September 11, 2001 would be the strangest of my life so far.
When I heard about the plane going down in PA, I was thinking about taking a couple of days off.

Now, three months later, I'm driving in Downtown and see a small 4-door car backed up to a support column for the off-ramp from the freeway.  It is unoccupied with the hazard lights blinking and the trunk is directly up against the column...
There were no people in or around the car.
Suffice it to say, I reported it immediately due to the suspicious nature of the scene.
Next trip, it was gone.
What was going on there?  Who knows.
Our lives are different now.  
Stay alert and be vigilant.
Kickin' ass and takin' names won't hurt, either.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 11:49:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Here are the two best I snapped today.  No, I wasn't driving, I was in the passenger seat.  Notice the christmas tree on the top of the building near the right.  It is lighted with colored lights at night.  Also, they are starting to build the ground floor.
View Quote

Thanks for the pix.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top