Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2001 7:06:21 AM EDT
Lately I've noticed an interesting trend. It appears that many Blacks in the south are starting to display the Confederate Flag.  I've heard it's because they are finally beginning to accept it as a symbol of heritage instead of hatred. And since their ancestors apparently played such a key role in building the old south, they feel it is a way to show their pride, just like southern Whites who fly the flag.

Anyone else noticed this trend???    
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 7:38:29 AM EDT
[#1]
As a black friend, who has a Ford full-size pick-up with a Confederate flag on the bumper, explained to me, he has more in common with me than he does with the blacks he sees on TV.  As he said, the flag represents the fight against the federal government's intrusion into his life and theft (his word) from his paycheck.  He later explained that it didn't matter one bit whether or not some "bubba" didn't like him, but he had to care about the government because he didn't have the choise not to.z
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 7:46:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Heck, it's their heritage, too!

Eric The(Clueless)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 8:10:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Lately I've noticed an interesting trend. It appears that many Blacks in the south are starting to display the Confederate Flag.  I've heard it's because they are finally beginning to accept it as a symbol of heritage instead of hatred. And since their ancestors apparently played such a key role in building the old south, they feel it is a way to show their pride, just like southern Whites who fly the flag.

Anyone else noticed this trend???    
View Quote

Well, shoot - I suggested this approach LONG ago.

The BEST way to disarm racist bigots is to adopt the symbol they MISUSE and ABUSE to show hatred.

The Conf. flag is NOTHING more than a piece of cloth. It is NOT about hatred. But some misuse it for that.

If blacks would adopt the flag on a widescale basis, the racists would reliaze it no longer holds any power over them. And THAT is what racism is ALL about  - POWER.

Same holds true for all forms of racism. Blacks should hold cross burnings, re-legitimize the term "nigger," purposefully sit in the back of the bus - ANYTHING that is NOT physically injurious that a racist uses against them, they should adopt.

The racists will come to realize the black man has "got them." Eventually, they'll give up trying.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 8:49:15 AM EDT
[#4]
It's like when gays started calling themselves "queers".
They took a word that had been a negative, and neutralized it.
Smart.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 8:54:15 AM EDT
[#5]
So it's ok to use the word 'queer'?

Whew! So is that line in 'Deck the Halls' going to be changed to:

'Don we now our [u]queer[/u] apparel, falalalalalalalala'?

Eric The(WellThenExpectMeToUseItMoreOften,Too!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 9:36:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Lately I've noticed an interesting trend. It appears that many Blacks in the south are starting to display the Confederate Flag.  ...  Anyone else noticed this trend???    
View Quote

No, I had not.  I hope it spreads though.  I find it aggrevating that groups like the KKK use symbols that I appreciate (Confed. flag, American flag, the Bible, etc.) to preach their warped reality.  Time to take the PR offensive back from the racists.

I do remember reading a few years ago about the black guy in the south who started a clothing company.  Being proud of his Southern heritage and his African ancestry, his company's logo was the Confederate flag in the colors associated with Africa.  (Red, green, and black, I believe.)

DrMark
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 9:38:49 AM EDT
[#7]
yeah , that company's still around. it's at www.nusouth.org I think, maybe www.nusouth.com .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top