Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2008 11:39:50 AM EDT
Who all rides a bicycle to work? Any problems with cars and such?
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#1]

Any problems with cars and such?

cars raped my aunt
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 11:41:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I dont... right now I could walk to work but too lazy. Have a bicycle I need to get a new seat for a new new tire and after I move I might start biking to work.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 11:44:16 AM EDT
[#3]
i ride residential streets. no problems. some drivers are just idiots though and bikes don't even register in their minds or field of vision. never take anything for granted when it comes to vehicles.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to, about 10 miles each way.

Some of that was on a bike path, most was on highly travelled roads.

Fortunately, I never had an interaction with a motorized vehicle.

Not my bike, but one like it.

Motobecane Super Mirage, bought new in the late 1970s.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:29:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Commute to work as long as it's not raining too hard.  Eleven miles each way, and I work ten days a month on average.  Shower and change once I get to work.  

Public roads w/ a 4 mile stretch of 55 mile two lane divided highway.  No adverse interactions so far but I try to act as if no one sees me, I also use lighting forward and backwards and a reflective vest.

Lots of good info on bikeforums.net

Used to ride a GIANT Cypress Hybrid but I upgraded to a Cannondale Synapse 3.  Definitely a nicer riding bike that took about 10-15 minutes of my commute.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:32:33 PM EDT
[#6]
When im feeling up for it I do. Its only a 15min ride for me. I actually go out of my way just so i can ride on a bike path that is beside a river. It is all rather pleasant. More so on the way to work then on the way home.

But if i had to battle traffic i wouldnt ride to work. Fuck that, trucks are scary when they pass you 6 inches away...
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:32:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Who all rides a bicycle to work? Any problems with cars and such?

I do.  Yes, people are dicks and seem to have a special hatred for someone riding a bicycle.

Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:35:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Not since I was a teen 25-plus years ago. At the time it was a few miles of rural roads and a bit of city traffic, then a bike trail or two to get to work.
My town is big on trying to promote biking to work; they even want to eliminate on-street parking for cars on some streets to create bike lanes. That always bugs me because biking in my town is essentially a 4-5 month window. I used to bike up til about october and then it was simply too cold. i see a few hardy souls who bike through the entire upstate NY winter and I figure they must have no other options or be really hardcore fitness types.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:37:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I ride a few miles around the city nearly every day and haven't had a major problem.
Assume every driver is blind because most don't see you.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:40:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Not since I was a teen 25-plus years ago. At the time it was a few miles of rural roads and a bit of city traffic, then a bike trail or two to get to work.
My town is big on trying to promote biking to work; they even want to eliminate on-street parking for cars on some streets to create bike lanes. That always bugs me because biking in my town is essentially a 4-5 month window. I used to bike up til about october and then it was simply too cold. i see a few hardy souls who bike through the entire upstate NY winter and I figure they must have no other options or be really hardcore fitness types.

I think bike lanes are a great idea. Even better are designated bike paths. Lots of them in my city, they are used a lot. Its great to see whole families getting out and riding together.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:45:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I do. Six miles each way, rain or shine, in Houston. Fifty-fifty mix of two lane and frontage roads.

The main things to remember, observe the rules of the road, be visible, be predictable.

I only have to deal with jerks about once a year.

I ride a Novara Randonee as I think a good touring bike makes one hell of a general purpose bike.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
[I think bike lanes are a great idea. Even better are designated bike paths. Lots of them in my city, they are used a lot. Its great to see whole families getting out and riding together.

Yes, we have  alot of trails...old railbeds, etc. You shouldn't be taking away on-street parking to create them, especially when biking is a seasonal pasttime in the northeast.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd ride all the time, but there are no showers where I work. The smell isn't bad, but I can't stand the women complaining.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 9:02:36 PM EDT
[#14]
16 years without a car in Southern Idaho. 5 bikes worn out during that time. Currently on a Gary Fisher Montare.

Mikey
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 12:41:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I wish I could.

Work is a 30 mile one way trip, and the final destination is in the ghetto of south Phoenix.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 12:50:29 AM EDT
[#16]
I do sometimes, depending on the weather and my shift.

6.2mi each way.  mostly residential streets and canal pathways and a few major streets.

I use a 29" mtn bike because it is not all pavement in the transitions.

no problems at all, as I avoid major streets as much as possible in one of the worst driving areas in the world.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Been riding to work off and on for the past couple of years.  The last 10 weeks have
only been on the bike.  18 miles one way.  Been lucky with the rain.  Only
got wet once.  Vehicles not a problem.  

http://www.hernandosportsmansclub.com/images/ezrider/TE1.jpg
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 4:51:33 PM EDT
[#18]
13 miles each way.
I only ride when the weather is nice.
I have a shower at work. I drive once a week to drop off clean clothes & towels, and take home the dirty laundry.
I saved a ton of $ on gas this summer!

If you are concerned about riding in traffic get the book "The Art of Urban Cycling" by Robert Hurst. It has tons of great info for surviving on the roads.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 5:06:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Been riding to work off and on for the past couple of years.  The last 10 weeks have

www.hernandosportsmansclub.com/images/ezrider/TE1.jpg

Hey ponger, your bike is bent
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 5:07:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Due to lack of safe roads I do not ride to work but, I do an 11 mile loop during my lunch hour.  In my area, traffic is always a problem
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#21]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

www.hernandosportsmansclub.com/images/ezrider/TE1.jpg

Hey ponger, your bike is benthat
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top